Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 July 2012
I've had a mixed relationship with this book. I was very pleased to find it as there are very few books in Greek that offer to expand your vocab beyond that of the beginner. At first I was a bit disappointed as it didn't give the kinds of words I was looking for which was more general conversation words and words I might find in newspapers. Which it very clearly doesn't set out to do. What you get is 15 sections divided pretty much on standard teach yourself books lines, restaurant, travel, places, health, work etc. Plus ones on education and media (inc computing which was helpful). But they do give a lot more words than you normally get along with the basics that are in most books. I found it very easy to use and learnt most of the words over two weeks while in Greece on holiday and found I was noticing and using them which I was very pleased about. I didn't use the flash cards as the book was mostly used on the beach or outdoors somewhere. I might well do for revision and bedding in over the winter. Note that only the basic words are covered in the flash cards, the advanced words are not. So far, so good.

BUT, even though fairly much a self-taught beginner I have noticed 3 mistakes and there could be others: melos, "member" and meros, "place" are classic examples of neuter (not masculine) words that end in -os, although the plural of the former is correctly given as meli(---eta)in an example. Meyethos "size" on the other hand is correct as neuter. Tsepi, "pocket" is pretty obviously not neuter as suggested, but feminine.

I would probably have given the book 4 stars without the errors, but have decided on a very generous three, as I suspect they may be the only ones.
on 14 February 2011
I ordered this product as I already have an understanding of the Greek language, from a mixture of learning a basic course and then living over in Greece for several months, but I had never fully understood the grammer side of the language, as it is really difficult to grasp. The reviews for this product reassured me that this could be a good choice to brush up what knowledge I have already, and to improve. Its been an excellent choice, and I would highly reccommend it, easy to pick up and put down whenever you have the time. The flash cards I find are particularly a good way of memorising lots of handy words.Also will be handy to take on my travells to refresh my learning. A really good choice, I will be ordering the advanced course very soon.
on 6 April 2010
I used this as a refresher course along with the Michel Thomas courses ( Hara Garafoulia also appears in these ). The CD recording is a little fast paced if you are a beginner but it does what it says on the tin and helps you build vocab.

Its not a course in its own right though, although the flash cards are useful.
on 21 June 2010
This book is great for self-learning. It is excellently laid out with a really nice clear font. There are some great tips at the beginning and the sections have been well thought-out. I especially love the flashcards - exactly what I've been looking for!
on 3 May 2010
I learnt a reasonable standard of Greek several years ago & whilst construction of sentences etc was ok, the basic need is for words & lots of them, in order to build up communication. With a cs & flashcards this book is an ideal way of building vocabulary at say 5-10 words per day,or more to suit individual abilities.
The only limit is the time which you can afford to devote.
on 11 April 2011
If you have a bit difficulty in memorizing new words, just cut the flash cards, carry them around with you in a small box, e.g. a 35 mm film box and read it while waiting for the bus, on a brake, when you are waiting for someone. Use the exercises to prove your memorization improvement.. I've been telling all my greek student colleagues to get it. Very clear, has the essencial. Perfect for a 101 learner! Good luck
on 1 December 2011
I'm sure the vocabulary cards will be great in the long run but this is a fairly unstructured way to try to learn Greek. The CD is literally a list of Greek words - no translation so you need to have the book with you too. Michel Thomas course is better.
on 9 April 2014
I was unable to follow the CD's. The male voice was too fast and I was unable to just repeat the sentence without going back to the start of the section. I would have liked to have seen the same sentence spelt phonetically and spoken more slowly to begin with. I thought that the flash cards were a good idea but I would have liked sections in the book on numbers, days of the week and months. it was too advanced for me, not suitable for beginners and therefore an expensive outlay.
on 10 January 2012
I have found this a very informative book and will be trying to learn as much as possible before I return to Greece. It has many useful phrases and I am very pleased with it.
on 18 February 2013
Good book for stimulating those who find learning vocabulary a chore - really helps build up a disciplined approach to learning some of the more difficult words by topic. Very beneficial to kick start greater mastery of the langauge.