4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent step by stephistory and guide for non-builders.
Published on 21 Feb 2002 by rodenhurst@onetel.net.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment
Having read reviews, searched the web for blogs, fora and sites about building a wood fired oven, I thought this book would be the keystone to hold everything together. The reviews on this book were good so I ordered it.

Published on 28 Mar 2008 by Pusscat

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 28 Mar 2008

I found the writing style incredibly disjointed and difficult to understand. There are `plans' but again these are quite confusing. The lack of diagrams, illustrations or photographs of the finished oven make you feel pages have been missed out. It's not even a case of the book being too technical...far from it...I just find it very badly written and presented.

I gave the book to two friends who also want to make an oven but didn't tell them of my concerns...they were both very polite but asked if I knew of any other books on the subject as they both found it very heavy going... like wading through treacle.

I'm afraid a total disappointment to me. I write scientific reports and to be honest, this book will be an annoyance rather than any help. I've since learnt of another (more expensive) book that apparently is much better.

There are some very good websites out there with step by step (almost brick by brick...) guidance, info on construction ratios and with plenty of 'in-progress photos'. Save your money on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars More about the history rather than how to build, 4 May 2008
A. B. Morris "Mor Sound" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read several books about the art of building wood fired ovens, I bought this one having read several reviews that gave it a real positive view. However, I was quickly disappointed by a book that is full of history and detail about ovens used in large houses of bygone ages and the detail behind the history through the ages. There is very little real detail that anyone looking to build an oven could really utilise.

It makes for interesting background reading but the detail for building is extracted from the view of how some of the old commercial/large houses built their ovens and hence is of limited scope. The detail about the build is not there if you want to construct something yourself.

Great for the background detail but not for someone wanting to build an oven for small domestic or occasional use.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent step by stephistory and guide for non-builders., 21 Feb 2002
rodenhurst@onetel.net.uk (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
For those who have the dough between their fingures, and an ambition to create something special rather than a loaf in a tin from the fan oven, this must be the simplest "how to" book available. Easy to read, with very clear diagrams, equipment lists, and materials, I cannot wait for the spring to come, and the weather to clear so that I can get going and build! The book is precise but encouraging rather than school-teacherish, and is the right size to fit in the pocket of your over-alls as you pour concrete, and lay bricks.
The building instructions are however enlivened by Tom's knowledge of history, and his use of references to and illustrations of various baking styles and methods over the last 1000 year. This helps to put his design into its proper context, and with a suggested recipe, alongside the firing proposal its a complete guide to an ancient art!
I have yet to decide whether to go classical, rustic, gothic or Turkish in the final finishing florish - spires and chimneys have a certain attraction ! But Tom provides drawings for most eventualities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but slightly narrow focus on one design, 14 Aug 2006
I really liked this book.

It has a lot of material which isn't available elsewhere. I found, however, that it was very good in terms of how to build a particular design of oven, but didn't give much detail on other designs. That's fair enough I guess, because the book does 'what it says on the box' but users will probably want to buy another book or two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange book, 26 Jun 2009
ReviewMan "Large" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to say that I agree with the reviewer who says 'a disapointment'. The author's writing style appears to harken back to bygone days; in addition, yes, it does appear disjointed. Many might praise the book but I wonder how many people will actually build an oven based solely on the knowledge which they have garnered from this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Complex!, 11 Aug 2010
This book is somewhat complicated. To build any of the projects would be quite difficult for many.

5.0 out of 5 stars the person i bought this for enjoys it, 19 Jan 2014
the person i bought this for was my brother he really enjoyed it and is now using it to buld a pizza oven for himself

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what we wanted., 10 Jan 2014
C. Gadsby (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building a Wood-fired Oven for Bread and Pizza (English Kitchen) (Paperback)
I bought this as a present for a relative who wants to build a pizza oven in his garden. This turned out to be both a duplicate present and also not quite what was needed in content. Not enough information about building small ovens. I returned the book for a refund .

Building a Wood-fired Oven for Bread and Pizza (English Kitchen)