on 27 August 2006
Robert Newman on top form with this CD of his brilliant show on Global Energy Politics which was the best thing I have seen at the Edinburgh Festival in twenty five years. The show gives a unique historical perspective and relates it to todays geo-politics. Truly Great comedy not only makes you laugh but alters your perspective of the world - this piece is 5 star on both accounts. Well researched, provocative, illuminating, insightful and gloriously funny in turn. It allows full rein for the wide range of talents of one of today's most thoughtful comedians at the top of his game. Like Joe Strummer Robert Newman never sold out like many of the media tarts of his comedy generation. This is a must have for any socially aware comedy fan. You might like to read Heinberg's "The Party's Over" for more detail, but it won't be as funny!
on 22 December 2006
If you buy your friendship network and extended family just one present this Christmas, you should get them this album. Rob Newman is not just the bone-meltingly funniest man in Britain, his material forces you to engage with familiar issues: that War, the tedious Oil thing, Global yawning, with renewed interest because of the sheer edginess of his writing and originality of his presentation. It's a high-adrenalin act delivered with the aplomb of a master craftsman; he never sounds breathless though it's a virtuoso delivery no other comic could rival: he reminds me more of Olivier in The Entertainer than a Ben Elton or Robin Williams, so impeccable is his mastery of a rocket-fuelled script. A gem to be enjoyed over and over again.
on 5 November 2008
rob came to a tiny venue in Bath with Apocolypso Now and I loved every minute of it....searing, intelligent, wry, convincing stuff....i'm sure he doesn't want to play the bigger venues any more and in a way i'm glad -we felt we witnessed comedy gold that night.

rob weaves in wonderful anecdotes about political agitators from days gone by and gives you the truth about how the world works today - it's like listening to the funniest socialist politics professor you've ever met given licence to roam a stage with a cast of characters, dressed in a Victorian gown. sensational and unforgettable stuff.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2007
Have seen Rob Newman on stage when touring with Mark Thomas. Although humorous I'm afraid Rob was not as funny as Mark on stage, and the same is true of this CD. It is humourous, but nowhere near as funny as Mark's The Night War Broke Out. If I listen to Mark on CD I still laugh out loud on the fifth hearing. With Rob's CD I kind of sniggered to myself on the first hearing. It is worth listening to, but having listened once I cannot imagine listening to it again. I may just play TNWBO for a sixth time though...