4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative
I've often regretted planting so much of certain foods in the past and wondered what to do with them once harvested. But now armed with this fine manual I can go to war against the hordes of veg that try to overpower my little garden !!

Published on 17 Jan 2009 by Foxylock

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers a lot of variety, but rather average in my opinion...
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Ms. H. Tooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 17 Jan 2009
This review is from: How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency (Paperback)

This is the revised and enlarged edition and it happily answers a lot of the questions that I've been too embarrassed to ask. From apples to turnips and everything in between this book reveals the secrets to successful storage and throws in quite a few nice little recipes as well, the mushroom ketchup being my personal favourite. Incidentally there's a recipe here for " spitfire sauce " and I can safely say "ya wont only spit fire ......" Anyway I highly recommend this book to both the seasoned gardener and the enthusiastic amateurs like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide, 19 July 2008
P. Walker - See all my reviews
How did I manage without this book? My colleagues at work regularly share our surplus produce from our gardens and allotments. This book has provided much needed inspiration for us. The plum chutney recipe is a real winner! The second edition is much improved with many more recipes.
I shall not be short of ideas this summer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers a lot of variety, but rather average in my opinion..., 7 Jan 2011
Ms. H. Tooth - See all my reviews
This did not break the bank and has lots of interesting recommended varieties, but has been shelved for occasional reference. I was excited on first look but after reading it cover to cover my enthusiasm dwindled. I'm not keen on the way its laid out...what you want to know is always detailed in another part, and a lot of the recipes are not specific (which as an improvisor used to making chutneys etc I don't mind but drives some of my friends batty). I feel a bit like the recipes are written for people who are already skilled in preserving (no pictures or step by step), but that if you are skilled then the recipes are decidedly unchallenging, and not overly imaginative...plus a lot of the timings are off or not included..(I liked the mushroom ketchup but found a few others i tried fine but nothing special...for example I found much better and simpler way to make quince cheese). Be sure to study in more detail the process of bottling, as I like another reviewer felt that his guide was too simplistic, and it is imortant to get this right...botulism can be fatal!
I live in on a smallholding in central portugal (without a freezer!)and am constantly in need of new ideas to preserve our produce. Some nice ideas here but pales beside the likes of John Seymour and Bob Flowerdew, who on reading their advices you know they have done it a thousand times before year after year, and impart that confidence for you to go forth!

2.0 out of 5 stars no better than your standard recipe book, 9 Sep 2009
There are only 20 pages of methods such as drying, smoking, fermenting, etc. Few descriptions go into enough detail that I would feel confident about trying them. You still need other books which cover the details of these processes. The rest of the book has recipes but a lot of them again fail to be specific enough for you to actually make a particular jam or chutney etc. You're better off with a dedicated preserves cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent suggestions for storage, 16 Jun 2010
C. Smith (Hatfield, Herts.) - See all my reviews
Have managed to read most of the ways to store garden produce suggested in this book. Nothing outside the realms of possibility, very clearly written advice. The suggested recipes for chutney, jam, wine, etc. are easy to follow, although you do have to refer back to the advice in the first half of the book, but once you get the hang of it, it makes sense. I would recommend this for those who are new to home production of fruit and veg, and don't want to throw anything away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sloe and apple jelly, 30 Jan 2011
I made the sloe and apple jelly, which takes quite a bit of time with the collecting, boiling, straining and sterilising. Then there's the cost of the sugar. The problem is that it tastes quite a lot of sloes and if you've ever tried eating one you'll know it's almost inedible. Apparently you're supposed to freeze them before you use them but the book does not say that. Not very impressed. I have 5 big jars of something I can't eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars a helpmate, 28 Aug 2011
As a new allotment holder, I was overwhelmed by the amount of produce I raised. This book is jam packed with ideas and advice as to how to store, cook and preserve. I have used it so much that I think it will fall to pieces soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 Mar 2010
I've found this book absolutely clear & informative for step by step procedures for storing & preserving excess garden produce. It's easy to understand, even for the novice gardener like myself - none of the instructions are too complicated to follow from storing potatoes to wine making.
It covers produce that are commonly grown to today's gardens/allotments however large or small the plot may be.
The recipes are wonderful & are certainly worth a try even if you aren't a gardener.
I would recommend this very clever book to gardeners & cook's alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden produce, 8 May 2011
Really good book. Nice layout. Tells you everything you need to know in easily broken down categories. Part one is methods of storing produce, part two lists lots of produce in alphabetical order, with recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Store Your Garden Produce, 7 Mar 2011
Absolutley a brilliant book, lots of easy to use recipes and the recipe for apple sauce is just divine. Great book, great price, well worth a purchase.

How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency
How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency by Piers Warren (Paperback - 27 Mar 2008)
7.29