on 3 July 2000
This book was the basis for a Coast to Coast ride completed by myself and 5 friends. A very tough 4 days riding (and carrying).
The routes selected seem to be the best in the areas crossed and in most cases the choice of one route over another can be seen to be justified. (We looked at several alternatives but reverted to those recommended).
The descriptions in the book are vague in places and and not detailed enough to warrant the title of "route guide". The route cards are adequate for marking the route on maps and are mostly very accurate and helpful. However some inconcistencies in description and waypoint mileages led to confusion.
Generally the only book of this route I am aware of, after much searching, and did the job required. A little bit sparse on detail but then the price is fairly low.
All in all our trip was a great success and was based on this route pack so it can't be too bad!
on 28 September 2009
This is more a collection of route cards and line drawings than a complete start to finish guide. I am in the process of plotting the route out onto memory map ready for loading onto the GPS. Directions such as "turn left after the cattle grid are not that easy to follow on the mapping and I have had to scratch my head a few times.
I wouldn't expect to buy this guide and set of without any further preparation but that's not the idea. I should be ready to go by the time summer comes around again and that is all I really wanted from the guide.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2012
This is the true coast to coast route. All sections are truly memorable . Done it quite afew times now, always using this book in conjuction with the OS maps. Simply mark off the route on each map with a highlighter pen. When youve finished using a map just post it home en route. To simply rely on just using the book alone would be asking for trouble , especially if the weather closes in. Usually done it in 4 days, St Bees-Coniston , Coniston-Kirby Stephen, Kirby Stephen-Osmotherley, Osmotherley-Boggle Hole. Plenty of training , and a nice healthy bike, make this a ride to remember
on 26 January 2015
I thought the Coast to Coast book was very poor. Basically it's a black and white photocopied booklet stapled together. Half the booklet is Tim's blog of his ride of which there are better ones on the web, the other half is a "route taster" which is very vague and a collection of B&B addresses which help pad it out. The separate Route Cards are a little better but still not much detail. Also supplied are "free" route maps (funny that I thought I'd paid £8.50 for them) which are black and white on photocopy paper and hard to follow. Save your money and do a few web searches instead to find all the information in this.
on 6 February 2011
I used this guide to plan my trip, which I completed in four days unsupported last September. You cannot rely on this guide exclusively, but it is a huge help. I used the book as a guide to mark out the ride out on OS Maps, which I then made into laminated cards (14 double sided!) to use in a map holder attached to my handlebars. I think most people will use GPS devices now, but I didn't have one. The coast-to-coast is gruelling and not formally marked out - so you will need to be able to orienteer. However, its a fantastic adventure which I thoroughly enjoyed and wholeheartedly recommend!
on 23 January 2013
This item is very good and very well priced. I have now a better idea of which route to take. Many thanks.
on 4 March 2014
Very useful guide to the Woodcock route with excellent information about options and points of interest. The route cards and maps are quite small and would benefit from being laminated. The cost seems high for what is a photocopied publication. Something properly printed with laminated route cards for a bit more money would have been better.
on 4 August 2010
easy to follow, havent actually done the ride yet (and probably wont in the near future) but Im sure this would be all you would need to guide you along the way