Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 December 2000
This overlooked gem from Elizabeth David illustrates how English cooking has drawn on a rich and diverse heritage from early times through to its colonial hey-day. It demonstrates how English cooks were innovative and flexible in adapting their style to the wealth of other influences. In particular it refutes the idea that English cooking is bland and boring.
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2003
I bought this book the minute it was released in paperback, and I have referred to it time and time again. It is more history and reference than recipes, but the recipes are good, and I have made a number of them. Once made, they tend to get repeated! As a reference book, it is great help in muti-ethnic eating and food shopping.
on 9 May 2003
I first read this short book 10 years ago. I still have the copy I purchased then, and use it regularly. You find out where the spices come from and what to do with them. You are also given clear instruction on the cooking of rice. The receipt for Pilau rice is to die for. Cinnamon Ice Cream, though it sounds odd does very well as dessert for an Indian style meal.
on 13 December 2007
If I was asked, what cookery book would you take on a desert island? -- it would be this one! My paperback copy, now a good 30 years old, is yellow and falling to pieces, but I wouldn't part with it. Every recipe is a revelation, not just good cooking, but cooking to die for! I really must get one of these hardbacks, before someone throws my old and tatty copy in the bin! You'll never watch another tv cook programme, ever.
on 20 January 2010
I do not always like Elizabeth David's writings, a little too personal, but there is no doubt that she had a great amount of experience in continental cooking, and had a great influence on cookery writing in this country. There is a great deal of information available in this book which is hard to find anywhere else - and I have just counted 70+ cookery books on a nearby shelf without getting up. Worth reading even if you do not intend to cook today!
on 8 September 2013
My husband, the chef has been looking for her books for a while, finally I found them on amazon. He said Elizabeth's writing is factual and witty and thoroughly enjoyed the read. The books are vital knowledge for anyone who wishes to cook.
on 27 July 2012
As always Elizabeth David, educates, entertains and informs. This volume is a perfect example of her well researched history of our favourite flavourings.
on 27 November 2012
I'm an Elizabeth David fan, this book follows the others in that it is informative and leaves you wanting to try to cook in her style.
on 1 April 2013
Another beauty from Elizabeth David. They are all so easy to read and gain knowledge from. Like a visit from a friend.
on 27 December 2015
Reading Elizabeth David and remembering her world is one of the joys of growing old. What will today's young remember? What on a denuded earth will be left for their children? You'll have gathered that this is a work of history and memoir as well as cookery. My wife was thrilled by it. (Aromatics, by the way, are herbs.)