5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent work by Peter Brears, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jellies and Their Moulds (The English Kitchen) (Paperback)
For anyone with an interest in old jelly recipes and there moulds this is a wonderful piece of work that includes lots of historical information that is very well presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those very rare food-related books that inspire!, 14 April 2011
Julian Kerrell-Vaughan (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jellies and Their Moulds (The English Kitchen) (Paperback)
Peter Brears here gives us a book that, quite frankly, is a great rarity and an even greater delight. Wonderfully inspiring, I immediately put together a dinner party just so that I could hear the oooohs and aaaahs as the wobbling, glistening, cathedral-like pudding course arrived.

I won't be stopping at puddings, however. I had forgotten that years ago in London I used to do Rabbit with Thyme & Bay in Aspic (a sort of sophisticated version of the Flemish Potjevleesch) and tomato and basil jelly for salmon trout. It's time to start again.

This is a really exciting book - historical, practical and inspirational. It is also erudite. Enough to bring forth a wobbler in anyone remotely interested in good food!

4.0 out of 5 stars An odd little work, 26 May 2014
Margaret Foster (England) - See all my reviews
if you want to know about jelly here is your book. As the description says it is about Jellies and their moulds. I skipped a lot of the mould stuff, it is serious mould stuff. Dry and a bit dusty. I would not say it was armature collector stuff either, it is much too worthy for that. However, once you get beyond the dust and into the kitchen, well, it is quite interesting, if, of course, you like jelly. The book is divided into historical time periods, with recipes that you can try. Some you would want to and a few you might not. There is a section about the types of setting agent, the jelly substance its self. Again some you might try and some you would not. For those recipes that are really ancient and pleasant sounding there is a translation so you can give them a go. As far as I can tell the book is about British Jelly and British history. There are savoury jellies as well as sweet which is fun because I for one, thought of jelly as sweet. There are some interesting fish in jelly and set meat jellies that I might get round to. I have tried a blancmange one. it was ok. This guy knows his jelly and I am sure he knows his moulds but I couldn't cope with finding out. In all seriousness it is a good book. By the end of it you will be as mad passionate about jelly as the writer or you will have buried yourself under a mound of juddering gelatine!

5.0 out of 5 stars The one to buy, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Jellies and Their Moulds (The English Kitchen) (Paperback)
Wanted a book that told me all the ins ann outs of jelly and jelly making. This book did that - and more. Very interesting book, and a lovely format. (Tried the Bompas and Parr 'Jelly', but not impressed). Well done Prospect Books

Jellies and Their Moulds (The English Kitchen)
Jellies and Their Moulds (The English Kitchen) by Peter Brears (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
8.40