5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book - can't wait for his account of the Americas
Published on 28 Dec 2006 by W. May

3.0 out of 5 stars a great adventure.
I'm pleased I've read Alastairs book but just wish he had put as much love and enthusiasm into writing about every country he past though as he did the African ones.
I would have like to feel I was riding with him rather than just the a brief glimpse of some of the countries. All I really know is I don't ever want to visit Africa.
Published 6 months ago by Barbara

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book - can't wait for his account of the Americas, 28 Dec 2006
W. May (PORTSMOUTH, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after hearing Alastair Humphreys give a talk on his adventures, when I was awestruck by his courage, fortitude and zest for life. The book gives a real insight into what ordinary people he met on his journey were like. We all have images of war torn nations and terrorism thrown at us on a daily basis - but this book serves to remind that there are a great many more kind and hospitable people in the world. I can only imagine what reception an unwashed youth on a bike might get if he knocked on the average door in the UK seeking food and shelter - but he found many people happy to welcome him, which I found inspiring. I am going to share this book with all my nephews and nieces - in the hope they they will realise that there are adventures to be had, if you're willing to get off the couch and seize the moment. Well written, and enthusiastically read. I hope he's busy writing the next instalment, because I'm eager to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it., 24 Oct 2006
Ms. Kate Hannay (UK) - See all my reviews
A mix of humour, sharp observation, philosophy and very English self deprecation. Humphreys' style is original, pithy and informative. I look forward to hearing much more from this unique voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story, a unique book, 12 Dec 2006
Stephen Lord (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Alastair was on the road for over 4 years on less than 4 quid a day. Just those facts are amazing enough but I find the whole story quite incredible and in this book he tells you how he did it - meaning how he coped with it mentally and grew from the experience. That's far more important knowledge than the nuts and bolts of travel in my opinion, and he has a rare honesty and the smarts to figure out how he could make it to the end, and the ability to write it down for our benefit afterwards.

This is gritty travel, not as tourism, but to gain insights into the world, into himself, into life itself. It's powerful stuff and I can't wait for the next part of the story to be published.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollercoaster ride - totally absorbing and potentially life changing, 20 Dec 2006
Andrew Deans - See all my reviews
I have only rated 5 stars because 10 stars is not an option. The indelible impression left after reading Alastair's amazing adventure predominantly across Africa is that it wasn't about the bike (Lance Armstrong) - although more than one Rita does evidence itself! This is raw adventure straight out of Indiana Jones and the escapades through Africa had me on the edge of my seat. No stranger to long distance bike rides myself, (cycling across Canada, Scandinavia and around New Zealand), the sheer audacity and tenacity in keeping going is breath taking. Lugging in excess of 100 pounds of bike and baggage across mountains in itself is bloody hard work, but factor in the heat and sand of the desert, the irregularity and unpredictability of food supplies and water and this is one heck of a feet. There are instances of very real and present danger that most people would buckle under and quit - not Alastair. The writing style is completely non-pretentious, easily accessible and engaging - Alastair comes across as one of the most authentic people I have read about. The complexity of the dynamics of the whole African situation in terms of poverty and the benefits of foreign aid is graphically illustrated and really got me thinking. This book ought to be standard text in the National Curriculum as a beacon of good character, great conduct and outstanding personal achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 25 April 2010
Susan Leonard (Ossett, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1 (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and Part 2. Both are a great read. You are with Alistair every pedal stroke of his journey. He is honest about his feelings and experiences, which makes both books very, very readable. You are there with Alistair for each and every one of his 46,000 miles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moods of Future Joys: Part 1, 15 Feb 2010
Martin J. Foord (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1
You don't always get what you want for Christmas, so I logged on to Amazon with the intention of buying Mark Beaumont's "The Man Who Cycled the World." With the book finally at my fingertip I was steered to the work of Alastair Humphreys by a fellow reviewer and bought this book instead. Do I regret this decision? I will not know until I catch up with Mark. Did I enjoy Moods of Future Joys? Yes. Humphrey's descriptions of the lands he passes through and the people he meets are what this book is all about and the book is entertaining and informative, but never boring (unlike parts of his journey). Towards the end of the book his sense of humour is more apparent as he becomes comfortable with his writing talent. I hope this is continued from the start of his second book "Sunshine and Thunder." As a cyclist I would have liked a bit more information about the actual cycling. How did he obtain Sponsorship from Specialized? What bike did he choose and why? How do tyres cope with thorny bushland? How did his bottom cope without padded shorts? Cyclists like to know these things. Like a bike ride, this book took me on a route I hadn't set out to follow, but just like a bike ride I am better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite read of 2008, 8 Dec 2008
F. Meek (New Haven, Indiana) - See all my reviews
An utterly fantastic and compelling read. I have nothing but admiration and respect for Alastair, to take on such a monumental challenge is impressive enough but to then document the ride in such detail is just amazing. This is a well-written book, as is the second book, and they both deserve places on every cyclists bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget travel at its best!, 16 Jan 2008
Alastair Humphreys spends four years cycling around the world... not just around, but London to South Africa via the middle east, the bottom tip of South America to Alaska, then, Russia, Japan, and through Central Asia and Europe before returning home.

The only detail missing in this book is "Why?" Although, I'm not sure even Alastair knows! The first book details the London to South Africa leg, with a large portion dedicated to various African nations. Alastair's writing, slightly patchy in early chapters, finds a rhythm by the second half of the book. There is plenty of detail on his see-sawing emotions, daily routines, strict budgeting, encounters with the locals and many humorous anecdotes. Alastair kept a diary throughout his journey and the level of detail is wonderful as a result.

The question of African poverty becomes more confusing as Alastair travels through Ethiopia and sees some of the negative aspects of aid and charity.

He saved 7000 pounds to undertake this journey and lived extremely cheaply. It is inspiring stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 5 May 2013
So well read and compelling that you immediately feel like getting on your bike and go around the world. If the world seems too big a place, well maybe go round your country or region, but do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest storytelling, 14 Jan 2012
If you're looking for an honest portrayal of a truly solo trip (no sponsors, no support, no record breaking, no aim save the experience and test of a solo expedition on two wheels), this and Alastair's second book are the places to look. Truly inspiring stuff portraying many of the daily mind games long distance solo travel brings. Highly recommended.

Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1
Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1 by Alastair Humphreys (Paperback - 26 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: 7.23