4.0 out of 5 stars Frank and Funny Memoir

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get the Hype
Published on 19 Aug 2008 by Lorna Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank and Funny Memoir, 11 Aug 2006
J. R. Parker "Herne The Book Hunter" (Peterborough, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I love the music, history, fashion and vibe the 60's have cast over society since. As a seventies child i've had to explore the 60's through the recordings and backward gaze of those who were there. Ive explored mainly through music, film and literature, and Pamela Des Barres name is one i often came across. I finally got round to reading this and was surprised to find it such a forthright book on her life and times. A great snaphsot of growing up to be a woman in LA at such a seething time for young people. Famous characters of the era are shown in a light not often portrayed in other books. A little bit salacious but a lot more about the meaning and power of music to move people.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and confessional, 6 July 2006
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I'm with the band is a full on confessional from a fun loving, sexy and intelligent women hellbent on squeezing the most from her youth spent in 60's California. I was surprised by her warmth, by her honesty, but mostly by the fact that she never had a one night stand! Read it and revel - but hide it from your teenage daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm With the Band Rocks!!, 12 Mar 2004
I read this book about 10 years ago, I love all the music of the 60's to 70's and have read many rock books. This is one of the best stories I have ever read. She lived in LA as a teenager went to clubs and met many bands, dated alot of the guys like Jimmy Page, Jim Morrison, Noel Redding,etc.. and basicly had lots of fun. This isn't a trashy book, it's a fun rock and roll coming of age story. Pamela writes with a great sense of humor, honesty and venerability. Most of the book was taking from her own dairy. I felt like she was talking right to me, it was so personal.A few tears and Lots and laughs Rock On Pamela!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I purchased this book as it was a amazon recommendation, I knew nothing about the book but I really enjoyed it. The book is very funny in places and it really takes you back to the era it was set in

4.0 out of 5 stars You Won't be Disappointed, 28 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I can't believe this book has been re-released, I hunted for it last year on Ebay and ended up paying nearly £30 to get it sent from America!
Oh well, I wasn't disappointed, Pamela's story is light hearted and fun, not sleazy as you might expect. And even tho she sleeps with many rock stars (quite a few of which anyone in their 20's probably hasn't heard of!), it's not just about sex, she seems to be in love with them all, Pamela actually comes accross as quite innocent compared to some girls around these days!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ending was worth it!, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I have to confess that I nearly ditched this book and gave it 1 star. I couldn't gel with Pamela at first and her highschool lovelife started annoying me, although I can see it had its place in the book. I just couldn't wait to get into the really interesting stuff, and believe me it took a while.

At times I felt this book was monotanous and like I was plodding on through it (especially all the GTO stuff), nearing completion though I could really feel Pamela maturing and changing and at the very end of the book when she went to see Robert Plant and asked the question at his press conference (do you still have groupies?) this amused me greatly. She was just a normal girl who got lucky and was truly blessed to have lived and loved as she did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insight into life in the 60's, 4 Aug 2007
I bought this book to see a completely different view of life in the 60's, this book is absolutely addictive to the point where i am getting to the end of it and desperately searching for a new fix of what life was like back in the days. Pamela describes her experiences perfectly, truthfully and sometimes emotionally. in some parts through the book i actually felt upset to think that she had the perfect life, but tried to find love. She knew very famous rockstars and lived the dream. Like i say i haven't got to the end yet but i am burning to find out whether she did actually experience true happiness, i highly recommend this, i just wish i could time travel and go back to those days.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get the Hype, 19 Aug 2008
I didn't hate this book but at the same time I was slightly disappointed by it. I don't really see why this is considered such a classic. I have nothing against Pamela Des Barres choosing to have flings with musicians and people who put her down for it need to concentrate on the people in life who are actually damaging society not a young woman choosing to explore her sexuality but aside from the fame of the men she sleeps with her story seems pretty unremarkable to me. The book is fairly well written but nothing special, the sex described is not overdone but not hugely erotic and while Pamela is likable enough she is not hugely interesting and has not led a particularly fascinating or accomplished life. Perhaps people who lived through the sixties find it reminds them of their youth but for me it was only an okay read. There are a few good stories but unless you are dying to know the details of her flings with the likes of Mick Jagger and Keith Moon then I wouldn't strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dishy and fun!, 11 July 2009
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
If you enjoy reading about sex, drugs and rock & roll, then this book will be to your liking. It's what I consider a "guilty pleasure" read - complete brain candy - filling, but with no lasting nourishing value. I occasionally like gossipy books about celebrities, as well as rock stars and this has both of each. I read it some years ago, but from what I remember there is a lot about Mick Jagger, Keith Moon and even more of Jimmy Page of the late 60's and early 70's. Free sex and love with an abundance of backstage high jinks. Des Barres is a saucy piece of baggage who not only exposes, but "brags" of her sexual conquests. I understand she is one of the most famous rock groupies of all time, but that might be on account of her revealing and bestselling book. I had never heard of her before I read her racy memoirs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Be A Movie, 6 May 2007
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
If ever a book deserved to be a movie - THIS IS IT.

It is sexier than a library full of Joan Collins novels and funnier than a Little Britain script.

This story of rock `n` roll excess has got big screen blockbuster written all over it.

Both former strippers turned `actors` Julie Johnson and Courtney Love were born to play Pamela Des Barres.

A fantastic read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie
I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie by Pamela Des Barres (Paperback - 1 Nov 2005)
Used & New from: £9.34