5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best
Without any doubt the best book about speed reading I have read!
Finally we get clear instructions how to develop speed reading, the skill
essential not only for academic success but for also for business
and every other profession which requires quick reading of a lot of material.
I will certainly use it with my students and recommend they read the...
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by Amazon Customer

What follows is a warning for rational people. TL;DR - this book's few original techniques rely on a lot of unfounded claims.

- Title/premise
Published 23 months ago by Luke Spear

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best, 9 Jun 2012
Without any doubt the best book about speed reading I have read!
Finally we get clear instructions how to develop speed reading, the skill
essential not only for academic success but for also for business
and every other profession which requires quick reading of a lot of material.
I will certainly use it with my students and recommend they read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most straight forward and easiest way to really learn to process information many many times faster., 31 July 2011
Having read and tried many speed books and even tried photoreading courses I was doubtful this book would actually make a difference, but I was pleasantly surprised to be dead wrong. The simple and easy to do strategies taught really work.

The heuristics the authors teach on how to change how you think from reading to processing information made a huge difference to me and I no longer need to worry or feel bad thinking "am I missing any info?" instead the way I rapidly process information has become so much more a breeze for me and I finally feel confident that I can get to answers quicker, learn faster and remember so much more. Thanks a million for a great resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed reading rocks!, 24 Feb 2011
I'm a student from Poland studying business at London university. It's been
really hard getting all the reading done in foriegn language and I was a bit
worried that the spd rdng techniques won't work for me. I haven't finished
the whole book yet, but I'm already managing to get all the info I need for
my essays using something called syntopic reading and mindmapping where I
work with four books at the same time in just 75 minutes. Cool. All students
should learn this. Why don't they teach it to everyone?????

1.0 out of 5 stars A warning for those who like facts, truth, and dislike wishful thinking, pseudoscience, 4 Jan 2013
Luke Spear (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews

- Title/premise
Pat on the back to the marketing department for using a concrete number in the title with '37 strategies'. Might have been a good idea to make sure that a majority of those were usable, though, so as not to disappoint readers. And of those usable strategies, could have been a good idea for the authors to include a range of original ones. I find it hard to say that there really were 37 strategies, original or otherwise, in the book.

- Actual factual content
The Wikipedia article on speed reading contains more information, I'm afraid. This book is padded out beyond belief, which is odd, given that the whole idea of the 'spd rding' course is to ignore fluff and seek 'information hotspots'.

- Concepts
The only concepts that seemed applicable to reading at speed with any level of real comprehension were those you'd find in any speed reading overview.

Other concepts were suspect, such as the 'download method' which takes up a large part of the book. With this you 'download' a book to your brain by looking at a page a second. Apparently you aren't allowed to let anyone test your comprehension though, rather you should rely on the information coming to you when you need it. There is a warning not to use this method alone, but to combine it with actual reading... what more needs saying.

The methods appear increasingly less credible as the authors go on to use pseudo-scientific concepts and an impressive array of logical fallacies in their reasoning.

One of the key ideas to speed reading as put forward in the book is not to read the books you don't need to read. And not to read those parts of the books that you don't need to read in the books you do need to read.

For comprehension the goal is to pull out just the key information needed from those 'information hotspots'. Mapping these to a Tony (TM) Buzan (TM) Mindmap (TM) is then advised. Makes sense, but is hardly original. Or speed reading.

The advice for computer programmers is to guess the 'computer codes' you need to enter after having 'downloaded' the book to your brain. Similar advice, worryingly, goes out to medical students. If our national health and IT systems relied on this kind of knowledge, I'm not 100% sure I'd feel very safe at all.

- Miscellaneous niggles
Spd rdng as a title was fine, catchy, but reusing 'spd rdng' as shorthand for speed reading throughout the book was just irritating.

I was frustrated when I'd reached 25% of the book (digital edition), wishing for it all to end at around 40% of the way through and pleasantly surprised that the actual thing ended at 50% of its textual content. The remaining 50% of the book is filled with 'practice material', the first part of which just happens to be a long treatise (by Rupert Sheldrake - renowned wishful thinker) on how humans can project energy out of their eyes onto other people's backs, causing them to turn around. This is, he says, precisely why the SAS and intelligence operatives have been taught not to look at their targets as they creep up on them. Of course it is!

It turns out that science has apparently not detected this energy form yet. Yes, it has picked up on the trivial magnetism, gravity from stars millions of miles away, but has missed the all powerful eye-energy and has completely overlooked the important work we could be doing with it here on Earth. How could those millions of researchers and so-called scientists have been so careless over these past few centuries of constant measurement and observation! Think of all the glorious inventions that could have arisen. Oh, and just in case you hadn't heard, eye-energy can be transmitted through CCTV cameras too.

It's this level of wishful/magical thinking, which apparently the authors approve of as there are references to Sheldrake's and others' dubious concepts throughout, that completely undermines the book's original ideas and its authors. The techniques it features that do work to improve reading speed are based on existing well-known ideas, as per the Wikipedia page.

So, bottom line: can I now read faster? Or have I just wasted a few hours on a pair of charlatans? Hopefully this review will spare you from the annoyance of thinking you'd made a good choice based on the currently impressive reviews, only to find that this was not a book of substance, but more of substance abuse. I can at least now spd rd faster, and you can too, by not reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, I wish I had read it years ago, 19 April 2012
S. Jackson (West London, UK) - See all my reviews
The core ideas in this book absolutely work, I starting reading so much quicker even after the first few pages.

It has dramatically changed the way that I read. I just wish that I read the book years ago as I would have been able to get through my reading so much quicker.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed reading is a time saver., 3 Aug 2011
Before I've read this speed reading bible I was reading at 210 words per
minute. After just a few days of applying only some of the techniques (there
are 37 techniques in total), I was reading at 600-800 wpm with higher
comprehension. And what's more the amount of the reading done was at least
10 times more than before. I'm saving so much time now (and money). It's
unbelievable. And English is not my first language.

The great thing about all the speed reading techniques is that you don't
have to practice them - as the authors rightly put: you just need to put
them into practice! They make it all so easy and it is. The techniques are
so well explained and you gain immediate confidence as you become a speed
reader.

Highly recommended! It's my best investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed reading's great - even for good readers, 13 Oct 2011
I considered myself a good reader before looking at this book, but I was fascinated by the things I hadn't thought about in relation to reading, and I also managed to pick up all sorts of hints that I can use. So yes, I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accelerate your learning, 2 May 2013
Flux (London, UK) - See all my reviews
it's very easy to be skeptical and negative - dismissing everything that doesn't slot in with our experiences, paradigms and the 'norm' and label it as quackery.

however I personally believe we create, filter and live the reality we choose.
Life, books, learning have the meaning we choose to attach to it and contain the essence we squeeze and can soak up from it
- i feel our perceptions are based on and sculptured by our beliefs, conditioning, upbringing, environment, culture, (genes?) etc.

personally i suspend my dis-belief when i read information that may be out of the ordinary, then i test out the hypotheses,
if it rings true and resonates with my gut i go with it and don't look back.

it's easy to get negative, 'over-realistic', over 'anal-ysing' but then life can bring some of us down.

I may not agree with everything I read but sometimes one or two lines or useful techniques are worth more than tenfold the price of a book...

I agree quick fixes and short cut's don't always work but when work / home life is hectic and there is little time for reading or doing other things we enjoy then in my humble opinion some techniques, and tips are definitely worth a shot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - I've doubled my reading speed, 24 Jun 2011
I've doubled my reading speed after just reading a few tips. I love it. What a time saver. Highly recommended. It changed my paradigm regarding reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spd Rdng, Spd Lrnng!, 5 Aug 2011
Penny de la Plain (Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa) - See all my reviews
Really easy to learn speed reading. Well explained. Lots of interesting stuff. All relevant.
I can read quicker, remember more, get straight to what I need.
It does what it says on the tin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›