4.0 out of 5 stars Practical about Swiss life, which itself is not inspiring
I found this book through a recommendation on an expat forum on the web, when the web was pretty under-developed itself. That should have been a sign of the lonely life of foreigners in CH, which being a very (enthusiastic) young person with a big corporate responsibility on my shoulder and dreams of Swiss Alps in my eyes, I ignored. At my peril as I learnt later...
Published on 6 Dec 2003 by S. Yogendra

3.0 out of 5 stars very negative
Published on 20 Feb 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical about Swiss life, which itself is not inspiring, 6 Dec 2003
S. Yogendra "Shefaly" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The book itself is very practical and useful in almost all areas of the rules-driven Swiss life, but even this did not prepare me for a life in an apartment block with instructions in the lift telling 'gentlemen to please sit down after 7 PM'. It took me a year and my husband, who did not live with me in Zurich, a second to figure it out!
I strongly disagree with the critics of Hampshire's commentary on the Swiss. Amongst all Europeans, and I have lived in a few countries, they struck me as the most aloof. Perhaps my gender and my colour had something to do with it as well. They are not much used to seeing women in leadership roles! Fremdenpolizei prevents (trailing) spouses from doing any work at all, incl charity, driving many of them in hordes to psychologists for depression-counselling. The book does not prepare you for it at all.
All this said, if you are a speaker of German and French, prepared to immerse yourself in your work, willing to take solitary treks into the mountains and keen on eating roesti (my fav roesti bar in Zurich HB closed down sadly!) and are willing to wait all year for the beautiful Xmas markets, CH is for you! One caution: don't take your spouse along, but don't forget this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars very negative, 20 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This is a useful book but extremely negative. It almost put me off moving to Switzerland. It is incredibly nasty about the Swiss, and takes a very aloof ex-pat line. Some details are wrong too - it has not been necessary to get your proof of work permit document stamped on entry for some time. It *is* useful though and recommended for that reason, but the "humour" and the general attitude are just embarassing and at times very, very depressing. Also, it makes almost zero reference to the Italian speaking regions, which although smaller than the German & French, and non-trivial. He's right about the tailgating though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal guide, 31 July 1999
By A Customer
I'm most impressed. I'm just about to go to live and work in Switzerland. Since it is a regulated country, it is very helpful to have one source of information about what you need to do in order to get on. This book provides that information. It came top of the list of books to get, as recommended by my future co-workers.
Nick

4.0 out of 5 stars Not essential, but nearly..., 16 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Very useful guide to the vast swathes of red tape you have to plough through on arriving in CH... If you're moving to switzerland then this is about the only guide available and it does what it says on the tin. He's also right about the hospitality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 27 Jun 2003
By A Customer
A very useful book as it has a lot of detail. However, the author seems to have some sort of a problem with the Swiss himself. All parts where he expresses his opinions are very very negatively written and do really not praise the people. This is only his opinion and should not be deemed as correct.

Living and Working in Switzerland
Living and Working in Switzerland by David Hampshire (Paperback - 5 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01