5.0 out of 5 stars great little book for improving tactical ability
At my level (around 1200-1300 elo) this is a little marvel! For starters the price is good and it's a quality hardback which is rare for chess books. Unlike the majority of chess manuals this is a doddle to read and doesn't require a photographic memory or multiple chess sets to work through!
The title is a little misleading though. This is basically 50 checkmating...
Published on 4 Jun 2003 by PianoNut

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice title, good content, shame about presentation on pages
The title was very appealing to myself and my junior school son who couldn't wait to figure out how to beat me having had successes against his school friends. Whilst I used to be a strong club player decades ago and hadn't played for over 20 years I found it very
easy to follow and soon picked up moves again. My son soon picked up on it and we learnt together but...
Published on 28 Feb 2010 by Harvey S-P

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Beat your Dad at Chess, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
I bought this for a family of three boys who are interested in learning to play chess but found it difficult to give it away to them!!! I love learning with humour and this is what this book does. Good for both adults and children who are beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book which actually works, 7 July 2012
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
In the words of my 8 year old son...."this is an amazing book whcih actually works! It has taught me lots of new check mates. It's easy to read and understand. Thank you."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on all the standard mating positions and attacks, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
This is a great book to learn about mating attacks for the first time, or as a refresher for stronger players, so that you can spot them in your games and gain quick victories.

For beginners it is the perfect place to learn about all the standard checkmates and standard attacking procedures; For more stronger, experienced players, it serves as an excellent reminder/refresher for checkmates/attacks that you should know inside out.

I wasn't familiar with every checkmate given in this book, and had forgotten a few. This book served as the perfect answer for a quick reminder on all the standard checkmates and attacks. Nice production quality on this book too.

2.0 out of 5 stars To complicated for your average child, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my 11 year old daughter who knows the rules (just about) on the assumption it would take her a step further so she would know how to checkmate with two queens, a queen and a rook, two rooks, just a queen etc. However it is way beyond that level. It's way beyond me! I think this would be a good book for chess fans who have kids infected with the chess bug. However if you have learned the rules as a child yourself and occasionally get the board out to play a game on a rainy day to play a game with your kids, this book probably isn't for you. It makes a lot of assumptions about what you already know about chess and apart from the cartoon on the front cover really doesn't seem to be aimed at kids at all to me. I wish I had got her the "Chess for Children" book that I bought her younger sister - at least we have a copy in the house, which she is borrowing and seems to enjoy.

In short - wouldn't recommend unless your child is already better at chess than your average adult member of the population.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those with an understanding of chess., 9 April 2014
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
This book is probably slightly advanced for beginners, but is a useful resource as a child becomes more skilled in the sport of chess. I think my daughter still needs a bit more understanding of the game before this book becomes useful for her. I on the other had am quite enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good buy, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
This book really helps people who are at the beginning level to improve their chess skills. There is so much to learn and so much fun, the whole family enjoyed studying it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
My 8 year old son wanted this book and I am glad I got it for him. I see him fully engaged with the book and for me it is a good sign.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Beat your Dad at Chess, 1 July 2010
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
An excellent book, my 11 year old's chess improving daily since having this. Not quite deep blue, but on his way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not the best thing for absolute beginners, 20 Sep 2010
Luke A. G. Palmer "Luke Palmer" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
Here's how I play chess: I know how all the pieces move, and I move them accordingly when it's my turn, and I try to take my opponent's pieces. Hardly sophisticated, and in fact I don't enjoy the game for anything other than the opportunity it presents for socialising.

I hoped that this book would teach some basic strategy, but I found that the tactics it recommended each involved so specific an arrangement of pieces, that it simply was not worth memorising them all on the off-chance that they'd come up.

Perhaps a better title would have been: "How to beat your dad at chess (if you've been playing for five years or more)"

4.0 out of 5 stars got this for grandson who is learning to play chess ..., 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) (Hardcover)
got this for grandson who is learning to play chess and who hopes to beat his dad. we shall see.

How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess)
How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess) by Murray Chandler (Hardcover - 2 Jan 1998)