5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, but not for the novice cook
Published on 26 Dec 2010 by Emmy

2.0 out of 5 stars Looking for something original? Don't buy this book.
Published on 2 May 2012 by Tomasz Jarymowicz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, but not for the novice cook, 26 Dec 2010
I received this book as a Christmas present, and I must admit, it is absolutely gorgeous. Inside a beautifully illustrated box, under a layer or lilac crepe paper lay a pastel green, velvety book, with golden lined pages. Inside it were pages and pages of the French recipes, with wonderful pictures of expertly cooked cakes, biscuits, pastries and of course, macarons, laid out exquisitely on glass platers, or romantic table clothes or delicate china plates. The book, and all the sweets in it are truly works of art.
But now onto the recipes themselves. I've always baked, and was interested to try this book that showed baking as more a fine art than anything else. Precision and patience are two words that come to mind when thinking about what is required to follow these recipes. If you get it right, it's amazing, and getting it right can take a few goes. If you're not a confident cook, and lack the time, patience or skill to take your time and perfect these little pastries I probably wouldn't recommend, however, with experience, this book can be substance over style.
One final point is ingredients and equipment. Some of the recipes do require a few oddities, for example barquette moulds. They do exist, but certainly not down the kitchen aisle at Sainsbury's, and the same for nougat cream, though I tracked it down in the end, it wasn't without a bit of effort. This book is an exquisite peak into the elegant patisserie of Paris, Laduree, with patience, it can provide miracles to endlessly impress family and guests, but don't expect perfection the first time round.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exquisite and delicious book., 5 Jan 2011
K. Glover (UK) - See all my reviews
I was given this book as a christmas present and was overjoyed to unwrap this gorgeous soft mint green and shiny gold package - a surprising description for a cookery book.
The book is a feast for the eyes, first of all, and I have spent much time relaxing with it and a cup of tea, simply enjoying the pictures.
The recipes are very precise and moderately easy to follow - I spent a day making three types of macaroon and their fillings - they worked brilliantly and looked just like the picture.
This is a really inspiring book and a wonderful present either for someone who enjoys a little challange in the kitchen, or for someone who would simply enjoy looking at the most glamorous cookbook ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgous Book and Great Recipes, 8 Dec 2010
I am recently back from Paris with my girlfriend and one of the many bakeries and cafes we visited was Ladurée. In my opinion Ladurée is one of the best in Paris and definitely worth a visit if you are a fan of macaroons.

They sell this book in the shop but it is written in French but this version is written entirely in English.

I am a passionate cook and but a lot of cook books but this one is by far the most attractive one I have bought or even seen. The book comes in a box in typically Ladurée design and when you open the box you find the cover and back is made of padded material. The edges of the book is also that gold way you see on lots of old or expensive books.

Inside the book contains the recipes for pretty much most of the items on the Ladurée menu. I have not conducted an identical comparison but we recognised most of the cakes and pastries from the shop counter and the book even has the recipe for the hot chocolate that we had for breakfast.

Each recipe has a beautiful accompanying picture but the steps are a bit less descriptive than the likes you will find in the mainstream celebrity chef books but for someone that has a solid grounding in cooking they should suffice.

Due to its feminine looks the book will make an excellent present for your girlfriend/wife/mum etc. but similarly it has not stopped me getting stuck into the recipes.

Great book, 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 21 Jan 2013
This book is amazing! I made the macaron recipe and it was amazing! For a brief moment I thought I was back in Paris!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best macaron recipe ever!, 29 Dec 2011
Holly Guber "holly" (Maplewood, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Wow was this book worth the wait! I had a hard time finding this in the US but it was an easy purchase on Amazon UK. The recipes for macarons are excellent...I made the raspberry as well as chocolate for Christmas. The book comes packaged like the pastries from its namesake, in a beautiful tissue lined box! Best to measure in weight rather than volume though, it is much more accurate. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!!!, 22 July 2011
An amazing beautiful book!! The recipes are well written, accompanied by a picture, and include little bits of advice from the chefs at Laduree. It even comes in a pretty box with purple tissue paper. Would make a wonderful gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Delicious, 2 Feb 2011
Couldn't make a better gift for the special person in your life that appreciates the wonder of Laduree, or maybe it can become a wonderful gift for yourself! I loved getting the beautifully presented book. I know I will read, cook, and enjoy this for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A picture book!, 27 July 2011
I don't think I'll actually ever make any of the wonderful confections in this book (except perhaps the ice cream) but I love leafing through it and imagining I will! It's such a beautiful little book - a perfect gift for a cookery book collector.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looking for something original? Don't buy this book., 2 May 2012
Tomasz Jarymowicz (Tromsø, Norway) - See all my reviews
I waited for this book for something like 3 weeks and when it finally arrived I sent it back the next day. I had hoped to find some inventive original recipes but this book features recipes that you can find in other pastry books (how many macaroon recipes do you need?) If you are experienced baker and looking for something new this book is a waste of money. Not to mention that it is actually full of outdated food presentations. I give this book two stars becuase it can actually be good for some new bakers except for the fact that new bakers will not find this book instructive and detailed enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars French book, 21 Jan 2014
I had wanted to buy this book in French but I made a mistake and I ordered it in English.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ladurée: Savoury: The Recipes
Ladurée: Savoury: The Recipes by Sophie Tramier (Hardcover - 31 Oct 2011)