on 1 September 2008
As an archaeologist and re-enactor, this book is inspirational. Well documented, well written and informative. Finally, we are able to access details of Anglo-Saxon textiles in a digestible and comprehensive manner. I couldn't wait for this book to be published, and it has exceeded my expectations. I prefer it in many ways to the ubiquitous "Dress in Anglo-Saxon England" by Owen-Crocker, which is also a must for both students of Anglo-Saxon textiles and re-enactors.
on 19 September 2008
If you are an archaeologist who needs good reference materials on your bookshelf for report writing, or what I call a 'serious' reenactor (someone who avoids man-made materials and ensures everything worn is documented) then this book is an excellent investment and addition to your collection.
There were a couple of down points, such as the sparse information on girdle hangers such as the 'keys' and the crystal balls which came to less than a paragraph, and children, which came to nearly a page. A lot of material was needlessly concentrating on veils, at the cost of other important points. I find this surprising due to what is commonly found in woman's graves. Even the Fylfot brooches are ignored with the exception of one poorly executed illustration even though one appears on the front cover.
However, I did find this book very useful and even with some pieces missing I still feel it has much to offer both archaeologist and the reenactor.
on 13 November 2009
A well-written, engaging and comprehensive account of textiles and mortuary ritual in Anglo-Saxon England during this period. There are lots of excellent graphics and pictures included. Recommended to any scholar studying various subjects - e.g. archaelogy, medieval studies and the history of clothing.
on 1 March 2014
I am a re-enactor and bought this to help me with my research, a little early for the period we cover but some interesting reading.