on 13 February 2009
A brilliant book. Lots of great ideas here which are varied and applicable to lots of different subject areas. Worth every penny!

Poems for the Geography Classroom
on 4 February 2015
Ordering a new copy of this book today.

It is invaluable! I was massively fortunate enough to experience an INSET day at my school with Paul Ginnis, and it was thoroughly enjoyable, and the effects of trying out some of his ideas are having a massive impact in my classroom and across the school.

It is a very surreal experience to be laughing and joking with a stranger who imparts so much knowledge and excitement for learning to you, and then to hear he has sadly passed away only a few days later. Truly amazing book by an inspirational man.
on 1 November 2009
My PGCE mentor recommended this, there are loads of good ideas inside. Had a quick browse & looks really good. Also plenty of recommendations on the TES website.
on 21 September 2007
It is a good book, but you need to watch the sections on learning styles. Read the LSDA reports before you base your ideas around any of the contentious stuff.
on 17 March 2011
If you are a teacher or trainee teacher of any subject, this book is a must. It does what it says on the cover. It is a toolkit for teachers to raise children's achievements by giving loads of practical ideas for making teaching and learning really dynamic, creative and fun. It is clearly written with theory and practice very well balanced. I found it quite inspirational and wish only that I had read it before. Worth every penny. Thank you Paul Ginnis
on 24 August 2015
I never feel compelled to write reviews but this book has helped reinvigorate my classroom practice. This books moves away from teacher led, adult talk heavy strategies to those that empower children as researchers, collaborators, instructors, coaches and experts. The games and activities can be used in any subject at any key stage and best of all they are fun. Worth every penny!
on 11 October 2012
Trainee teachers need this in their life, especially when it comes to the dreaded observations and your mentor is asking for an all singing, all dancing lesson and your mind is drawing a blank! Each lesson idea also gives hints and tips about how it can be adapted for certain subjects, and there are also good sections designed around behaviour management too.
on 14 February 2015
Not revolutionary for me, but reassuring and some refreshed resources. Worth purchasing. Especially if the league tables are driving the head and SLT. This will help justify being creative to raise standards. Mind you if you aren't good with differentiation, it is a focus you need to read wider than this book to be a better teacher.
on 20 April 2014
My mentor told me to buy this during my NQT year and I have found it really useful. It's laid out well with lots of different teaching ideas which you can just dip into and pick one. Good for lesson observations or when you're running out of ideas. I'm still using it now and recommending to my new teachers in my department.
on 4 August 2013
I have taught for a few years - sometimes (I am ashamed to say) I forget about the student experience in the need to get the subject taught.. this book has given me some excellent inspiration to put the students first, but also some really good strategies to help me do just that. Well worth it.