Format: PaperbackChange

on 11 December 2003
This new title is listed as 'hard-to-find' on the website, but I urge any one interested in lesbian or gay issues to take the time to seek it out. It is quite unlike any book I have ever read on the topic.
It is a challenging but rewarding read, being a study of the cultural influences obtaining between France and the US in the 1970s, before the HIV/AIDs crisis hit. In particular, it looks at these influences through the medium of translated novels, taking several key American authors including Andrew Holleran, John Rechy and Larry Kramer, as its focus, so there are excerpts and discussion (and pictures) from their novels. If you've read these authors, you'll find the discussion makes you want to revisit the novels.
But this is far more than a simple study of translation - instead, it forces the reader to think of translation as a catalyst that takes in (and reflects) the sorts of intercultural changes and tensions that we take for granted. Particularly interesting in the light of current relations between the US and France! And a must for gay and lesbian readers who remember the zeitgeist of the 1970s.
The author has an engaging personal style, and he doesn't hestitate to use his own experience and personal journeys as part of the book's rich landscape, often in witty and thought-provoking ways. I've got my copy, but I guess it's worth asking Santa if he can track one down for your stocking too!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse