5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading to survive the future, 1 May 2009
Linda Screen (Dorchester,Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
This book walks you systematically through a range of future scenarios and helps you to think about the kind of future that you want to be part of. Essential reading for anyone in Transition Towns - but also for anone who's interested in the kind of future their children are going to grow up in...excellent balance of details and big picture stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to follow-on from Hopkins' Transition Handbook, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
I had read Rob Hopkins' Transition Handbook, and I asked myself whether I really needed another identical looking book with a similar title. Well the answer is yes. It complements Hopkins' book, moving into new areas. It looks at four visions of the future: from head in the sand/business as usual, to techno-fix, to bleak end of world stuff, and finally to the Transiton vision. It explores how Transition would inform our thinking about energy,food,transport etc. I found the long section on climate change and peak oil, and their interdependence, invaluable;detailed and well referenced.The notes at the end were also very helpful. A very stimulating book .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and vital, 19 Nov 2009
Maria (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
The Transition Timeline is one I thoroughly recommend as it really is a beautifully written book and has something for everyone, combining a philosophical perspective with a realistic look at a frightening predicament. It has harmony in its structure as it flows from one topic to another. As an artist, it left me feeling enthused, inspired and energised about the sort of things we can do in facing future dilemmas, and towards creating my own work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The roadmap to a resilient, sustainable future, 1 May 2009
Jeremy Williams (Luton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
I read the Transition Handbook only a few weeks ago, so I was curious to see how this one differed. Apparently it was written with existing Transition initiatives in mind, particularly those working on `energy descent action plans' (EDAP).

The EDAP is the detailed masterplan for transitioning a community beyond peak oil and is the ultimate goal of any Transition project. It's a big task, and the hardest part is knowing what to include, and in what order?

The Transition Timeline answers these questions from the perspective of 2027, through a series of chapters on transport, energy, food and so on, each written from the future and showing how we got there. It incorporates local actions, cultural change, and international agreements on climate change and peak oil. Chamberlin also offers three alternative non-transition scenarios, ie the ones the government are pursuing at the moment, also viewed from 2027. Those timelines aren't so pretty.

The Transition Timeline answers a number of different and quite specific questions. While that makes it a useful source of inspiration to the Transition movement, it may seem a little unfocused to the uninitiated - along with the main timelines there are chapters that bring climate change and peak oil right up to date, ideas for group exercises, an introduction to systems thinking, and a section on climate change and peak oil in the UK context.

Most importantly though, this is part of the Transition movement's use of `back-casting' - deciding your destination, and then working backwards to see what you need to do to get there. The case for a local, resilient future is presented simply, and the consequences of choosing otherwise are obvious and undesirable:

"Our choice is between the different 2027s we have just considered", is Chamberlin's challenge. "We do, collectively, get to chose which of them come to pass."

5.0 out of 5 stars Next book to read after the Transition Handbook, 28 Dec 2009
Mr. C. E. Croydon (Ipswich UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
For me this book built on what I had learnt from the the Transition Handbook The Transition Handbook: From Oil Dependency to Local Resilience (Transition Guides) providing more details and more up to date information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs to read this, 21 Jun 2010
K. Mellor (Kings Langley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
The general public hear about climate change but not so much about peak oil and the link between the two. This book and Rob Hopkins Transition Manual have shown me that we need to be urgently reviewing how we do everything in light of these challenges and Transition Towns are definitely the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, essential reading, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
This book is full of wisdom. When I first read The Transition Timeline a year ago (I am now enjoying a revisit) it ignited my imagination with visions of possibility, while bringing a startling insight into the reality of exactly where we are. It does this with a unique clarity that you rarely ever find in a book on this subject. In an engaging style the author summarises a wealth of research and analysis on the subjects of climate change and peak oil. We are offered a Transition Vision (alongside three darker scenarios) to light a path for us to a future that is imbued with far more meaning and beauty than the current western 'cultural story' that we are enacting now. A vision of very radical changes, yes. But every one for the better, and achievable. 'An evolutionary leap to sanity', as the author puts it. This book highlights the fact that we have a small window of opportunity to get this right, and that now is the very time to act. With great passion and urgency. Highly recommended reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars There is an alternative, 23 May 2011
This review is from: The Transition Timeline (Paperback)
I listened to Shaun Chamberlin when he spoke at Glastonbury Festival last year and found what he said to be interesting and thought-provoking, so decided to buy a copy of his book.

Whilst it is concerning to realise what the future may hold in the short-term for the UK, it is heartening to find that there are paths we can take to improve our prospects.

As has been said by other reviewers the book is written in a straightforward style and while the subject is complex it is always accessible.

I would recommend The Transition Timeline to anyone interested in climate change and local responsibility.

The Transition Timeline
The Transition Timeline by Shaun Chamberlin (Paperback - 5 Mar 2009)
12.95