5.0 out of 5 stars An Insider's view of "Pet Hates"
Published on 20 Jan. 2007 by Tamy Jewes

1.0 out of 5 stars Overly Negative
Published on 26 Dec. 2010 by Der Tierarzt

5.0 out of 5 stars An Insider's view of "Pet Hates", 20 Jan. 2007
Tamy Jewes (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Hates: The Shocking Truth About Pets and Vets (Paperback)
James Heriot wrote books filled with tales and anecdotes which were mild and humerous to a pubic which knew nothing of the reality of a vet's life.Artmeir has opened Pandora's Box and out has popped the harsh realities of what happens to a vet day after day and week after week.These realities are what has made the profession the top one for suicide by a long way.There is plenty of humour in this book, albeit most of it rather black.Josh may be accused, with some justification, of writing with a "burnt stick"; nonetheless it is all true even though the unpleasant events and disasters may not always happen in an unmitigated stream.The alphabetical approach to chapters/topics is unusual but works.

If you have or used to have a pet then read "Pet Hates". If you are thinking of studying veterinary medicine then read it two or three times!

By:Another member of the profession

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and thought provoking read, 6 Jan. 2007
Teviot Duart (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have always thought that being a Vet must be a rewarding job. After reading this book my views have definitely changed! Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. Josh Artemeier uses black comedy to keep the horrible truth about working as a Vet amusing and entertaining which makes it a fantastic read. It also really made me think about our attitude to animals as a nation.

This book is highly amusing, informative and yet shocking all at the same time. An excellent read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Overly Negative, 26 Dec. 2010
While I understand Mr. Artmeier entitled this "Pet Hates", nothing could have prepared me for the onslaught of vitriolic negativity that would ensue over the next 157 pages. It reads more like an anger management diary, at the end of which it is claimed that the author is a "lover of humans and animals". His disdain towards animals is made apparent throughout, most notably by his cavalier resorting to euthanasia at almost every opportunity. Those in the veterinary profession have the unique ability to use euthanasia as the ultimate treatment option for pain, it should not be thought of in any other way. I also find it laughable that Mr. Artmeier thinks he is a lover of humans, as he refers to both colleagues and clients with offensive language, here are a few choice expletives he tags hard working veterinary nurses with: "She's a bitter cow anyway [...] the bitter bitch of a nurse". The only reason I gave this book one star is that the author does itemise each chapter (e.g.: Foreign Bodies, Heart Failure, Antibiotics etc.), and to be fair to him, there is some measure of accuracy to his descriptions of various cases. Whatever you do, do not purchase this book, it's negativity is astounding and unrelenting. I only hope Mr. Artmeier found happiness outside of the veterinary profession...

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to read this wee gem!, 12 Dec. 2006
Adrian Lovett (UK) - See all my reviews
Being a patron of several taverns along Leith Walk in Edinburgh I happened by chance, to meet an interesting character known to a select few as 'Josh Artmeier'. After a decent banter and a good few laughs he told me of his recently published book 'Pet Hates'. So, fully charged the next Saturday morning, off I went to my local Waterstones to bag myself a copy.

Pet Hates is a great little ditty that flows well and will have you grinning (sometimes cringing) at the humourous illustrations and equally humourous footnotes. You'll be introuduced to a world seen by few and assumed by many! Being the owner of felines in the past little did I know of the horror and intensity hidden behind the ever professional facade of my local vet! It's entertaining and informative with lots of little facts and figures pertaining to the vetinary industry, towards qualified vets, nurses and students alike. It really makes you appreciate your 'day job'!

So if you own an animal, are thinking of buying one or maybe just know someone that will benefit from a bit of much needed insight. Throw this one in the goody bag!

Cheers! 'Josh'

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Pet Hates!, 21 Oct. 2006
Hilarious! My favourite bits were the flea and obesity consultations and the piece on corpses. I won't look at pets and their owners the same way. I can imagine aggrieved cat lovers getting together with bulldog and Rottweiler owners to hunt the author down, possibly joined by a few angry vets - the ones he calls "shysters"!

By the way, I haven't quite worked out whether the guy is a misogynist or a feminist, or is "Josh" a woman even, or possibly this book is a collaborative effort between a female receptionist and a male vet? Whoever "Josh Artmeier" is, he/she/they appear(s) to love receptionists but have it in for practically everyone and everything else! It's tongue-in-cheek but I suspect there's a lot of truth here. It'll be interesting to see how those in the profession respond.

If you've any interest in pets or vets you simply must read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Taken by surprise., 10 Nov. 2006
This book was not what I expected it to be. I expected it to be a book of funny anecdotes to chuckle over whilst having a cup of cocoa at bedtime. It is funny - but it is humour that comes from a surprising angle, challenging you at every step. You will laugh, and laugh deep, but you will be forced to examine the way humans and animals interact, and in particular the way YOU and animals interact. It's an utterly unique look into the world of vets, pets and their often deluded, anthropomorphising owners.

To sum up, this is a very funny, very serious book, that does not patronise the reader in the way that most books written by professionals for the layman often do.

At times it's silly, and then moments later it's deeply philosophical and questioning.

I'll be buying a few for Christmas presents.

For the dogs, of course.

3.0 out of 5 stars Josh Artmeier Gives A Voice To The Voiceless, 30 Nov. 2010
3.5 STARS

As I started to read this non-fiction, black comedy about the horrors of being a veterinarian, I found it hard to distinguish whether the author dislikes people or animals more, but decided that it's probably people.

Pet Hates: The Shocking Truth about Pets and Vets by Josh Artmeier (illustrated by award-winning cartoonist Frank Boyle) is an interesting, eye-opening, and often humorous read that left me feeling rather insecure about my own intelligence and motives for having a pet. I wanted to ask forgiveness from the author on behalf of those of us poor humans who choose to have pets in our lives without realizing what our veterinarians have to go through in order to treat them.

I'm sure the book is true of the author's experience (it may have been embellished a bit to add to the drama & humor of it as he did in fact write under a pseudonym to protect the extremely guilty) in the UK, but I'm really hoping that's not the case for all vets and that hopefully things are a bit different in Canada at least. I agree that it must be a very stressful job and I know I couldn't do it, although I thought I wanted to when I was a kid.

Pet Hates chronicles everything from Abscesses and Anal Glands to Ears and Euthanasia to Vaccinations and X-rays in alphabetical, short, sad, sardonic, and cynical chapters. It is the antithesis of James Herriot's tales of All Creatures Great and Small and shockingly describes why so many vets end up as either alcoholics or suicides.

This book reinforces the fact that human beings are the cruelest animals on the planet and our dysfunctional society makes many unhappy people who end up living through their pets. I know this because I have been one of them at times during my life, but my pets have also given me a reason to live during moments when I felt that I didn't want to go on and I'm grateful to them and to God for allowing me to have them. My dogs in particular have enriched my life in ways I find hard to express. I believe that God put dogs on Earth to teach us about unconditional love and that joy that can be found in simple things.

When I asked the author about what he intended to express with Pet Hates, he replied:

"The book boils down to the question: what is intelligent compassion? Animals are at our mercy not only as individuals but as breeds. Our dysfunctional society makes many unhappy people who live through their pets. Is it not better to address the dysfunction at its root?

...Our capitalistic/materialist society does not make for happiness. Pets are hapless victims of the stress, anxiety and irrationality that results."

I can't argue with that, although I do believe that there are many responsible, well-adjusted pet owners who treat their animals as well as they treat their children. If you are sensitive about pet care, read this book at your own risk.

Over all though, I am compelled to thank Josh Artmeier for giving a voice to the voiceless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing reading!, 28 May 2010
M. Tyler "daisychain" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a vet, I certainly can identify with many of the scenarios Josh writes about but having read this book from cover-to-cover, it left me feeling really disheartened and depressed about my career and profession. Yes the job has its downsides but they are more than balanced by the good cases -the clients who really value us, the odd bottle of wine or fiver at the end of a job well done, the satisfaction of curing an animal or getting that cow calved. Yes I laughed out loud at some of what Josh has written but it does need to be taken in context and he does only give half the story! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it hasn't put me off..., 7 Mar. 2010
I read this book after buying when I read the reviews,
Most of the rants and raves in it are petty though saying that some really are a true horror!
It makes a good read though it hasn't put me off aiming for my dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 12 April 2007
I have always wanted to be a vet and I recomend this book to all who are in my situation. It has certainly shocked me but not put me off. It is fantastically writain and everyone who loves/works with animals should read it!

Pet Hates: The Shocking Truth About Pets and Vets
Pet Hates: The Shocking Truth About Pets and Vets by Josh Artmeier (Paperback - 11 Oct. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01