5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by Wil Andersen

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed.
As a huge rhubarb fan I was really looking forward to discovering new ways of using it, however, the savoury dishes in the book just don't transcribe into tasty meals. As alluring as the idea of 'Rhubarbia' is I'm afraid I'll be relegating my experiments to the sweet dishes again.
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by kiki

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Jan 2010
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rhubarbaria: Recipes for Rhubarb (English Kitchen) (Paperback)
I share the previous reviewer's views. This is a much needed book for those of us who like rhubarb and are confronted with a massive crop from the allotment (and buy it imported I am slightly embarrassed to say for the rest of the year). Nine chapters ( 144 pages) with headings such as Rhubarb and Meat, Rhubarb Soups, Puddings, Jams and Chutneys give a sense of the structure. Also a very interesting first section on the history of rhubarb in Britain. All presented in a very personal and appealing way.

No illustrations but a nice piece of book production from Prospect Press - stiff card covers with flaps and the text appealingly presented. Typeset by Tom Jaine I see. In The English Kitchen series - which I was previously unaware of and will now research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book celebrates the delights of rhubarb, 20 Aug 2009
K. Fraser (Shetland) - See all my reviews
A book on rhubarb was much-needed and this fills the gap beautifully. It explores the history of this delicious and under-appreciated vegetable (the author is a historian) but it also presents some great recipes, clearly described and wildly varied. It is small, beautifully packaged, and the green and pink colouring is lovely - it's therefore an excellent book for a present too. Although part of the 'English Kitchen' series, it is heavily influenced by the author's summer home in the Shetland Isles. Rhubarb is particulary appreciated here, as it is an indestructible plant which stands up to the wild weather. I very much recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhubarbaria, 24 Feb 2013
I love this book. There's a fascinating variety of recipes but even better lots, and lots, of information. History, stories, and provenance for the recipes which are as interesting as the recipes themselves all add up to something really special as well as useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rhubarb Bible!, 29 April 2012
Mrs. H. V. Minor "Halimeda Hilary" (Guildford, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This little book contains all that you ever wished to know about rhubarb - and then some! For most of us, rhubarb is confined to rhubarb crumble, rhubarb fool and stewed rhubarb with custard and I'm willing to bet that the majority of us don't ever eat rhubarb in savoury dishes. This book will open your eyes to rhubarb with meat, fish (particularly good with strongly flavoured, oily fish as the tartness of the rhubarb will cut through the oiliness of the fish), on its own as a vegetable (Spinach with Rhubarb and Dill, anyone?) and then the rest - cakes, ices, jams, chutneys and drinks. I'm going to try out "Chicken and Rhubarb" (pg 45) in which chicken is enlivened (and doesn't chicken sometimes need enlivening?) with rhubarb, fresh grated ginger, lemon or lime and onions - yum! And, if you happen to live in The Faeroes or in Iceland, you can enjoy "Roast Puffin and Rhubarb Jam" - I shall never look at puffins in the same way again . . . Do buy this book, all you foodies out there. It's an essential part of your foodie education :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed., 16 Jun 2010
kiki (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews

Rhubarbaria: Recipes for Rhubarb (English Kitchen)
Rhubarbaria: Recipes for Rhubarb (English Kitchen) by Mary Prior (Paperback - 1 Dec 2008)
8.55