5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with lots of inspiring ideas
Martin Crawford's book "Creating a Forest Garden" arrived in the post this morning and it is a delight!

First of all it is a beautiful book just to browse through as it has lots of excellent pictures and drawings, but reading it more closely then reveals a wealth of useful information and inspiration.

The concept of forest gardening is not new to me...
Published on 23 April 2010 by Sal

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version
Totally inspiring book content, but the 2 stars relates to the rubbish kindle version... Not impressed at all. Lots of gaps where there seems to be missing text? e.g. "Autumn olive jam" then, blank - is there meant to be a recipe here? Then the plant profiles often don't have titles, so unless other cultivars are referred to within the description you have no idea what...
Published on 15 Jan. 2011 by Studentspender

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with lots of inspiring ideas, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Creating a Forest Garden: Working with nature to grow edible crops (Hardcover)

The concept of forest gardening is not new to me (and I have a few things happening here along those lines) but this book covers everything and more. There are clear sections covering the ideas behind a working forest garden and also details about numerous plants and how they can be grown in a forest garden setting.

Many of the concepts shown in Martin's DVD are expanded upon in the book. I am now hoping to Cleft Graft some plums onto the blackthorn volunteers I have and this book shows clearly how this should be done to achieve success. (Indeed the timing is just right now - in late April).

Martin has created an easily accessible and inspiring book; well worth it's cover price. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for anyone Atempting to create a forest Garden in the UK, 7 July 2010
This Book was published just as we began creating a three acre forest garden. I can attest that the process the book takes one through will be invaluable to any one who is similarly engaged. In contrast to Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier's Two volume Edible Forest Gardens: Design and Practice Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate-climate Permaculture (which in their own way is also an excellent pair of books - which has a US bias), Martins approach boils a potentially complex and overwhelming process down to its essentials without at the same time over simplifying. I'm sure that while we will make many of our own mistakes, this book has saved us a huge amount of trial and error, money, and probably a lot of heart ache and as well. Thanks Martin for your generosity in sharing so much in writing this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forest Gardening, 6 Jun. 2010
Maggie (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very comprehensive book if you are starting, or maintaining a forest garden. It really has all you would wish to know about forest gardening starting from the theory, through design to the plants in question. I have used it so far for checking out suitable plants, so it is really useful to have on the shelf. Apart from that it has really inspirational photos and ideas. A lovely book to dip into, check things out, and find wonderful recipes such as Autumn Olive jam - OK I havn't actually tried that yet but one day I will when my little Elaeagnus umbellata are big enough to give fruit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating A Forest Garden - The Must-Have For Any Serious Gardener, 1 Jun. 2010
David Jones "IGYUAHF" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is, simply put, incredible. It's a must-have for any gardener who is interested in permaculture, and features a number of incredibly well designed chapters that cover a variety of subjects thoroughly. The accompanying diagrams and photographs help to illustrate the subject matter. Although I have a number of gardening books in my library, this one is my favourite. If you're passionate about gardening or permaculture, buy Creating A Forest Garden - you'll gain a lot out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to forest gardening in the UK and beyond, 15 Jan. 2011
Cs Embleton "Craig Embleton" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This is the ideal book to purchase if you want to create a forest garden in the UK, or indeed any temperate climate. The author has written the book after decades of practical experience. I've looked around his forest garden in Devon in the UK and it is jam packed with species that I'd never even heard of, all producing nutrious food. If you follow the advice and instructions in this book you will have a resilient food producing plot that will give you so much more variety than a conventional vegetable garden, and it will be a wildlife haven too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Very impressed, 10 Feb. 2011
This is by far the most inspiring and well written gardening, or for that matter, permaculture book I have come across. I am absolutely delighted with it. It goes into a good amount of detail and has beautiful pictures.

The only criticism I have is that I would have preferred symbols annotating frost hardiness instead of the american zones which takes a bit of getting used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forest Gardening, 19 July 2011
R. L. Bunniss "Rob B" (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent and informative text that presents information on a complex subject in a reasoned format.
I find myself referring to it constantly and can see it contributing to my practice alongside several texts on permaculture.
It is a work that can be used as an aide memoire with the Forest Garden planning process and identifies particular species and their compatability to the differing conditions within a forest garden.
Martin Crawford has an obvious skill and knowledge that is well represented in the book and I would heartily recommend this text to any person interested in the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to forest gardening, 1 Feb. 2011
This book is an excellent introduction to forest gardening. The coverage is just right, giving you everything you need to plan and plant a sustainable, productive forest garden in an accessible way. It is a much easier place to start than the two volume Edible Forest Gardens books - although they are very valuable too. As the other reviewers say the quality of the book is great with wonderful photos. I only wish it had come out before I started planting my small forest garden!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, perfect for giving and studying, 10 Feb. 2015
I gave in to temptation and ordered the new Creating a Forest Garden book by Martin Crawford. I actually really like it, but it's definitely aimed not so much to the permie market but to the UK gardeners market. It's a nice bigish, glossyish book full of colour photos and lovely silky paper, obviously designed with christmas presents in mind, and I'm certain that pretty well *any* keen gardener in Britain would love to own it. And bearing that in mind, I think it's going to be highly effective in promoting the idea of forest gardening within the UK.

The plants listed seem to be chosen mostly for warmer parts of UK and include things that I would never even have considered in Wales but discount things that need really hot summers, so it's not a perfect guide for me now I'm in Portugal even though the winter temperatures here aren't much different to the warmer bits of Britain. The book is very nicely written and presented, nothing too technical and not preachy in any way, just presenting the information you need to design and plant up a nice forest garden and make you feel nice and glowy inside because your new garden style is also 'green'. There were loads of native plants included, to the extent that reading it was a bit like taking a virtual tour back to the UK and I went all nostalgic remembering days spent collecting samples and seed from hedgerows and persuading them to grow in my old garden. I even managed to figure out a few which would also grow here, hopefully, so there's a few seeds on order now.

I find it hard to read anything 'heavy' these days but this book was really easy and I read it cover to cover in one day and then went through all the plants again happily making lists and then hitting ebay for seed supplies.

Is it the definitive book on forest gardening? Well, I could actually afford this one, just, wheras I never managed to scrape the money together for Edible Forest Gardens so I can't compare, but I suspect that it's going to be the definitive guide for the UK, and being a Brit myself, I can see that most Brits would believe that would also make it *the* definitive guide. We are a little insular after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that builds on the work of Robert Hart, 18 May 2010
Contrary to the comments from another reader, this book is definitely focussed on the UK climate. It builds on the work of Robert Hart, the original Cool Temperate forest gardening pioneer, learning from both his successes and failures, and is informed by some 15 years of direct observation, experience and trials in the field. The information is detailed, clear and concise, and laid out with great attention to aeshetic values. In other words its a book that is not only hugely informative and knowledable, its beautiful too! Well done to Mr Crawford and Green books for such a lovely addition to anybodies permaculture library!

Creating a Forest Garden: Working with nature to grow edible crops
Creating a Forest Garden: Working with nature to grow edible crops by Martin Crawford (Hardcover - 16 April 2010)