5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn about London
Published on 1 May 2011 by Dr Anthony B Murphy

2.0 out of 5 stars London's Hidden Walks
Handy pocket sized book, gives a few insights into the parts of London you might not pick out from the AtoZ.
Some of the maps are a little small and hard to follow.
Published on 30 Jun. 2011 by David Hodgson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn about London, 1 May 2011
Dr Anthony B Murphy (Lindfield, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London's Hidden Walks (Paperback)
I spend a weekend in London every year, and have seen all the main attractions and some of the less-visited ones. I looked at this book and a few similar ones on my most recent visit, and this looked the most interesting. It turned out to be a good choice. My wife and I did two of the 13 walks (Notting Hill and Spitalfields & Whitechapel); we'd been to both areas previously, but having the book with us made them far more interesting. The book gives a great picture of the history of the areas, and focuses not just on existing buildings, but also the people who frequented the area. It points out things 99% of visitors would otherwise overlook (e.g., a small Jewish coat of arms in Whitechapel, the premises of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry - the oldest surviving manufacturing company in the UK, the locations of some of Jack the Ripper's crimes, the scene of Jimi Hendrix's death ...). There are many small colour photographs to make sure that the reader doesn't miss anything. There is much more detail than in a standard guide book, but it is entertainingly written, and covers everything from architecture, immigration and cultural influences to movies and criminals. The only problem I experienced was that the maps weren't always entirely accurate (e.g. slightly misplaced locations of a couple of attractions), but with a little bit of looking around there was no problem finding everything. As the previous reviewer noted, the book is an entertaining read even if you are not doing the walks, and with its help I'm already planning our next visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative guide through London, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: London's Hidden Walks: Volume 2 (Explore London) (Paperback)
The second book of this series is equally good as the first one. The walks are interesting, varied and well-explained. Ideal for a weekend walk. It's also easy to create your own walk out of several walks from this book and the first one by using the maps at the beginning of each walk. So if you're not interested in everything of one particular work, you can combine a few stops out of 2 or 3 walks.

The only slightly negative point I can say is that the maps are highly simplified (probably unavoidable to fit the page), so that quite some streets are simply missing. In the beginning, I thouht I missed the right street, but found out that it was actually still a couple of blocks ahead after checking my phone. According to the map, it would have been the next street, which it definitely wasn't.

Apart from that, I had the impression that the book was in places poorly proofread with several typos and errors (e. g. Oxford Street Station instead of Oxford Circus station), but that might be knitpicking (I am a professional proofreader).

4.0 out of 5 stars Just got this, 24 April 2013
Just got this... We got booked one and LOVED it! I've only given this four stars for now as we've not done the walks. I'll come back later once we've done them and fully expect to upgrade it. They're such good and interesting walks. We were desperate to find out what walks there were in book two whilst we were still on book one so thought I'd put a breakdown on here:

- Covent Garden and St Giles
- Lambeth & Vauxhall
- Bermondsey and Rotherhithe

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last...volume 2 has been released!, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: London's Hidden Walks (Paperback)
When I found out that Stephen Millar's LONDON's HIDDEN WALKS - volume 1 - which I was the first to review on Amazon - was going to be followed by a second volume I simply could not believe my luck. However, with the amount of times I was informed of the release date being postponed I came to the point where I'd given up all hope of learning about the selection of walks the author had mentioned in the introduction to his first volume.
Stephen Millar's LONDON's HIDDEN WALKS - volume 2 is another gem! If you've read and enjoyed the first volume, you will love this one just as much. If you haven't, who cares? You'll read it, enjoy it (that I can promise) and then decide to find out about the first volume. Brilliant!!! And I believe another volume is in the air -judging by the introduction to the second volume.
Stephen Millar, you are (really) spoiling us! RESPECT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Jan. 2013
The previous reviews for this must have been for Volume 1 of this series - as this book (Vol.2) has only just been properly released.

Just as exceptional as Volume 1 - great historical insight and excellent images. Some real hidden gems that I never knew existed in the city! Fully recommended. According to the author, there is also a Volume 3 due to come out in the future as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Miller Hidden London Walks, 25 Aug. 2013
Stephen Millar's Hidden London Walks Books are the best London Walks' books ever ! Volume 1 is just as good, would recommend them to anyone. Useful for groups or individuals, complete with maps, street names and lots of interesting info

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant, 16 Dec. 2014
Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant . As book 1 this is great to do the walks . Its great as a history book. Its great. Very entertaining. I just recieved it and read half of one walk and already I've got my moneys worth. Buy it if you like interesting walks. Buy it if you like reading. Buy it if you like history. Buy it if you live in London buy it if you visit. All the walks are compact and you can even combine some of the streets of another walk into the one your doing.

Bought this because id bought book one and used it and loved it. Loved this one as much

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 4 Jan. 2015
I was given books 1,2 & 3 for my birthday and we have only done the Covent Garden walk in book number 2. There's an awful lot of information to read and I think some of the walks at 4/5 miles might be a little too long. Ours was supposed to be 2 miles and whilst I enjoyed doing it very much, it was extremely cold and it was quite long enough. You can go online and print off a larger copy of the map which is helpful. Looking forward to doing some more when the weather's warmer!

5.0 out of 5 stars suggested to me by a friend, 20 Aug. 2013
Can't wait to try these out. I love visiting London and always try and seek out new places to visit,

5.0 out of 5 stars Volumes 1 & 2, 3 Aug. 2013
A friend had a copy a few weeks ago on a walk we did and it was brilliant. Good detail, easy to follow and small enough to hold in your hand without getting drenched if it rains. Had to have my own copy so thought I'd get Vols. 1 &2.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

London's Hidden Walks: Volume 2 (Explore London)
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 2 (Explore London) by Stephen Millar (Paperback - 15 Oct. 2012)