5.0 out of 5 stars This book grips you!!!, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
This book is about a dyslexic boy, named Oliver Pilkington, who has problems at school; because his teacher doesn't know he is dyslexic. Also, he has no friends, always gets bullied by others gets and called names. But he finds a way to overcome that by getting two very good friends. He wants a dog, but his mum and dad say no, so he finds a way to convince his mum and dad to let him have one. He called his dog Flow. He has amazing adventures with Flow... in fact one of those adventures rapidly changed his life!!!

The most exciting part of the book was when Flow and Oliver go on one of their adventures, and he meets another dog. But the dog was blood thirsty, and Flow had a very vicious battle with it. Because it will ruin the book for you if I tell you how the fight ended, I won't! But I'll tell you one thing... the outcome may make you shed a tear.

This book makes me feel sorry for Oliver because he is dyslexic and people make fun of him because of it. He shows everyone that being dyslexic doesn't stop you from doing anything and he also makes two new friends plus, he finds out that he isn't the only one that is dyslexic. The best thing about this book is that it is filled with all different emotions at all different times, there is never a dull moment is this excellent book. It has humour, action, sadness and the best of all... HAPPINESS!!!

This book is not just well written, it is excellently written. If I had the chance, I would read another one of Pippa Goodhart's books without thinking twice. I would definitely recommend this book to others so they could also share the amazing adventures with Oliver and Flow. Actually I have already recommended this book to a few of my friends. Also it is good for children to know that dyslexia doesn't hold you back from doing anything and that it doesn't make you dumb!!!

So remember, if Oliver can do it... so can you!!!

By Josha (aged 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best read!!!, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
Flow is a book about a boy called Oliver, who has dyslexia and has problems at school that his teachers don't recognise. Oliver gets a dog called Flow with similar problems. Oliver and Flow get through a gripping adventure that makes Oliver realise he is actually quite clever.

My favourite part of the book is chapter 10, where they are at the top of a mountain and endure devastating problems (but I can't tell you anymore because it would spoil it)! It makes you feel excited and sad, plus many more emotions. I have learnt from this book not to assume that people with dyslexia aren't as capable as people without it.

I think the book is very well written, it captured my attention and kept me entertained throughout. I would definitely read another of her books, as this was brilliant. I would recommend this book to children similar to my age as I feel they would enjoy, and experience what I have from this book.

If you are looking for a book that is about real friendship and loyalty, this is definitely the book for you. It's certainly won't disappoint.

By Aaron (age 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting story that warms your soul, 17 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
Flow is a book about a dyslexic boy called Oliver. Oliver is desperate for a friend and a dog, but his parents won't let him have a dog. Oliver doesn't listen and goes to Tommy Thompson's Farm and gets one. He doesn't have to pay anything because Tommy said it was backwards and the dog would be put down. Oliver has problems at school because his teacher Mrs Cox doesn't know Oliver is dyslexic, and everyone picks on him. On the way home from Tommy's Farm he stops by a river and names his dog Flow. When a boy called Craig [Oliver's only friend] and a dog called Rex [Flow's brother] went looking for a rabid, wild dog, they find it chasing sheep. The dog then goes for Craig and chases him. As he runs away Craig falls down the hill...

I thought that the book was very well written and if there's any more books like this one then I will certainly read them. I think the book was exciting and very good. My favourite part is chapter 9 which was very exciting.The only let down was the last chapter because it was so short. I think it is sad that Oliver was bullied by so many people. It's got some moments that warm your soul.

By Raymond

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner!!!, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
This book is about a boy called Oliver who has dyslexia, he has problems at school because everyone is bullying him and he has no friends, he gets himself a dog and tries to keep the dog a secret.....
But his conscience says "tell his parents about his dog" and he does. He has terrific adventures and he triumphs over adversity.

My favourite part of the book is in chapters nine-eleven. He fights through terrifying weather and awesome injuries, but I'm not going to tell you to much because I'll ruin the book for you!

This book makes me feel sorry for Oliver because he has dyslexia and it makes me feel happy when Flow got trained up and nearly won the first ever dog competition.

I think that the book was well written and I would really recommend this book to other children because its important for children to know what dyslexia is and what it does to you, dyslexia doesn't hold you back from anything though.

By Amrit (age 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, awesome book!!!, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
This book is a good book. It's about a boy called Oliver Pilkington who has dyslexia and doesn't do too well at school. Oliver gets bullied a lot and gets called names.

When Oliver had a tough day at school he ran away and got lonely. Oliver went to Tommy Thompson's farm and, got a dog which he called Flow. (But I'm not going to tell you too much about it otherwise I'll spoil it for you.)

This book makes me feel happy, sad, scared and uplifted. I would read some more of Pippa Goodharts books because they're funny and make me laugh. They have lots of emotions in them; adventure, action, sadness and best of all happiness. So I will certainly find another one of Pippa Goodharts books to read to keep me happy. I think that I would recommend this book good to other children around about my age. And remember it doesn't matter who you are, you can do anything if you try.

(By Caitlin aged 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for 7-year-old boy - and mum! Subtle account of dyslexia too., 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
We both really loved this inspiring story, which hasn't dated at all - can see why it was prize-winning. Bit scary in places for a 7-year-old to read alone, but well worth sticking with it till the very happy ending.
Fantastic story also for explaining about dyslexia to children, whether or not they are dyslexic, very sensitively and subtly done.

NB Really struggled to find it on Amazon as the ancient copy he had at school was simply called 'Flow' but very glad we tracked it down in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
Flow is a book about a boy called Oliver. He has dyslexia which causes him to have problems at school because his teacher, Mrs Cox doesn't realize he has it. Oliver gets bullied quite a lot too.

My favourite part of the book is the dog fight in chapter 10 but, I'm not going to tell you about it in case I spoil it for you.

This book is exciting, funny and gripping. The book is well written and I would definitely recommend it to children, because it is very funny. I'd definitely read another book written by Pippa Goodhart as this book really captured my attention.

By Jenny (age 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rescued by a Dog Called Flow (Paperback)
I have been a junior school teacher for 17 years and have read this (under the title of 'Flow') to just about all of them. Every class has absolutely loved it without exception.

Great story easy to understand and easy to read
super

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Mrs. L. M. Royle (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
exactly as described

Rescued by a Dog Called Flow
Rescued by a Dog Called Flow by Pippa Goodhart (Paperback - 1 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £4.00