on 31 January 2005
I can't agree more with ileake's ealier review... This book is a thought-provoking gem! Rather than go through chapters covering depth of field and the sunny 16 rule, Ward's book barely touches on the technical aspect of Landscape Photography.
Instead, it covers the philosophy behind the creation of the landscape image; how to think about what you are doing in order to create provocative and emotive images; what it is that you're creating and also, what it represents. I've just finished reading it once, and like ileake, I'm going straight back to read it again.
I was stuck in a bit of a landscape rut at the end of last year - I wasn't happy with any of the images that I was producing and I was starting to move away from taking landscapes. This book has provoked me into thinking a little more and shooting a little less and I have started to see some pretty special results - I've just sold my first landscape shot at a local gallery!
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Not as a manual full of guides, rules and figures, but as an aid to your thought process and an encouragement.
on 29 November 2004
This is not a book for someone who wants to read about equipment and technique, nor is it for someone who just wants to see lots of great photos (though there are many of these inside). But if your looking for a well written, insightful and thought provoking book on landscape photography illustrated with a large number of David Ward's fantastic photographs, then this should be on your "must read" list. I finished it yesterday and tonight I'm starting again...
on 13 January 2008
After the first read I felt exactly like L Miles "Mind Numbing" review. However, before writing a scathing review I decided to re-read the book and analyse why and summarise what David Ward had and had not said. The second time round it felt like a completely different book. I had a feeling of the penny dropping and gained useful insights that I believe will take my own approach to a new level. The subject matter that David Ward tackles is very elusive and difficult to explain - with its own language. So maybe it is not surprising that one might not get it first time round. I am glad I persevered and recommend this book to anyone else who is prepared to work at moving their landscape photography up a level. A thought-provoking set of essays on the phychology and subtle qualities that lie behind a great landscape image and particularly inner landscape abstraction. I found the pictures, which tell their own story, did not follow the text particularly well and trying to read the sub-titles at the same time as the main text made it harder to read. I suggest that going through the book and looking at all the pictures and sub-titles before reading the book will make it easier to follow. Then read it again!
on 20 September 2012
I bought this book as inspiration as the pictures looked great. After receiving the book i found that while the picture are fantastic the content is full of waffle and seems to make me drift away from the content. To many quotes in the book for my liking. I just start reading and wooooo! of he goes again comparing things to great poets or stuff! So my opinion is WAFFLE ON DAVID
on 13 December 2009
I find the photography books that are not focused on technique far more interesting but this one almost becomes inspiring, but never quite goes that extra yard to make you feel like you've learnt anything. The last chapter is by far the best, and i wish the whole book was on that level. David Ward who has a very good way with words talks quite in depth, giving examples and famous quotes from philosophers and artists, but often they sidestep the aim of being inspiring or applicably relevant to a landscape photographer! If your new to landscape photography its probably a great book.
on 30 August 2009
I got this book to read on holiday and although I found it very interesting, and I am a big fan of David's images, I did find it a struggle to get through. It's very wordy and I really had to concentrate to understand it (no I am not a simpleton). Maybe it would be a better read for someone more artistically minded.

I did make me think more about the sort of shots I want to take of landscapes and that it's not all about the vista.
on 26 September 2011
A deep and interesting read. Not a how to book, more a why to book. It is not about right and wrong, but why am I wanting to capture this, and what story am I trying to tell? Some fascinating images to go with the thoughtfully challenging text. A book to mull over, and return for new insights again and again.
on 12 March 2010
After reading another books written by Ward (specially "Landscape beyond") I must say that this one is another great book.
The book is plenty of inspirational ideas, and focus over some aspects another works do not.

Un gran libro sobre cómo entender la fotografía. Algo así como una filosofía de la fotografía de paisaje. Escrito en un inglés asequible, bien merece una lectura atenta y una relectura algún tiempo después.
on 21 August 2014
An inspirational book from an inspirational photographer. This is not a book of how too, but how to interpret, from taking a picture and moving to a higher plane and making an image.
on 31 July 2015
Very inteetsing book with good insights into the meaning of photography.