5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for anyone planning to emigrate!
Published on 22 Feb. 2003 by C. M. Perkins

1.0 out of 5 stars This is so outdated.
This was written in 1997, thats over a decade ago. Yes, it has been done again here with a new edition, but the visa details are just wrong.
Over the other details are very good, how to drive etc.
Published on 31 Oct. 2007 by William Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for anyone planning to emigrate!, 22 Feb. 2003
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
My wife and I moved out to San Diego in 1999. It wasn't a company move, we were on our own with enough money to last three months. I happened to find this book a few months before we left and I'm glad I did. I'd already spent quite a bit of time in the States, including living there for three months over a summer vacation from university. Even that extended stay didn't prepare me for the planning and budgeting I discovered was necessary to move out there 'properly'.
This book will take you through everything from job-seeking before you go, visa applications, what to do on arrival, right through to applying for citizenship. It covers all the major stuff, like buying a home, getting a US driving license, arranging schooling for children, etc right through to detail like arranging telephone service, tipping and social customs. There's even a section on illegal working - if you're thinking about risking it.
There's an entertaining section on 'The Americans', although a better way to prepare for the absurdity of some aspects of American life is to read Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Big Country' - it's fantastic.
As a 'grown up' who moved out to the States and moved back having THOROUGHLY enjoyed the whole experience, the most valuable sections of this book for me were: the US tax system, insurance and credit.
My top tips: arrange adequate holiday medical cover in the beginning and then get proper US medical insurance as soon as you get an address; get every other kind of insurance cover you need - and that means allowing a big chunk of your budget to cover it from day 1; and plan on your UK credit reports being worthless in the US. As soon as you get there, get a credit card, even if it's a $250 limit with an APR of 29%, and use it and make the payments. It's amazing how quickly a good US credit history will make life easier.
The book includes lots of useful addresses and futher reading and is written in a practical, easy to follow manner. If you think you can just 'sort things out when you get there', read this book and think again. We ran into problems and we thought we were thoroughly prepared (like an apartment complex refusing to allow us to sign, even though we could have paid six months, cash, in advance, because we had no credit history). Things would have been unthinkably worse if I hadn't known some of the stuff contained in this book.
Read this book and ENJOY your move to the States.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible for expats, 21 May 2004
By A Customer
This book is a must for anyone considering a move to the United States. It contains everything you need to know before you leave - e.g passports, visas, info on what to take & leave behind, and has vital info for when you arrive - immigration, work permits, buying/ renting a home, a car, insurance, health system, post offices etc & is incredibly useful while you are there. We have lived in the US for 12 months now, and still refer to this guide when we need some information on anything.
Written in a humourous, chatty style this book very readable. The sections on social ettiquette, customs and traditions are great and there are lots of contact details for further information - the book is just fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living & Working in America: David Hampshire, 24 July 2003
A fantastic book, absolutely everything you need to know before and after emigrating to America. This book is such easy reading to! The author obviously has a good sense of humour but a good balance of seriousness. A well laid out, interesting and informative book.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is so outdated., 31 Oct. 2007
William Butler "BILL" (CO. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living and Working in America (Living & Working in America) (Paperback)
Over the other details are very good, how to drive etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not entirely accurate, 2 Feb. 2011
I enjoy reading guidebooks such as this one about other cultures; and, as an American, was curious as to what would be included in a guidebook about my own country.
When dealing with the cold facts - time zones, taxes, insurance, traffic laws, etc., the author does a fairly good job. On the lousy vacation time and public transportation system - he's right, and I apologize! What the author doesn't seem to understand about the lack of vacation time is that most of us see it as a necessary evil and would love to see it changed. The author seems to be under the impression that we enjoy working these long hours.
I did have a problem at times with the authors personal opinions. In a private conversation, I would not have minded much (I even agreed on a few of them) but I did not feel some of them were entirely appropriate in a guidebook, which should be more unbiased. Other times, I did disagree with him. Please be advised, even though the author says that there is no steryotypical American, some of the "facts" he gives about us really are only steryotypes. There are plenty of us whose lives do not revolve around money, shopping, and eating; and who are very much aware of what is happening outside our borders.
Also, be warned, at times when giving cultural inforation, the author is not accurate. For example, he states that it is common for men to kiss female friends on the cheek. It's not. Ironically, this was one of the foreign customs I was told to be prepared for before visiting Europe. Try it here, and you will make some people very uncomfortable. He also says that Americans will not hesitate to ask questions like how much do you make, why aren't you married, why don't you have children. DO NOT do that! Questions like that are considered VERY rude.
On the subject of rudeness, in the chapter on shopping, it is stated that "American shoppers usually dispense with the niceties; 'I'll take" or "Gimme' suffices, with no please or thank-you." Again, if you do this, you will be seen as a rude person. It was also stated that the customer is always right. This part is true, which means if you are unpleasant to the employees, your actions will be tolorated without complaint. (I wonder if this is where he got the idea that this is acceptable behaviour.) However, if you are interested in being seen as a polite person, and would rather the store employees not give you dirty looks after you turn to leave, I'd recommend keeping the niceties. Also note, while the unpleasant customers still get adequate service, employees often give their best service to the polite customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be re-named "The U.S.A Bible", 18 Nov. 2004
H. Davies "Lottiebox" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
After reading all the hype about this book i was excited to read, and pleased to admit i agree with all it's fantastic reviews! Have bought several guides on the subject but are rather sketchy and a tad patronising. This book covers everything from getting a visa to choosing a school.. An absolute MUST HAVE for anyone even thinking about moving to America.
Looking forward to putting the theory in to practice!

1.0 out of 5 stars Published Jan 2002 written prior to 9/11 OUTDATED, 1 Feb. 2008
It was a good resource. Hampshire has written some great books. However this is outdated and has many errors. It does contain some basic insights to living in the US, but lacks any substance on visa application. Lets face it, without that, You aint going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good Info., 24 Jan. 2008
It has some good information, it just covers a few basic visa, this is the most important part.
It does do a very good job on driving and shopping. OK for tourists.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes its outdated, 21 Jan. 2008
I love hampshires books, they are full of facts, but this is so outdated, the latest edition has nothing new on visa's and they have changed alot since the first edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than other books on this topic, 18 April 2007
This book is seemingly bang up-to-date full of pertinent information for any Brit (or European for that matter) moving to the States. Chapters include Working Conditions, Visas, Accommodation, Motoring, Finance, Health, Insurance and Leisure amongst others. Compared to other books I've seen on this topic this is currently the best.

Living and Working in America (Living & Working in America)
Living and Working in America (Living & Working in America) by David Hampshire (Paperback - 28 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01