5.0 out of 5 stars The End of a Unique Way of Life
This book tells the story of the an elderly Aboriginal Australian couple, the very last of their tribe (and quite probably of all Aboriginals) to pursue the traditional nomadic hunter-gatherer way of life in the remote central deserts of Western Australia.

Published on 22 Jun 2006 by Laszlo Wagner

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not riveting
This book can be read in a day easily as it is only about 160 pages long and the print is of a decent size with well spaced paragraphs.

I found the topic interesting but not riveting, that said though I did read it in one sitting as I was interested enough to find out what happened in the end.

I love non fiction books that teach about social history...
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by K.E

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of a Unique Way of Life, 22 Jun 2006
Laszlo Wagner (Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last of the Nomads (Paperback)

It starts by explaining how traditional tribal culture came to a near end in the region within the lifespan of a generation as civilization penetrated the once remote Outback, then recalls the life history of this last couple, explaining why they persisted in their homeland even after the rest of their tribe moved to a town.

Eventually, an extreme draught raises fears for their lives and a search expedition is launched to find them, lead by the author of this book and assisted by an old Aboriginal friend of the couple. The search takes them through the extremely harsh and remote Gibson Desert retracing ancient trade routes and rediscovering sacred Aboriginal sites, before finally locating the old couple, "the last of the nomads", and bringing them out of the desert to avoid immidiate starvation by helping them join the rest of their tribe living a demoralized existance on the fringes of western civilization, beset by alcoholism and other social evils.

A brilliantly told, moving story of the disgraceful end of what was once "one of the oldest cultures on Earth", providing excellent background information to help the reader understand how complicated the the underlying roots of this sad outcome are.

Anyone with an interest in the Aboriginal inhabitants of Australia should read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and compelling, 9 Jun 2004
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
On a whim I wanted to learn something about Aboriginal Australian culture as it really is and was, it turned out to be a great book choice. I'd highly recommend this readable and compelling account of the search for the last two truely nomadic australians. Moving and informative, its hard not to feel for a people who have lost so much at the hands of white colonial culture and seemingly gained so little. Through the pages we learn how land and culture are/were inseperably tied in traditonal aboriginal life - the land and their relationship to it forms the all important aboriginal "law". On another level the book is also a love story against the odds, set against the backdrop of a beautiful but unforgiving environment. Real books like this, a window on to a fast disappearing world are surely worth there weight in gold! May all beings be well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last of the nomads, 2 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
I read this book whilst spending a year backpacking around Australia, where the Aboriginal people are treated as outcasts by the majority of people.
When over there I only saw a bad side of this race of people, untill I read this book and it really opened my eyes to the way theye are treated and how they have had to cope with a huge upheaval in their lives and culture. A really interesting book that looks at the journey to try and find the last two traditinally living aboriginal people, a really facinating tale of survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Australian reader from Surrey, England, 25 Mar 2008
Neil Edson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
Having recently finished this book, how do I find another book that grips the reader as well as "Last of the Nomads". The language used was realistic and not over flowery as used by some journalist/authers, the landscape and main characters were held firmly central.
It was not until I had finished the book that I began to appreciated the amount lines that had been given over to the detailed description of the journey into the desertland of Western Australia. Having travelled through Western Australia myself I can say that the auther has used the middle section of the book well to bring to the reader just how dry and isolated these two people must have been.
In conclusion, it was not only a wonderfully successful mission it must be one of the greatest love stories not yet made into a Hollywood film, or perhaps that could be seen as a good thing.
Sadly I had to wait until now to read it as I left Australia shortly before the book was published.
This book would surely get the "Non-Reader" reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitively written, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
The author WJ Peasley has written about the Aboriginal couple, on which the story is based, with wisdom and great sensitivity. It is very much worth reading. It left me thinking and questioning once again how we humans treat each other. It is in my opinion from the couple's point of view more than sad and extremely noble of them to have continued their life together in opposition to the Elders "moral rules" (obviously originally created for the preservation of individual "tribes/clans"). It is also heartening (and heart rendering)from the Elder's (that cared enough to wanted to bring them back to civilisation) point of view. What a mixture of hidden emotions he must have experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended read, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
An amazing story of unconditional love amongst a group of first Australians.
Mudjon goes searching for his old hunting companion Warri, who is living in the Gibson desert with Yutungka, his wife.
They have been out there for decades living in the old ways of their people, but the ageing couple may not survive the drought that has fallen on the land.
Fearful to return to their tribe due to breaking tribal law to pursue their love for one another, Warri and Yutungka remain in the desert unheard from, their fates unknown.
A touching tale which took me on a journey through historical events, beautiful landscapes, the personalities of the search party, the ways of the tribal members and aboriginal desert communities. The first Australians have much knowledge of the land and a rich spiritual life.
I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the lives of the Koori, Aboriginal, or as I like to call them, the first Australians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of the Nomads, 26 Sep 2010
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
Moving story of a fast vanishing way of life.
The Aboriginal's way of life and closeness to the earth, is something 'modern' man is trying to lose. We do so at our peril, for we belong to the earth, it does not belong to us.
This book takes us into the vastness of the Australian outback, to the people that have roamed it for thousands of years and to their 'dreamtime'.
Wonderful read, I did'nt want it to finish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not riveting, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)

I love non fiction books that teach about social history from the persepctive of those who have lived and breathed the topic. Sadly though with this book I didn't find that I became part of the world the writer was describing, maybe this was due to him also being a spectator of the aboriginal people's lives rather than being one of them.

In my opinion the book doesnt seduce the reader the way books written by the the person who has lived the life being decribed can do. It was more matter of fact in my opinion. Incidentally the writer comes across as a decent chap.

I would recommend this book if you fancy a quick and decent read that doesnt tax the brain but I wouldnt put it in my top 20 books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappearing world, 20 Nov 2010
G. Chin (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Nomads (Paperback)
I found myself seduced by the blurb that I would be buying into an insight into the Aboriginal mind and culture which this book most definitely isn't. It barely scratches the surface so if this is what you are looking for, avoid. This is a moving tale of a journey by a group of people venturing into the Australian desert, which is hazardous and dangerous, in search of a couple who are the last of their community living in the old way and to persuade them to come in from the desert .. the main character of the story is the Aborigine guide who leads the search party to find the couple and the harsh landscape itself. The maps are sketches rather than cartographical facsimiles in an attempt to protect the watering holes and their associated rock drawings and names have been changed .. so it is all a bit abstract when trying to relate to the locality of the odyssey. The glue that holds the reader to the pages is missing and I found myself skipping the chapters to get to the climax. This is a sad story best told on film where the drama and emotions set in the landscape of the Australian desert can create the right image of the couple being truly, The Last of The Nomads.

Last of the Nomads
Last of the Nomads by W. Peasley (Paperback - 15 Mar 2004)
9.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available