5.0 out of 5 stars Stories we should be hearing everyday, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: Made in Bradford (Paperback)
I have just finished this book having read it back to back in two short sittings - unusual for me to read so fast but it tells you how compulsive it was.

Made in Bradford is a timely book and one that excels in its simplicity - a presentation of interviews with Bradford born/resident British-Pakistani men; too often the voices we hear the least of in the media stories. It reads with the lightest of editing (though one must remain aware of the author's friendships with the interviewees) and very much like talk-head monologues; each chapter a flow of consciousness from an interviewee about a particular subject.

Though part of a larger academic study, Made in Bradford refreshingly is stripped of the research and just presents the interviews with no commentary for you to make of what you will. I found the interviews funny, compelling, familiar, energising, angry, mundane and more. In summary, stories of everyday lives, making sense of something bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Whether Made in Bradford or Sheffield: Life can be a Full-Circle"!, 18 May 2009
Matloub Husayn-Ali-Khan "Matloub" (South Yorkshire, Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made in Bradford (Paperback)
On reading this book "Made in Bradford" reminded me instantly of: "Made in Sheffield" in terms of the world famous Sheffield Steel & the Stainless Steel Cutlery! As some one who has written about life and working in Sheffield's East End "My life has turned Full-Circle" and not to dissimilar to the chapter at (p201) on "Full-Circle" by MY Alam which discusses the 7/7 bombings in London. Although in my writings I talk about starting to work in an area I first lived in when I first came to Sheffield in 1967.

Due to these ironic coincidences, I found the book to be very straightforward and easy to read and I read it back to back very quickly. I could easily relate to the interviews with the Bradford born/resident British-Pakistanis men and I felt their anger, joviality and sense of seriousness of the issues at hand like drugs, criminality, forced marriages, racism, employment, politics, faith and freedom.

The book is a refreshing change to the recent media hype on riots within Muslim communities in Britain prior to 9/11 in summer of 2001.

One omission in the book is that I felt that the Pakistani men could easily have been "Pakistani-Kashmiris" of even "Azad Kashmiris". There seems to some be inherent bias in the author's viewpoint on not accepting the facts that 70% of Pakistanis in Bradford are "Mirpuris" from Azad Kashmir and yes they have Pakistani passports as well as British Passports - which does not necessarily always makes them feel Pakistani or British for that matter. Also, some of the 7/7 bombers parents originated from Azad Kashmir.

Apart from this, I think the book discusses the lives of young Muslims in Bradford brilliantly and puts into a wider context and at a macro-level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bradford rocks., 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Made in Bradford (Paperback)
Item as descriibed by seller. Delivered promptly. Excellent condition. Alam has done an excellent job in giving voice to the people of Bradford who never have their voices heard. I want the Chattering Classes to shut up long enough to listen to the voices Alam has recorded, and to think, before they respond, to what these guys are saying. Bradford is a fantastic place, stuffed full of good people who are having a ridiculously hard time, made much worse by ignorance and malice from outside the city. thank goodness for Alam's work. Respect to Alam himself. He's done a good job here. No one should be allowed to say anything about Bradford until they've read this and found out what they are about to pass comment on - there's so manay people out there with opinions but no knowledge of what they have opinions on. Bradford rocks. I know. I live here.

Made in Bradford
Made in Bradford by M.Y. Alam (Paperback - 8 Nov 2006)
7.20