4.0 out of 5 stars It offends everyone, but will make them laugh.., 9 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Truth About the Irish (Paperback)
I'm *not* a yank. I live here.
This is a really fun book. It's a long time since I read a book in a single sitting, but I couldn't put this down. Yes, he does have some side swipes at the English (If any of my English friends are reading this, you have to admit that this is fair enough, given our history), but he also has a few (far more subtle) shots at the US tourists who come here. And, of course for the Irish themselves! I laughed hard enough to blow the foam off my Guinness when I read his comment that the Irish were obsessed by their own image, 'which is why a considerable number of them are reading this book right now'...
As for his explanation of the 'Irish B&B'...
If you don't enjoy this book, I suspect you need a sense of hum(o)ur, urgently!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great way to Prepare for Re-location, 2 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Truth About the Irish (Paperback)
What a lot of us (even as close as England) don't realize is how isolated a culture Ireland had for years. Their culture, work ethics, etc are all formed in an isolated, poverty stricken history laced with oppression and famine.
This is such a funny book, and funnier yet after having lived in Dublin now a few months. It's a dictionary of the Irish! It's an amusing read, but a MUST READ if you're thinking of living there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light And Witty Counterpoint To The Irish Stereotype, 28 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Truth About the Irish (Paperback)
I'm a yank. I bought the book while on vacation in Galway. The basic premise is that Ireland is a REAL country with REAL people who deal with REAL problems, just like the rest of us. This contradicts the popular stereotype that Ireland is a kind of mystical paradise where the friendly people love to sing, drink, and procreate, and are happy all the time and want nothing more than to be certain that you are happy too. My companions became downright angry at some of Eagleton's points, because their idyllic view was obstructed if not obliterated.
It's a quick read and very funny. He takes some great pot-shots at the English. I recommend it.

The Truth About the Irish
The Truth About the Irish by Terry Eagleton (Paperback - 1 Mar 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01