5.0 out of 5 stars Got us cycling!!
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by JR Parsons

2.0 out of 5 stars Better as a concept than as the finished map
Published on 6 Jun 2010 by Jaysview

2.0 out of 5 stars Better as a concept than as the finished map, 6 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Ultimate UK Cycle Route Planner - Map: 16, 500 Plus Miles of Signed Leisure Routes (Map)
I was really interested in this and ordered it before seeing a copy in real life. I must admit I am disappointed as the ONLY roads marked on it are the suggested 'cycle suitable' routes. These are very few in comparision to the national network of normal roads and lanes. This is problematic as if you need to cut across country, go to an area or village not on a 'designated route' or if you need to change or connect routes from one recommended route to another. Any of these issues makes this map pretty useless, as no alternative roads are marked in, none of the general road network or country lanes. This is a crippling impractical feature, about as much use as a car atlas would be if it showed only motorways and no other routes at all.

I tried using this map in conjunction with a standard Ordnance Survey map, but the scales are different and the lack of info makes it quite hard to match in the 'cycle routes' with the general road network on a 2nd map, plus of course, you now have 2 maps to handle.

On the whole, I think its a great idea, but could have been executed in a way more aligned with real life route issues, instead of somewhat idealised cycle routes that have such hugely limited destination and route options.

I hope they re-think some of this and do a 2nd edition with the national road network included, and a load of towns and villages being included.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful, 6 July 2009
I'd been waiting and wanting something like this for ages and it is useful for the first stages of planning a bike tour. It's nicely produced and the information is easily accessed. It's a double-sided map but the UK is so big that there are limits to the information that can be given, for example at least one major cycle-way that I know in my area isn't shown. But I have learned from this map of other cycle-ways elsewhere that I'll be trying out. I'm glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too little detail, 29 Nov 2011
Basically this is a large scale map of the UK with nowhere near enough detail to plan a decent ride anywhere. You'd be better off buying the good mountain biking guide or one of Nick Cotton's books specific to the area you intend to visit. Kevin

1.0 out of 5 stars not useful, 29 Aug 2011
I thought that this map was too high level and therefore of little use to me. I am looking for something which enables detailed cycle rides to be planned in unfamiliar places and this document did not enable that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere..., 28 Jan 2011
...if you want to know where to cycle. The scale on this map is far too big to show any detail at all. In fact it is just about useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got us cycling!!, 7 Dec 2011
JR Parsons - See all my reviews
I bought this as a stocking filler for my husband last year and since have got two more for other mums. We wanted to start cycling as a family and this is great to show us what there is in an area we are visiting. Yes, you do then need to look at the web or an OS map to get the detail you need (especially if you have young children to feed and water en route) but it certainly opened the way to some wonderful days with our kids, nephews and nieces this year out in the fresh air.

1.0 out of 5 stars UK cycle route planner, 7 Mar 2011
I found that the map had too much information on it for the size of the map making it very difficult to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars cycle route planner, 10 Aug 2010
Very good mapping of cycle routes it has helped a lot as i am just beggining to explore new routes. Easy to take with you on road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Key document, 3 July 2009
C. W. Beaton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
The Ultimate UK Cycle Route Planner - Map: 16, 500 Plus Miles of Signed Leisure Routes by Richard Peace. This map has become a key document in my stage-by-stage journey by bicycle round the coast of Britain. Charlie, Bristol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good map, 22 April 2010
Mr. Godfrey Hardwick (England) - See all my reviews
Very useful for planning a trip in conjunction with more detailed local maps. very speedy service from Amazon

Used & New from: 277.36