5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale of Harry Bucknall's travels through Greece.
An adventurous and funny account of island hopping with a mixture of detailed history, geography, and all the richness one can easily miss when visiting another country.

Published 20 months ago by Mark Dempster

3.0 out of 5 stars A gentle note of caution
Having read the other, highly enthusiuastic, reviews for this book, I feel I should add a note of caution for those who have not yet read it.

I too read this on my Kindle whilst holidaying on a Greek island - Zakynthos, popularly referred to as "Zante". I'd hoped to have read some helpful information about this interesting island, along with Crete which we also...
Published on 2 Aug 2011 by Kenneth F. Mcara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale of Harry Bucknall's travels through Greece., 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)

Woven throughout is a wonderful portrayal of his travel's zeitgeist, the people, places, food, culture, architecture, and of course methods of travel; which stand out in delightful and poetically descriptive encounters.

If you are a fan of Bill Bryson's style of humorous and informative writing in 'Neither Here, Nor There: Travels in Europe' you will love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 5 April 2013
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
my wife loves her books on greece,which she then passes on to me,bought this as part of her Christmas present,she really enjoyed it and i must say after i read it i could see why.Its not the usual,bought house in greece had trouble with the builders type of book and excellant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle and uplifting book, 13 April 2014
BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - lots of historical background, and very well written. I savoured every chapter and was gutted when I got to the end and discovered there wasn't a sequel or a "next episode". It will be one I re-read. A joy to dwell on in the winter months!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic for lovers of Greece, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
A lovely book and perfect for dipping into to glean some information about such a wonderful country . I thoroughly enjoyed it and have given copies to everyone planning to visit Greece this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars What glorious escape!, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
What glorious escape! I absolutely romped through it, albeit conversely didn't want it to end, for I was so enjoying basking in the warmth of the Greek Islands, alongside Harry.
I wished myself there for so much of his journey... And anyone that is familiar with Greece will recognise parallels with characters and experiences, I'm sure!
There is a lot to enjoy as he provides a taster of all the island groups. It is rare to find a decent modern travelogue which includes a tour of all the islands (so many Greek travelogues document life on one island).
He writes with charming wit – plus Harry clearly researched extensively before his visits, thus many tales are interspersed with accessible historical facts and information. Though my only criticism is some islands get more love than others! (I suppose it's hard to edit everything!) But some islands were more tales of an evening exploit, and we didn't get much insight on the island itself. Though this is more towards the end of the journey, and thus 'holiday-season', so perhaps this is a factor.

This is written after the second time of reading this book; I think I enjoyed it more this time around too.

Surely a must-read for your next Greek holiday? (If it hasn't inspired you to book a six-month vacation of island-hopping yourself!!)

Looking forward to the next journey...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Joy, 21 Sep 2013
A wonderfully sardonic account of the author's peregrinations in the Greek Islands. It not only makes you smile at the sheer pleasure of life but makes you want to go and book a ticket to go there NOW and even perhaps share a glass of something nice with the author who I'm sure has more tales up his sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 5 Aug 2013
Having just returned from Greece, a place I have visited many times over 34 years, I found this book to be interesting and honest, even if I did not always agree with the author's views on some things. It is a good read and gives insight to the Greek way of life across the many hundreds of islands. Interesting to compare the way people lived there 50 years or more ago, and now.... not sure that life has really improved for the Greek islanders or visitors on some islands, but there are other places which are stunning, unspoilt and little changed to compromise the Greek origins despite it now being the 21st century.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
This is a `classical' travel book. The author's voyage took him through three dozen Greek islands and he recorded his impressions with a keen eye and a great sense of humour. I caught myself laughing out loud many times with the descriptions of the excentricities of his fellow travellers . The book is also well researched, with historical background giving an extra dimension to all his experiences, in this region so steeped in history. It was a pleasure to read, and I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont' go on holiday without it., 30 July 2011
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
Reading `Dolphin' whilst on holiday in Greece with the sun beating down, has to be the perfect backdrop. I devoured it in three days, which must be a record for me as the world's slowest reader, and thoroughly enjoyed every page from cover to cover.

I've laughed, been frightened (scary,those caves), fallen in love with several intriguing characters whom I'd love to meet and learnt an awful lot about Greece and all things Greek.

A lovely book, well written in a chatty, friendly style. I can't wait for the next adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greek Island travel with Cocktail in hand!, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: In the Dolphin's Wake (Paperback)
I decided that 30 degrees and sun in England was the perfect day to read a greek travel book - you need atmosphere and with the constant reference to cocktails there also needs to be a steady supply to hand - so garden jobs to the side my journey began!

To start with I felt all very busy with so much happening to Harry Potter but once into the pace the Greek history attached to each trip and island was just perfect - I know when I travel I long to know all about my historical surroundings after dredging up some site saving hill - My wife always says my pace visibly quickens as a white clothed restaurant approaches!

Dolphins is a must for all who have gone or about to go to Greece - I long for the details of how to reach many of the watering holes on the islands - my next task will be to join up the dots to physically trace your passage - somewhat like Pooh and piglet heading to hundred acre wood.

Well done you to write such a fun and interesting book - long to read the unexpurgated version!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

In the Dolphin's Wake
In the Dolphin's Wake by Harry Bucknall (Paperback - 16 Jun 2011)
5.59