on 28 May 2013
Not only is it a brand new book ie the suggested routes and the information on them will be very up to date, but it is also an improvement on its predessor book Cycling in Southern France in that the routes have a lot of text describing them rather than relying on simply following a highlighted route on a map. It is a much bigger book too offering a much wider choice of alternative routes to explore. I am looking forard to using it in 2014.
on 14 April 2013
I have been using guides to cycling in France for years, but haven't biked more than a few hundred miles in my second favourite country. I've driven to the moon and back in distance terms whilst doing serious 'research' (i.e. drinking and eating a lot) for books about France, know the genre... and this is up there with the best. The reason I use bike books so much is because their authors usually see much more of the places they travel through and to, and give me info I can use (i.e. steal) that I might otherwise miss. This book is a prime example of the value of really detailed and at the same time entertaining travel guides. A tiny example: I lived near the superb Breton town of Morlaix for three years and visited it hundreds of times but only found out about the ville's bike hire facilities from Cycling Northern France. I also learned new things about Normandy from this book, although I lived in and wrote about that delightful region for many years. Another thing that any touring cyclist (or motorist) will tell you about guides is the vital nature of design and durability and layout. Some guides fall to bits before a journey is completed; some are as hard to navigate as getting past a French farmer on a tractor immediately after lunch. This book is one of those rare objects in book form which is as pleasurable to handle and use as it is to look at. It is also crammed full of big and small info. Well done, chaps, and I can't wait to make full use of it during my French leave this summer.
on 8 April 2013
A brilliant guide book for cyclists. Has Michelin maps and great images of places to cycle to in Northern France. Very comprehensive. Also comes with a great waterproof map.
on 8 January 2014
This is an excellent guide. Useful maps and information. In addition to the selected routes, there is also very useful information on the various cycling trails in each region. I commend the author on the research done for this book. It really does set the standard for what cycling guides should be. I only wish I had the time and money to spend more time in France to explore the various routes that this guide has inspired me to ride. A recommended guide for anyone who takes their bike to Northern France.
on 18 June 2013
I recently purchased this book as I intend travelling to France next year and was amazed at how informative the writer has been. Not only are there maps but accommodation details and the cycling safety aspects are well covered.
I would definitely recommend this book for potential cyclists.
on 21 October 2013
Linear maps very useful as are very clear route descriptions. Good price. Having a lot of fun planning my 2014 rides.
on 26 August 2013
Well worth a look if you are thinking of doing this at all. Great book. Well presented and well put together.
on 9 April 2014
Good pre-planned tours, good guide.

Unfortunately the map is not great on the go, the route to take is too obscured by the highlighter to be able to interpret at speed in a handle bar map carrier could be improved if one A4 page per day.
Links to online gps routes with daily maps you can print off yourself would make it perfect.

That said good value for money.
on 19 July 2015
Not a bad book to give overview of the routes available in Northern France. However, definitely not a book to take with you in order to find your way around.
If you are cycling Northern France, head for Avenue Verte to get you 30 or so miles in and take it from there.
on 6 January 2016
bit disappointed in this guide. I am a keen cyclist and cycle in france every year but I found this guide difficult to use, quite confusing in fact.