5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest most readable story ever, 13 July 2001
By A Customer
This is less a story, more a well written, witty, hillarious and enjoyable memoir into the life of a criminal lawyer. I could not put the book down, I feel as if I know the author, his mates and the characters that have flown in and out of his professional life. A great read, a great author. I have just ordered the rest of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars LAUGHTER, LAUGHTER AND MORE LAUGHTER!, 6 Oct 2006
I read this book on a plane to the Bahamas. Our flight had been delayed for eight hours during the recent difficulties at UK airports and the start to our break had been beset with problems. I was not in the mood for laughter and wanted simply to be angry and dissappointed. I read the first ten pages of this book and forgot all about the flights, the delays, my youngest child not being able to take her juice on board, the fact there was no meal on the flight and that I'd not eaten for thirteen hours, because I was transported into another poor sod's world, a world where the most bizarre characters (the solicitor's very stange clients) completely knackered up his days and nights. This man tells such a funny story I would defy anyone, miserable or otherwise, not to laugh, cry and escape into a more crackers world than the one we all live in!

Brilliant, brilliant brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very funny book!, 6 Oct 2006
Callum Scott (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I always asked myself 'how can a solicitor defend a man who's plainly guilty of a crime?' This book explains the way it works in no uncertain terms and in the most honest and refreshing way. But, be warned, you're sides will hurt when you've finished. It's hilarious!

I saw the author give a speech recently at a benefit fundraisier for cancer research. He was the auctioneer, after dinner speaker and Master of Ceremonies and raised a fortune for the charity. People simply couldn't refuse to enter into the swing because of this man's humour and enthusiasm which is amazing given what he has seen and experienced in his life as a solicitor to scum and the wrongly accused alike.

I thought I'd see if his book was as funny as he was so I bought a copy a few days later. I read it that night. I couldn't put it down! I can recommend this book to anyone who thinks they work hard. This man is a matriarch and his book is truly hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
Stephen Smith is one of the best courtroom lawyers I have ever seen in action. This book, and his other books, are brilliant - hilariously funny, deeply moving at times and he gives you a real confidence and faith in the English criminal court advocate. Stephen Smith actually cares about his clients, he enjoys his work - and he seems to find the quirkiest, oddest clients possible! His tales are courtroom classics, and can be read over and again with great enjoyment. A wonderful man and a wonderful writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
Really recomend this book. It was an excellent read giving an insight to a solicitors life in the eighties. You feel that you are getting to know some his clients as well as he did. Very amusing tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining., 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
I live only 7 miles away from the practice that the author talks about (His own firm, actually) The locality was the first appeal. However, this book is an easy read, very entertaining, makes you happy, sad, LOL. It has the lot. I look forward to purchasing his other books from Amazon. (Might have to be for my KINDLE, I have just received one as a present for my birthday 27th September) Anyway, back to business. It doesn't really matter what type of books you usually read, this one is really well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
Not yet read the book but having heard the author at one of his amazing talks decided to make this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boozers Ballcocks & Bait, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
I have an awful job getting my husband to relax with a book. I sent for this hoping he would read it whilst on holiday. It was a great success. Each time he opened it I could hear him laughing so I say Cheers Stephen Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read, 2 Dec 2009
C. Lindley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail (Paperback)
A very entertaining read and well crafted book. Ideal for anyone with an interest in law or hilarious snippets of everyday life.

ARRAY(0xadbfe5ac)

Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail
Boozers, Ballcocks and Bail by Stephen D. Smith (Paperback - 8 Oct 2007)
9.99