VINE VOICEon 12 March 2008
With a storyteller in yellow and green who sets us off on a well-paced tale, this story is rich in description and has enough depth for the 3-7 age group rather than being too heavily trimmed down: there are a couple of paragraphs per page, so six or eight decent length sentences.
As well as covering everything you'd expect in the well-known version, there are touches of additional interest and intrigue, particularly in the pictures, which my children comment on over and over again: wacky hats, minibeasts underground as the beans grow, assorted keys, and rows and rows of bulging sacks.
I grew up on "I smell the blood of an Englishman" and I'm always disappointed by the different giant wordings in newer versions. In this book he calls Fee Fo Fi Fum, I smell the blood of a stinky man - I leave you to make your own judgement on this.
Sharkey's stylized funky illustrations are tailored to the traditional through the use of a muted colour palette, greens, browns and creams with orange and purple, teamed with a rich forest-teal, harking back to an era gone by. I love the changing facial expressions of the golden goose and harp.
The giant is a big cumbersome creature with a jutting lower jaw and an impossibly dim-witted expression.He chases Jack to the top of the beanstalk and, with a smidgeon of twist, Jack cleverly catapults him from the beanstalk into space (complete with bean-shaped planets) with a BOINNNNGGGGG....... which my boys think is hysterical.
All in all, a brilliant contemporary take on this classic tale.
on 27 November 2000
I do not mind when my son wants this book read time and time again! The pictures are full of colour, vibrant and fun. Jack looks cheeky and trendy! The story is told with a sense of humour too. A family favourite - our 3 year-old loves it.
on 12 March 2010
My class of over 21 Year one boys loved the quirky and unusual illustrations in this retelling. We listened to the CD version first, and then they drew their own illustrations of characters and events. They were delighted with the actual ones and compared them to their own and their peers. They roared at the giant's I smell the blood of a stinky man and the belching went down a treat! Full of lovely and amusing touches, for adults and children alike.
on 4 June 2011
Love this book! I bought this book as a teacher for my class to link with our topic of 'Let's Grow'. The children loved it and really got into the characters. the illustrations are lovely and the story has a modern twist to it....brilliant!
on 20 June 2012
When my son came home from nursery talking about magic beans, a boy called Jack and showing me how you climb a beanstalk I knew I had to buy him Jack and The Beanstalk. When I read it to him he was captivated and quite honestly, it's quite entertaining for the parent to read as it's written in a comical way and the illustrations are very good also.
on 9 May 2012
An up to date twist on an old classic. My four year old grandson found it amusing but missed the extra trips up the beanstalk and all the extra Fee Fi Fo Fumming that that entails. It shortenedd the story too musch for us. We enjoyed the CD very much, good sound effects.
on 2 November 2012
This has instantly become my 4 year old's favourite book. He had a thing about Jack and the Beanstalk but it was one of the few that we didn't have and I opted for this one because the illustrations looked so inviting. They are simplistic but not overly so with enough to engage. There are a few variations from the original story which have caused a bit of discussion - namely how many times Jack goes back up the beanstalk but it actually makes it more fun. It is fun to read (important for us parents) and much enjoyed by the listener.
on 19 November 2013
Got this for a Year 2 class for a bit of a change from the normal pictures etc. Good buy - the children love it and enjoyed listening to the CD as well - bonus!
on 25 March 2013
The illustrations are nice and the storie it' s very well read, there is a nice rythm in it .
on 2 February 2015
Good price, but book not attached to the cover!