Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2006
This book was only brought to my attention some time after the death of Eddie's father. I am the Macmillan Nurse (Angel of Death) described in Beyond Language. This book is a truly memorable one. The writings about his father's stay in hospital have given me (and many of the students I talk to about cancer and its effects on the patient and the families) wonderful insight from the the people who matter the most.....the patient and their family. I can't recommend this book hightly enough. Also the Shopping Forecast in this book is a truly funny and wonderful piece of written work. I have memorised it.
on 15 January 2004
Republic of Ted is one of the most beautiful books of poetry I have ever read.
As the CEO of ABCtales.com I read a great deal of poetry every day. Eddie is a long standing member of ours and I have been a long standing fan of his!
However in Republic of Ted he has surprised even me. This slim tome is inspired by the death of Eddie's father, Ted. The set of poems dedicated to Ted's last days are poignant, sentimental, evocative and heart-stirring without ever being slushy. The book also includes the magnificent 'Shopping News' that should be way up the nation's 100 favourite poems if ever there was justice in the world. I cannot recommend it highly enough to you.
on 3 December 2006
I learnt of Eddie through his football poetry. Encouraged by a previous review, I purchased Republic of Ted and it now sits alongside Carol Ann Duffy's 'Rapture' as my favourite poetry book of recent times. Eddie has proven, through this book and others, that fame is no guide to the talents of a poet; were this so, he'd be offered a South Bank Show piece, for sure. Republic of Ted is a beautiful, observant and sensitive book that is by turns funny, poignant and very, very sad. It's a glorious work. Buy it, let's make Eddie as famous as he deserves to be.