Format: HardcoverChange

on 28 January 2013
Bought this as a Christmas gift and then read it myself after it had been opened as it's ideal for dipping in and out of and having a laugh. The book has two front covers, one side is 'Dumb Britain', daft answers on tv and radio quiz shows such as the Mississippi is in Egypt, Mary I was a Buddhist and Shane Warne played cricket for France while the other side is 'Commentatorballs' from people as diverse as Robbie Savage and Nick Clegg. With some of the choices, it's possible to see what the speaker meant, I liked Ian Holloway's "We're on the crest of a slump" and some are just mixed metaphors or slips of the tongue while others take a little more working out.

It depends on your attitude whether you think people are stupid and it's a damning indictment of Britsh society or whether it's just a bit of fun as people get nervous on tv.
on 2 January 2013
If you're looking for Colemanballs edition 16 and can't find it, don't despair. This is it, kind of. It's called Commentatorballs now. The name change coinciding with creator and long-time compiler Bary Fantoni's retirement combined with the realisation that not all readers will know who David Coleman, the original inspiration for the series, is.

If you're looking for Dumb Britain edition 3. This is also it. Flip the book over and the other half is Dumb Britain, a collection of daft answers from UK quiz shows.

The two sections meet in the middle.

Anyway, five stars from me. Because it's two books that I know and love combined into one volume.
on 10 April 2013
Not a book to settle down and read from cover to cover. It's a dip-in book - read a bit and then leave it a while. If only I could think of a good room in the house to keep it in for just such a reading style.
on 8 May 2013
I thought it would be annual size. It is very very funny and I had to wrap it up to stop myself reading it before giving it to hubby for his birthday. Wish they were still called Colemanballs though.
on 21 March 2013
An ideal book to dip in and out of . A definite for fans of Private Eye, and quiz shows.
on 14 January 2014
I used to love Colemanballs and still have every copy in my collection, but eyeballs is even better.

Well worth buying as a tonic for the blues.
on 6 March 2013
When people get their words mixed up it sounds funny. Seeing those words in print is so much funnier! If you need a good giggle, read this book....
on 13 January 2013
Well put together. Good choices of material and categorised well. Had to look up some of the answers I didn't know.
on 21 February 2013
Terrific for lovers of language, though provoking and cringe making at the same time. Well worth it. I recommend it
on 19 January 2014
As a subscriber to Private Eye I found this a good read but I guess that says more about me than the book itself!