5.0 out of 5 stars For all IT, Information Governance or Information Security guru's, 9 Jun 2010
D. Horner "Brew Monster" (Colchester, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Information Security Management Principles: An ISEB Certificate (Paperback)
I've been working in Information Security for a Government organisation for over a year now and wanted a professional qualification to boost my career prospects and to ensure that my role was taken seriously. I chose the ISEB CISMP as they have a good reputation and the training seemed to offer exactly what I wanted. Because of my work experience I was able to apply for the Direct Entry examination and ordered this book to make sure I was ready. It is a fantastic book, well written, relevant and well worth the money. It takes you right from the begining of an organisation having no information security and takes it right through to designing your own information security architecture, documentation, risk assessments, and there's techy stuff such as encryption, VPN, SSL and other stuff. I passed my exam first time with this. The only negative comment I would make is that some of the exam questions were not covered in the book, and I would recommend doing some research into TCP/IP, and other network security stuff. An excellent book that I'd have no hesitation in recommending to any information security or IT manager.

4.0 out of 5 stars A recommended guide book for CISMP, 14 Jun 2013
If you are sitting for CISMP exam, this is the primary guide book you should read first before tackling the exam. The book should cover almost all aspects of the exam topics you need to know to pass CISMP. You could pass the exam by reading just this book alone if you stick to your own well-devised strategy in preparing for the exam like I did or simply you dare to take a chance with a minimum hours of study! I was almost new to Information Security, so I studied this book thoroughly coupled with an anthology of exam questions for revision, which I purchased cheap from some website and passed CISMP. I know some people spend about 2K attending 5 day courses in CISMP but if you play it right, you just need to buy this book alone and prepare for CISMP. One thing though, for complete beginners in Information Security, you may find this book a bit too concise especially if you wanted more elaborated account of each topics covered. If that's the case, you could find additional materials on Information Security on the Internet or cross reference with IT Governance matters, some of which overlap with Information Security.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets the requirement-mostly!, 6 Dec 2012
Anthony Daly (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on the basis of the other reviews on here which I found helpful. A colleague of mine sat one of the week long courses to obtain his qualification but as I'm looking to do my CISSP in the next 12 months or so, I wanted to save my money for that course.

The layout of the book is very easy to digest. I purchased the kindle version of this book and whilst there are a few diagrams, they were very easy to read on the kindle. My only criticism of the book is that it soon became labourious to flit between the questions section and the answers.

I sat the exam at the start of the month having purchased the book 3 weeks previous to that. The exam is more common sense than anything else and is multiple choice. The exam is 2 hours long and I used the full time for it including time to go over each and every question in detail to make sure I was happy with what I put down. There were a few areas that weren't covered that well in the book such as cloud computing and service level agreements-to be honest, some of the questions were slightly on the pedantic side and the answers would be dependent on what was stated in the service level agreement. I found some of the questions a bit ambiguous which was very frustrating but that's exams for you!

I got my result today and scored well enough to get a distinction so overall, I'm very happy and the book is more than up to the job-save yourself by going the self-study route!

The only downside is that we were told in the exam that we'd get our result in about 2 weeks (officially it's 3 weeks). The result didn't come out until just before the 4 week point which normally wouldn't be a concern but I don't see what the hold-up was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 30 Sep 2013
I did the CISMP course and this book helped my pass the couse without any issues. A very good foundation book for IT security policies.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to information assurance, 14 Dec 2008
A. Taylor "Practitioner" (Sherborne, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Information assurance or security is a growing concern and this introductory book covers all the basic principles. Intended to support the ISEB examination of the same name, it provides a good grounding to anyone faced with the issues of proper information security and how to implement it. It supports the international information security standards and gives a good insight into some of the more complex areas.

It has been approved by the Information Commissioner as making a "... timely contribution ..." to the understanding of the issue.

This publication should be read by all IT managers and information security managers at all levels in an organisation as well as those more senior managers with corporate or departmental information security responsibilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, 25 Nov 2010
B. Jones - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you are a student of Information Security or have your own business and concerned about Information Security Management then this is a good book to read.
Its easy to read and very informative.

Information Security Management Principles: An ISEB Certificate