on 28 May 2002
The book is clearly set out and each chapter relates to the current FENTO standards.
For students studying the Cert. Ed. or PGCE programme with little or no teaching experience this is a valuable resource. It is written in plain English....something of a novelty when it comes to books on education theory!
The more experienced teacher/trainer may find that the book does not have enough depth but it certainly serves as a suitable source to 'dip into' for quick references.
The book covers all the key areas but due to the nature of the profession of teaching and the limitations of size it may not meet all the teachers needs. However it does provide a starting point for further reading.
0Comment|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2003
If you are studying for a teacher-training course accredited by FENTO (Further Education National Training Organization) this is the definitive book. I've used it for a City & Guilds 7407 course and a PGCE, my wife has used it for a City & Guilds 7307 course. It's carefully divided into chapters covering the sections of a typical course which really helps to constrain the amount of reading you have to do to prepare for a written assignment. The text is very quoteable and referenceable. For a good result, though, I suggest you don't get all your source material from this book, however tempting that may be. Add a few references to books such as Armitage, Minton or Curzon, and you'll be laughing.
As far as I can tell from my limited experience, it seems that a typical ILTHE (Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education) accredited course is also very likely to follow the same structure, so I'd guess this book would also be useful for HE teachers too.
0Comment|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2000
Published for students studying 'Certificate in Education - post 16'. Well laid out and easy to read and digest. Outlines various teaching practices and methodology. Not a lot of material available on the subject matter but this book rates as one of the best. PS Anybody with any other titles on the subject matter
on 20 March 2010
An invaluable practical guide, this Teaching Training book has been a constant source of information for many of my assignments, and I cannot recall what I did without it previously. The indepth and clear explainations exactly as required for my professional development in the field of education studies. I highly recommend.
on 1 May 2009
This is one of the best books for any PGCE or Cert Ed student. Having completed year one of the course, this book was invaluable with its easy reference to theories and simple explanations of practice. It will also be useful in the second year of study and is a great companion for any budding teacher. Reece and Walker is part of the recommended reading list for the PGCE course and should be one of the first books bought.
on 29 September 2009
Having just started my development to the new level of qualififcation in relation to PTLLS, CTLLS & DTLLS, I have found this book to be one of the in depth books to use to assist me in my studies, also to assist me further with my own training development. Worth buying and dont just put it on the shelf, use it for back referencing and adapting your own abilities, it has given me a better understanding at DTLLS level.
on 3 November 2004
A very good book if you're taking up a 7407 course. Gives loads of information but a major drawback must be the index. For some reason there are very few keywords in the index so to find anything you need to rifle through the book. Overall though one of the best teaching books you can buy.
on 29 August 2012
As a Newly Qualified Teacher this book has been excellent to build my teaching pratice. It was valuable to have during my PGCE year to complete assignments and observations.

Easy to read, well presented, and gives examples to meet professional (QTLS) standards. Great value and would reccomend for both experienced and student teachers.
on 25 February 2015
Great clear concises and It tell you pros and cons examples of various teachong methods.Very useful for assignment work to remind .I wish this should have all harvard references underline those examples rather than look at bilblography many times and tried to figure out which harvard references matching some good examples.There were very few but not really sufficient.I hope this book have ebook so I click easy for hard referencing For my time-saving ,do time-management for my assignments work.
on 30 December 2009
This book was on my recommended read list from college. Wish I had bought it before my final module! Excellent book, easy to read, with some well thought out tips and advice. Was exactly as described, 'a practical guide'.