5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro for really serious students...
Published on 4 Nov 2010 by Philip

2.0 out of 5 stars possilby not for a beginner
This book dives straight into verbs - present, imperfect, future and perfect. It does provide a structure which is missing from some of the comic book style introductions, but perhaps an early introduction to 1st declension nouns, for example, could have offered a more balanced approach.
Published on 16 Nov 2012 by sophie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro for really serious students..., 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: So You Really Want to Learn Latin Book I: A Textbook for Common Entrance and GCSE (Hardcover)
Let me begin like this; this is not a book for the sqeamish or the faint-hearted. Mr Oulton takes you firmly by the hand and guides you through REAL GRAMMAR. Conjugations and declensions, well chosen vocabulary, and lots of exercises... But he does it with a supreme intelligence and a passion for his students. I learnt Latin as a 9-12 year old in the '60s, then abandoned it at secondary school for Russian (Cold War - so more relevant etc. etc.). I did well at Latin, but I wish we'd had this book then.

His methodology is 'old fashioned' in that he isn't afraid to teach grammar as - grammar... He's not afraid to make you work hard but he does so with compassion, and by God it works! But the way he introduces it, the hard graft, guides you through it is unique. I'd almost say inspired. If you can handle, indeed can love grammar and can appreciate how Latin works with it, indeed cannot be learned properly without it, this is the book for you. I would almost say, if you can't manage grammar in the way he teaches it, don't bother with Latin.

And I at least find his humour absolutely ace! Its the icing on the cake! Its just the right kind of 'sympathetically bracing' humour you need to lighten up Latin without spoiling it. He actually reminds me a bit of Anthony Andrews in the Rosemary and Thyme episode 'the Invisible Worm'...

We could do with more teachers like Nicholas Oulton...

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best, 17 Nov 2007
JuliaBalbilla (Winchcombe, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
I am home-educating my daughter and having tried several beginner's Latin books, I have found that she is actually learning from this one. It is traditionally based with emphasis on grammar and has plenty of exercises. I wish I had had this book when I did Latin.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you really want to learn Latin 1, 1 Mar 2012
I have been using this book with a group of seniors (U3A class)who have a little Latin in their background but feel like beginners. After just four weeks we are all appreciating the no-nonsense and logical approach, the clear and practical explanations combined with humour, and the sense of making rapid progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you really want to learn Latin, 8 Feb 2003
I signed up for the open university`s "Reading classical latin" course and asked them to recommend a book I could use to prepare for the course. They mentioned these books. I worked through book 1 and when the course began I continued with book 2. What an excellent language course. The best guide to any language I have ever seen, crystal clear and well presented. I now find I cant do without them and will buy book 3 when the couse is over. Mick Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant no-nonsense approach, 7 Jan 2011
Chris Mitchell (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought all three of the "So You Really Want to Learn Latin" books, and I found them easy to follow, and very well laid out. I've already finished book one, and am about a quarter of the way through book two - I was amazed at how many inscriptions I could understand when I went to Rome on a brief holiday between Christmas and New Year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Marks to Nicholas Oulton, 7 Mar 2008
Full marks to Nicholas Oulton. In my search for a good Latin course, I have constantly been reminded of the traumatic experience of studying chemistry in the 1950s. I was thrown in the middle and had to work my way outwards - without much success. Then along came Dr Dapper who explained it all from the atom upwards, and it all fell into place. Nicholas Oulton is my Dr Dapper. With his SO YOU REALLY WANT TO LEARN LATIN course, Nicholas Oulton has catered for those people who enjoy (indeed, who can't do without) the structure and pattern of language being made clear to them from the outset. The explanations are beautifully crafted and no previous knowledge is assumed. Like john Taylor's GREEK TO GCSE, this is a return to sanity in the midst of the modern trend towards gimmicks in language teaching.

Wordsearches and other facile folderol don't give an insight into structure and you will find none of them in this course. Those looking for an easy time,however, beware! - this ain't for you. But if you are prepared to put in the work, you will not find a better course.

Oulton's SO YOU REALLY ..., like the famed fence treatment, does exactly what it says on the outside. Slap on a good dollop and preserve your sanity.
And Oh, joy of joys! IT COMES WITH AN ANSWER BOOK. I love this man.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to understand course, 19 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I'm working through the course and really enjoying it. It's easy to understand with plenty of exercises so that I can practice what I have learned. I have only one niggle - there are no answers to the exercises, making the book rather difficult to use for self-study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Latin Textbook Book 1, 12 Aug 2011
This is an excellent resource which contains the Latin language, some stories and, at the bottom of every page, interesting facts about its etymology.

It is easy to follow and learn from and is part of the school curriculum where Latin is taught.

Reviewer: Luke, 12 years

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic., 30 Mar 2009
D. Hurren "Hester Cat" (England) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely wonderful. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Being a student, it has taken me from an absolute beginner to being able to read and translate latin sentences. Everything it teaches you, is followed up by exercises on the opposite page to help to drill the information into your mind. These exercises range from translating latin to english, english to latin, learning new words and identifying english words which derive from Latin. Plus every chapter ends with a story about the history of the Roman empire. Allowing you to not only learn the language but to learn about Romulus and Remus too.

So come on buy the book and start learning you first conjugation with amo, aedifico and canto!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Latin, 18 Mar 2009
R. Lennox (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
This book is outstanding for its clarity. I am using it to teach my nine-year old daughter Latin. Someone said it's not easy, but if you take it at a suitable pace (and make sure you understand the current section *before* going to the next) there's nothing too difficult about it. You must also get the answer book. Thoroughly recommended! Every school (whether they teach Latin or not) should just buy some copies and dish them out free.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›