5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Comprehensive Reference Book, 3 Nov. 2011
Brett H (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
We have recently installed a garden pond and coming off a position of nil knowledge, we needed a down to earth guide so that we could avoid the possibly fatal (to the fish!) pitfalls.

This is a short, concise, but very thorough guide which was able to answer the list of questions we had put together. The filtering system was a concern and there is a very extensive section on this including how to choose the right filter, when to run it and the care and maintenance of the system. Plants are another interesting topic which is well covered - I always fancied having snails in the pond as I know they eat algae. However, I quickly learned that this was a very bad idea as although they will eat algae they have a fondness for plants which is their preference!

What fish to buy, what sizes and how many is another topic which will exercise the minds of most pond keepers. Again the book was very clear with instructions that 24 inches of fish per square meter of surface area was about right, though you should allow for growth. Some fish are very compatible such as goldfish and koi. However, the catfish which my wife has been fancying proved to be another very bad idea as it appears they grow and grow and regard the other pond inhabitants as a tasty snack!

So to summarise, if you are interested in ponds, but have little knowledge this guide is going to teach you all the basics you will need. I imagine that even if your knowledge is already extensive you will still learn quite a lot here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 17 July 2009
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
I have recently purchased a house with a large overgrown drained pond. With no prior knowledge of ponds, this book has helped me get it up and running and it now looks fantastic. I will also use this as a reference book for any problems i have in the future. Well recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
If you are a beginner, have never read any thing about keeping a pond before, and looking for a good book to get you going, the content is very good.

If you're in a position like myself, where you have: inherited a pond that wasn't very well set up, built a new pond based on differing points of view and recommendations, tried various methods to keep either pond clear, then this book will help you understand where you have gone wrong and realise perhaps you should have read such a book at the beginning, but I don't feel that it contains enough in-depth technical information to design a pond from scratch with out consulting other sources of information.

I am hoping to enlarge my second pond (apparently I'm not the only one) and have found from reading this book that I need a more specific technical understanding regarding filter and pump selection for specific applications, as it seems that even aquatic centre staff can get it wrong. I have also found that there is a wealth of information out there, much of it is contradictory as what works in some cases does not necesarily work in others, and that building a balanced eco system is not as simple as filling a plastic bag with water and expecting nature to do what you want it to, although some people do make it look that easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Garden Pond, 20 July 2011
G. Kent (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
Bought for my husband and he hasn't had his nose out of it since. Full of excellent information about pond maintenance. Excellent buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 13 May 2013
J. Stephen Solar "Solarteedoh" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
Handy little book that is not full of over-long descriptions. It tells you what you need to know in a concise way and is clear and well written. Plenty of illustrations too. Some may prefer more detail in the text but this was fine for me and told me all I wanted to know. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book!, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
interesting book with lots of tips, helpful information's and lots of illustrated photos. I would surely recommend it to other buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars decent guide, 13 Nov. 2013
John D. Morgan "scouse55" (pontypool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) (Hardcover)
A book for the enthusiast who needs the guidance to keep his pond and water features healthy and good looking. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Mar. 2015
GOOD

Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic)
Your Healthy Garden Pond (Pond & Aquatic) by Steve Halls (Hardcover - 1 April 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01