5.0 out of 5 stars A must for small polytunnel owners
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by Berry Kenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but short on some details
I bought this book to find out more about growing under plastic. I've grown fruit and vegetables for decades but I've found the recent very cold, dry springs and wet summers of Cumbria to be challenging. I love the book's emphasis on organic growing and I liked the practical detail on things such as how to build a fleece cloche within a tunnel.
However, the bulk of...
Published 15 months ago by Meg Patents

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for small polytunnel owners, 31 Dec 2010
Berry Kenny (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
A comprehensive guide to growing food plants in a polytunnel, season by season, which also is relevant to greenhouses. Deals with a large range of plants in considerable detail, how deal with pests and diseases and advice, which may seem obvious when read, but is not covered in most gardening books. For example, avoiding the use of chemicals which will build up in the soil in the absence of rainfall etc. to leach them out, and opening the tunnel for a short time on winter mornings to let the cold air out. This book has opened my eyes and I am looking forward to a much more productive 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and informative guide to polytunnel gardening, 12 Mar 2011
Mr. Kevin Ward (Gainsborough, Lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
Some years ago I bought a book "Four Season Harvest" by Eliot Coleman it was good but based mainly on American climate. I thought then there should be a UK based guide. Our climate is so different, though somewhere in the whole of the US it may have a British similarity. This is that book, it is based on all aspects of Polytunnel gardening. It will inspire you to get the most out of the wonderful microclimate that they give us. It also covers the idea of all year produce not just a few Toms & Cues in the summer. It is the guide you will refer to over and over, month by month as you are encouraged to plan and grow for the whole year. Try a few new vegatables and cut down on those dire supermaket vegatables. The varieties breed to be robust enough to survive packaging instead of FLAVOUR. I have had a polytunnel for 9 years and it has envigourated me to make this this best yet. Worth every penny, get growing!

5.0 out of 5 stars must have, 26 Dec 2010
willow (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
A fantastic book for a new poly tunnel owner, clear guidance from erecting and when best to do it ,to growing your first crops, cant wait to get started

5.0 out of 5 stars Amatuer to Expert, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
I'm not a gardener in any shape or form but this book is amazing, its simple terms are great, anybody can grow their own stuff - even me!! Brilliant book would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A GREAT BOOK, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
"EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN" FANTASTIC BOOK, ONLY SET UP A POLYTUNNEL LAST APRIL 2010 AND WANTED TO UTILIZE THE FULL TUNNEL TO ITS BEST ABILITY, BOOK SHOWS YOU WHAT TO PLANT, WHEN TO PLANT. PICTURES ARE COLOURFUL, GREAT INFORMATION GIVEN FOR A FIRST TIME GARDENER LIKE ME. ITS NOW MY "BIBLE" LOOKING FORWARD TO TASTING MY ACHIEVEMENTS.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and informative guide, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
I wanted to see if a polytunnel was likely to be of benefit to me & this book has helped me decide.

It's a really useful guide - as well as all the growing hints it also tells you how to manage the tunnel itself. With this guide you can learn how to make your garden more productive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect follow up, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
I'm looking forward to putting the info to practical use. I already have their other poly-tunnel book, "The Polytunnel Handbook" by Andy McKee and Mark Gatter. The two combined give you all the information you need to get started from building the tunnel to producing the goodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, very helpful!, 27 May 2011
Js Palmer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
Excellent book, bought because I've just got my first polytunnel. Very easy to understand and idiot-proof advice and instructions. Very glad I bought it, and my polytunnel is now not big enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but short on some details, 9 April 2013
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
However, the bulk of the book is about cultivation details for different crops, which is readily available in other books. If you've never planted a potato or sowed carrot seed, should you really be contemplating a polytunnel? I wanted detailed information on ventilation, watering and pollination, and my questions were not properly addressed by this book. Maybe I was supposed to buy The Polytunnel Handbook also?
It's still a useful and very practical book.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-encompassing, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel (Paperback)
Perfect for the novice polytunnel user. Covers most questions you'd think of, and also explains how to cope with winter months.

How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel
How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel by Andy McKee (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
7.66