Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 2015
I can concur with other reviewers these books are absolutely fantastic! All 3 books are small enough for your pocket or handbag, yet jam-packed with information. Book 1 has 13 walks - books 2 & 3 12 walks. Each walk starts with a map that is really easy to use - the map has places of interest marked on them - so that you can't miss stuff - for sure, you will see things you wouldn't have done without these books. After the map each walk has an outstanding narrative on the places of interest so you can get the most out of your walk. As well as all the historical stuff there are suggestions of places to eat and drink. Some of the pubs in these guides are truly amazing! The photos in these books are beautiful too! Thank You Stephen Millar. Can't wait for volume 4 :)
Walks in Volume 1
11. Docklands Part 1
12. Docklands Part 2
13. Spitalfields & Whitechapel
on 20 February 2012
I have done three of the walks so far. Two with my husband and another with my adult daughter. We all thoroughly enjoyed them.

Having lived in London all our lives we were still surprised at many of the places we visited. We just didn't know they were there. The walks make for a great day out.

Take your own map for a more detailed route though.
on 5 March 2012
Utterly fantastic book - When in the middle of these walks it is like you are in a parallel universe. You half expect to see Dickens, Marx or Orwell taking the air or Ronnie or Reggie settling some business. Mindblowing experience- I learned more from this book than I did from a four year undergraduate degree.
on 18 January 2012
I should first say I already know London fairly well, having lived and worked there for the first 30 years of my life, before moving elsewhere (and I do love walking round London).

Note also I have no other London walks books to compare this book with, so I am just reviewing it in isolation.

I must also admit that while I have read through the book from the comfort of my home, I have yet to do any of the walks.

However just reading through the book, reading the various anecdotes about the different buildings and areas and people, and looking at the small pictures, has made me very keen to do all these walks.

My only problem is which one to do first, as they all look so interesting.

I must admit when the book first arrived I was a little disappointed at how small it was, probably smaller than the average postard, though it is quite thick.

But as soon as I started to read the book I was hooked and knew I would be doing a number of these walks as soon as I could.

So I can highly recommend it.

Only two very minor criticisms:

1) At the begining of each walk it would be useful to have a short overview of the area in which you are walking. Not everyone knows the different areas of London and a short overview of the type of area, and a brief history, would be useful (though it does often unfold during the walk).

2) As the book is small the writing is quite small and at my age (60+) reading the book can be a little hard work (though I do admit I need new glasses).

However don't let these small criticisms put you off buying the book as I can highly recommend it.
on 2 January 2013
I gave this to my boyfriend for Christmas and we've already done two walks and got another planned for this weekend. We love walking around London but had got into a bit of a rut. This book has taken us to places that we would not have thought to walk and given us interesting little tit bits about it on the way. Sometimes you find yourself walking quite a long way to see just one thing that's a bit random but on the whole the quality of the walks, the information and the research that's gone into it are excellent.
on 7 January 2013
Only the first one to review this London walking guide?
It took me a while to decide on a type of book that would allow me to discover London on foot, without having to suffer the obvious tourist attractions but, boy, aren't I glad I've come across this one!!! I read the whole book in one go as if it were a novel - simply couldn't/ wouldn't put it down! All of the 13 (circular) walks are illustrated with maps and photographs, and feature a relevant mix of "history, myth, gossip, fact and geography" that will allow you to "stop, look up at buildings and search for clues" ( Stephen Millar) - its pocket-sized format will let you do that.
I have tried a couple of the walks so far (I live far from the city), dragging the family with me, away from the familiar places, surprising them with the bits of info we'd learn along the way.
Stephen Millar's LONDON's HIDDEN WALKS - volume 1- is truly a gem. I can't wait for volume 2 to be released.
on 27 January 2012
A good collection of 13 walks - many in the central area, but also including a trip to Hampstead and the Docklands one will take you out to the Isle of Dogs. There's plenty to look out for, and a good selction of photos to give a flavour of what is to be seen. By keeping many of the photos small the whole book is genuinely pocketable which is very useful if you like to walk with a book.

You will see some of the well-known sights, but mostly this book will take you along interesting back streets in search of the more unusual and unnoticed parts of London that give it its character. These range from fascinating buildings and structures to tiny details (like where to find signs still directing people to WWII air raid shelters).

All in all an excellent book and any minor errors are soon forgiven - the author is right to remind us that it's not "Big Ben", but he's wrong to say it's "St Stephen's Tower". The parliament.uk website confirms that the Great Clock is installed in the unimaginatively named Clock Tower.

Since posting this review, the Clock Tower (which has never been "St Stephen's Tower") has - as has been pointed out - been renamed the "Elizabeth Tower".
on 6 February 2014
Didn't realise when I ordered this that it's a small chunky book rather than the usual A5 size. While it does fit nicely into a pocket or handbag, it's difficult to hold and read it while walking and I think the spine will soon get creased. Content wise though, it's really good, quite detailed, with lots of interesting facts about various parts of London. We've only done two of the walks so far but there are plenty more to choose from.
on 28 November 2012
I did two of the walks on my recent trip to London and both were really great and very interesting. They were a mixture of off the beaten track and iconic landmarks. I recomend highly
on 11 March 2014
If you like discovering secrets (and not so secret) facts & trivia about the capital you will love this book.
The walks are clearly routed and easy to follow, and the historical content is first rate.
I particularly like that there are walks for all areas of the city: the east and south-east as well as the more usual central areas.
The book works well on the move. The lay out makes it easy to follow & the cover flaps help keep your place. It's easy enough to read, yet small enough to fit in a pocket.
A great way to spend a few hours -Entertaining and educational.