5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide
I purchased this guide (and others) to get an insight into working and living in the Gulf as a precursor to moving out to Bahrain. I found it well written, informative, concise and very humourous too.

Anyone who is thinking of living or working in the Gulf should buy this as it really is a mine of practical information.
Published on 2 Sept. 2006 by Colin Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed: outdated
Published on 24 April 2011 by Simon Fourie

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide, 2 Sept. 2006
Colin Jones (Abingdon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living and Working in the Gulf States & Saudi Arabia (Living & Working in the Gulf States & Saudi Arabia: A Survival Handbook) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed: outdated, 24 April 2011
I took up a position in Riyadh 3 weeks ago. I purchased this guide to prepare me with what I could expect. Having read the book I had certain perceptions. What i have experienced is totally different....Riyadh and saudi is definitely much more international as what the book tries to tell...the people here are well aware of what is happening in the rest of the world, and very accomodating in accepting expats into the society.

I feel the book needs updating!! I am plasantly surprised with my first experiences!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the average reader. Details mostly outdated, 14 May 2008
K. Khan (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is a good attempt at trying to summarise everything (even literally down to the stereotypes!) which can easily go wrong if you include dates and details. As with most things ME, moving goalposts and impulsive decisions are the name of the game. I think the authors are fair and knowledgeable about the region but as a Muslim I think I would like to see more books written from a specifically Saudi/Islamic context as that gives the reader a more accurate perception. I'd say if you really want to know about Saudi, ask someone who's lived there for over 15 years during a planned visit there. PS: this rating is simply based on my reading of the Saudi material in the book (I skipped the other Gulf bits!).