4.0 out of 5 stars Frank and Funny Memoir

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get the Hype
Published on 19 Aug 2008 by Lorna Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank and Funny Memoir, 11 Aug 2006
J. R. Parker "Herne The Book Hunter" (Peterborough, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I love the music, history, fashion and vibe the 60's have cast over society since. As a seventies child i've had to explore the 60's through the recordings and backward gaze of those who were there. Ive explored mainly through music, film and literature, and Pamela Des Barres name is one i often came across. I finally got round to reading this and was surprised to find it such a forthright book on her life and times. A great snaphsot of growing up to be a woman in LA at such a seething time for young people. Famous characters of the era are shown in a light not often portrayed in other books. A little bit salacious but a lot more about the meaning and power of music to move people.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and confessional, 6 July 2006
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I'm with the band is a full on confessional from a fun loving, sexy and intelligent women hellbent on squeezing the most from her youth spent in 60's California. I was surprised by her warmth, by her honesty, but mostly by the fact that she never had a one night stand! Read it and revel - but hide it from your teenage daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm With the Band Rocks!!, 12 Mar 2004
I read this book about 10 years ago, I love all the music of the 60's to 70's and have read many rock books. This is one of the best stories I have ever read. She lived in LA as a teenager went to clubs and met many bands, dated alot of the guys like Jimmy Page, Jim Morrison, Noel Redding,etc.. and basicly had lots of fun. This isn't a trashy book, it's a fun rock and roll coming of age story. Pamela writes with a great sense of humor, honesty and venerability. Most of the book was taking from her own dairy. I felt like she was talking right to me, it was so personal.A few tears and Lots and laughs Rock On Pamela!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I purchased this book as it was a amazon recommendation, I knew nothing about the book but I really enjoyed it. The book is very funny in places and it really takes you back to the era it was set in

4.0 out of 5 stars You Won't be Disappointed, 28 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I can't believe this book has been re-released, I hunted for it last year on Ebay and ended up paying nearly 30 to get it sent from America!
Oh well, I wasn't disappointed, Pamela's story is light hearted and fun, not sleazy as you might expect. And even tho she sleeps with many rock stars (quite a few of which anyone in their 20's probably hasn't heard of!), it's not just about sex, she seems to be in love with them all, Pamela actually comes accross as quite innocent compared to some girls around these days!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ending was worth it!, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
I have to confess that I nearly ditched this book and gave it 1 star. I couldn't gel with Pamela at first and her highschool lovelife started annoying me, although I can see it had its place in the book. I just couldn't wait to get into the really interesting stuff, and believe me it took a while.

At times I felt this book was monotanous and like I was plodding on through it (especially all the GTO stuff), nearing completion though I could really feel Pamela maturing and changing and at the very end of the book when she went to see Robert Plant and asked the question at his press conference (do you still have groupies?) this amused me greatly. She was just a normal girl who got lucky and was truly blessed to have lived and loved as she did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insight into life in the 60's, 4 Aug 2007
I bought this book to see a completely different view of life in the 60's, this book is absolutely addictive to the point where i am getting to the end of it and desperately searching for a new fix of what life was like back in the days. Pamela describes her experiences perfectly, truthfully and sometimes emotionally. in some parts through the book i actually felt upset to think that she had the perfect life, but tried to find love. She knew very famous rockstars and lived the dream. Like i say i haven't got to the end yet but i am burning to find out whether she did actually experience true happiness, i highly recommend this, i just wish i could time travel and go back to those days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Be A Movie, 6 May 2007
This review is from: I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (Paperback)
If ever a book deserved to be a movie - THIS IS IT.

It is sexier than a library full of Joan Collins novels and funnier than a Little Britain script.

This story of rock `n` roll excess has got big screen blockbuster written all over it.

Both former strippers turned `actors` Julie Johnson and Courtney Love were born to play Pamela Des Barres.

A fantastic read.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get the Hype, 19 Aug 2008
I didn't hate this book but at the same time I was slightly disappointed by it. I don't really see why this is considered such a classic. I have nothing against Pamela Des Barres choosing to have flings with musicians and people who put her down for it need to concentrate on the people in life who are actually damaging society not a young woman choosing to explore her sexuality but aside from the fame of the men she sleeps with her story seems pretty unremarkable to me. The book is fairly well written but nothing special, the sex described is not overdone but not hugely erotic and while Pamela is likable enough she is not hugely interesting and has not led a particularly fascinating or accomplished life. Perhaps people who lived through the sixties find it reminds them of their youth but for me it was only an okay read. There are a few good stories but unless you are dying to know the details of her flings with the likes of Mick Jagger and Keith Moon then I wouldn't strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless and hilarious., 30 Mar 2011
I genuinely think this one of the funniest and best-written books I've ever read. She makes me laugh out loud, chattering nineteen to the dozen, scattering an amazing vocabulary, constantly switching personalities; presenting a heartfelt teenage poem and then subverting it with a sly wink. I read much of this book whilst convalescing one Sunday afternoon and felt worn out just by the enthusiasm of her wibbling. Her energy is exhausting, and the fact it's all based on diaries makes it feel like a continuous rollercoaster present. An early highlight is her description of herself as part of a gang of "hysterical squealing piglets" following the Beatles (and Paul McCartney in particular), clambering over walls and through bushes to camp out wherever they were staying; plotting grisly imaginary deaths for Jane Asher. And there's an odd naivety or innocence in her description of the early days of the Doors, Zappa, Hendrix, the Burritos; by the time Led Zep come on the scene it's all starting to get a bit darker. People are getting hurt and lost by the way. At this point hers was an utterly pre-feminist ideal of being a nurturing muse and domestic slave for her various boyfriends; at times this almost seems to work, but at many others you want to shake her, tell her `you're wasting your time on this one, love.'
Curiously, her deranged affair with Keith Moon actually comes across as one of the more equal, symbiotic ones. This edition (the book was first published in the 80s) has an epilogue rounding up what has happened to a lot of the characters since, but this begs as many questions as it answers. She says proudly that she remains friends with all her lovers, yet the end result of lengthy and tortuous affair with Jimmy Page appears to be being best friends with Robert Plant. And her statement that she would never touch a married man is directly contradicted by one or two anecdotes earlier in the book. But her enthusiasm and affection for both music and people is genuinely infectious and she's endlessly entertaining. "Boredom is a cop-out! A terrible excuse for not living every second and drinking God's air (now matter how polluted) into your lungs." Amen, sister.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie
I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie by Pamela Des Barres (Paperback - 1 Nov 2005)
Used & New from: 10.99