Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 December 2000
This is one of my top 5 books. I read this book when it was 'Flight of the Windhorse' and I made a point of buying it in its new format.
There are only a few books I've read that have pulled me along with them but this one did much more - it changed my outlook and my aspirations.
I would like to thank the author for a story I will never forget.
on 8 September 2004
Touching Tibet
Niema Ash
Eye-Books (2003)
Niema Ash's "Touching Tibet" was one of the most beguiling and thought provoking pieces of literature published last year. Her skills lie in the way she personalizes her experiences and allows the reader to relate to her story. Her journeying in Tibet will be particularly at home amongst fellow travellers where there will be plenty of parallel experiences. Something I can empathize with is being underdressed in a cold place, usually en route to a hot destination. Sludging through thick Scandinavian snow in open-toed sandals and thin trousers was no fun, but I had the last laugh when a sweaty Santa decanted into Bangkok's 80% humidity! I have also demonstrated disco dancing to the Chinese.
Also like Niema, I have wept in Lhasa. I entered on one of the few organised tours allowed into Tibet after the Chinese clamped down on border crossings and made Niema's style of independent travel in Tibet a thing of the past. When she went, there had only been a handful of tourists before her. When I went, there was even a Lonely Planet Guide. Much of what I found was a result of the bastardization of the Tibetan people, their home and their culture. There was little of Tibet left. This is far removed from what Niema witnessed as the clinging vestiges of an oppressed country. I recognised that Tibet had lost against overwhelming might. And this is why I wept.
Niema's writing comes in three quite different styles; narrator, storyteller and political activist. As narrator, Niema's recollections resound wih the day-to-day trivia and props familiar to the global traveller; guidebooks, guest-houses and market-place bartering. But, beyond the mundane, her fascination with Tibetan Buddhism breeds an undercurrent of the supernatural; part hippy new-age, part ancient sorcery. These are islands in the flowing descriptive narrative which is also punctuated by stilted and contrived dialogue. For their comparitive secularism, more storytelling and politics would have been welcome. However, she does admit that "Touching Tibet" is not a "sociological, political or historical study of Tibet". There are plenty other sources for that, and Niema is not that type.
No, Niema is like the Tibetans - an aesthetic people. A people who recognise and cherish beauty. Her description of the Potala is exactly right, "The Palace and hill have become one in a fusion of nature, God and man". But this delivery does take skill to maintain clarity, and elsewhere Niema does drift infrequently into states of fuzziness. For example, a few pages later, and on the same subject, "preserving a formidable distance between God and men", contradicts her previous description.
Niema's descriptions of the open devotion at the Jokhang is unrecognisable to me. Only a short time after Niema's Tibet, the country was even further incarcerated by Chinese rule, making it quite impossible to express one's faith there. Sadder still is that Tibet will never again be recognisable to Niema, but at least we have this gift of her everlasting impression through her story.
J.F.Derry
02/04/2004
on 10 September 2012
Arising from a belated Chinese decision to allow a few foreigners into Tibet, following its brutal invasion in 1950, "Touching Tibet" gives the armchair traveller a fascinating glimpse of a vanishing culture that remains a symbol of defiance and global peace.
Niema Ash's writing echoes the cries of despair from the rest of the world as she casts a keen eye on the rich legacy of Tibetan ritual, while pulling no punches with her descriptions of the obscene destruction perpetrated on a benign people and their religion.Touching Tibet
on 18 August 2009
I truly enjoyed reading this book.

I don't like to get involved in political issues as I am training to become a Religious Education teacher and I don't want to be seen as influencing my students, but I can't help but feel very strongly for the plight of the Tibetans as I myself am Buddhist, but unlike the Tibetans, I am free to practice my beliefs freely and no one tortures or beats me.

I have a life long ambition to travel to Tibet as I follow Tibetan Buddhism and am a fan of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama who has made it his lifes work to make the world aware of the plight of his fellow Tibetans.

Having read this book I feel even stronger about travelling to Tibet and visiting the home of my faith. I have gained a mental image of this beautiful and sometimes desolate country from reading this book, an image that will stay with me forever and I can hopefully one day see with my own eyes.
This is a remarkable and fascinating story of Neima Ash's journey into the mysterious heartland of Tibet.Her story is not just a travelogue, although she is able to conjure up vivid impressions of an isolated and sometimes inhospitable landscape, but also a very personal spiritual journey with life enhancing consequences. In the ten or more years since the book was written the Chinese have of course increased their influence on a Country whose sovereignty they have cruelly attempted to stamp out and this work is all the more important therefore as an account of a people and a country that may not survive into the next century. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would not hesitate to recomend it to anyone interested in travel or Tibet or both.
on 21 October 2000
The author well describes her experience of Tibet, of it's people, the culture and buddism as it's religion, she well documents her own personal conflict as she (as a westerner) begins to understand it. She provides a wonderful insight into Tibet to the outside world.