Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 July 2006
I'm with the band is a full on confessional from a fun loving, sexy and intelligent women hellbent on squeezing the most from her youth spent in 60's California. I was surprised by her warmth, by her honesty, but mostly by the fact that she never had a one night stand! Read it and revel - but hide it from your teenage daughters.
on 12 March 2004
I read this book about 10 years ago, I love all the music of the 60's to 70's and have read many rock books. This is one of the best stories I have ever read. She lived in LA as a teenager went to clubs and met many bands, dated alot of the guys like Jimmy Page, Jim Morrison, Noel Redding,etc.. and basicly had lots of fun. This isn't a trashy book, it's a fun rock and roll coming of age story. Pamela writes with a great sense of humor, honesty and venerability. Most of the book was taking from her own dairy. I felt like she was talking right to me, it was so personal.A few tears and Lots and laughs Rock On Pamela!!
on 29 July 2015
Great read if you are interested in the evolution of youth culture and rock music, also fascinating to consider the role of women from the 60s onwards. I think she was a pioneer of sexual liberation so it is ironic that Amazon have chosen to reposition the flower on the cover so that you can't see her bare breast. Consumerism has sent us all backwards since the 70s, whilst simultaneously commodifying the female body.
on 11 August 2006
I love the music, history, fashion and vibe the 60's have cast over society since. As a seventies child i've had to explore the 60's through the recordings and backward gaze of those who were there. Ive explored mainly through music, film and literature, and Pamela Des Barres name is one i often came across. I finally got round to reading this and was surprised to find it such a forthright book on her life and times. A great snaphsot of growing up to be a woman in LA at such a seething time for young people. Famous characters of the era are shown in a light not often portrayed in other books. A little bit salacious but a lot more about the meaning and power of music to move people.
on 4 February 2012
I purchased this book as it was a amazon recommendation, I knew nothing about the book but I really enjoyed it. The book is very funny in places and it really takes you back to the era it was set in
on 28 August 2003
I can't believe this book has been re-released, I hunted for it last year on Ebay and ended up paying nearly £30 to get it sent from America!
Oh well, I wasn't disappointed, Pamela's story is light hearted and fun, not sleazy as you might expect. And even tho she sleeps with many rock stars (quite a few of which anyone in their 20's probably hasn't heard of!), it's not just about sex, she seems to be in love with them all, Pamela actually comes accross as quite innocent compared to some girls around these days!
on 11 July 2009
If you enjoy reading about sex, drugs and rock & roll, then this book will be to your liking. It's what I consider a "guilty pleasure" read - complete brain candy - filling, but with no lasting nourishing value. I occasionally like gossipy books about celebrities, as well as rock stars and this has both of each. I read it some years ago, but from what I remember there is a lot about Mick Jagger, Keith Moon and even more of Jimmy Page of the late 60's and early 70's. Free sex and love with an abundance of backstage high jinks. Des Barres is a saucy piece of baggage who not only exposes, but "brags" of her sexual conquests. I understand she is one of the most famous rock groupies of all time, but that might be on account of her revealing and bestselling book. I had never heard of her before I read her racy memoirs.
on 30 December 2015
I love my music and enjoy the rock and roll stories that come with the bands but found this book a bit of a bore! I found it hard to take to Pamela Des Barres and thus really wasn't interested in her story. Gto's? If you like classic Rock bands you'd be better spending your money on their albums or a book about them not a fan.
on 6 May 2007
If ever a book deserved to be a movie - THIS IS IT.

It is sexier than a library full of Joan Collins novels and funnier than a Little Britain script.

This story of rock `n` roll excess has got big screen blockbuster written all over it.

Both former strippers turned `actors` Julie Johnson and Courtney Love were born to play Pamela Des Barres.

A fantastic read.
on 11 March 2014
really enjoyed this book...i skipped her beginnings to get to the juicy bit..the sixties were such a liberating time and she tells it well. I enjoyed reading about her liasons with Jimmy Page and re-read that bit a few times!! It's an iconic book and i'm glad to have it in my collection