TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 March 2011
This meat of this book is the succinct description of the fifty or so theatres in the West End. There are two pages on each, the first being devoted to a little of the history of the theatre and notable shows it has hosted. The second page shows the seating arrangement. All the major theatres are there as well as a few surprises such as the Donmar Warehouse and the Open Air Theatre in Regents Park.

The descriptive page is useful, albeit of necessity somewhat brief. Many of our theatres are historical buildings in their own right so the summaries are often interesting and make you feel you would like to know more. I personally found the seating arrangements somewhat superfluous, as it is really impossible to tell from them how good a view you are going to get in practice from any particular area of the theatre.

So what we have is 50 odd pages of description of the theatres which I would rate as 4/5 Star stuff and 50 pages of theatre plans which are really only of academic interest. I think at that point the author felt that he did not quite have enough material for a book, so the rest is padded out with an eclectic mix of information such as how to book, local restaurants, theatre etiquette, late night buses etc, none of which I found of any particular interest. Personally I would have preferred it if all this was scrapped and we had two or three pages of description on each theatre rather than one.
on 26 February 2011
If you like to choose which west end show you see according to the best available seats then this is an excellent book. Allows you to see at a glance every theatre without constantly referring back to their website. I thought there would be more about which seats are best in individual theatres which wasn't the case but a minor detail.