5.0 out of 5 stars Self-help by a NLP guru
Published on 4 May 2009 by ejet

3.0 out of 5 stars The Magic of Metaphor
This is a good book but the stories are perhaps a little too transparent. I prefer it if the outcome is not so obvious when you're telling the story - they are more memorable then. There are certainly some good points made in them and I have enjoyed reading them but I'm not sure I will use many of them myself because of the transparency problem.
Published on 15 July 2010 by Jenny - Healer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-help by a NLP guru, 4 May 2009
This review is from: The Magic of Metaphor: 77 Stories for Teachers, Trainers and Thinkers (Paperback)
The blurb on the cover states that the book "is an inspirational sourcebook for counsellors, health workers, psychologists, professional speakers, managers, leaders and NLP practitioners, as well as for teachers, trainers and therapists". Well I am none of those professions but as a layman I found the stories interesting on their own account, and as the blurb continues they "can be adapted and developed" to suit whatever purpose the reader desires of them. I can recommend this book just for the short stories alone regardless of the metaphors they are supposed to convey.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real stimulus to tell stories, 26 Jun 2001
This book gave me the courage, and the resources, to tell a story to a group I was training. They loved it and so did I. I've told stories to children, of course, but thought that adults were too grown up for them. I had forgotten that inside every adult is a child who loves stories but is rarely told one.

5.0 out of 5 stars 77 Stories for all ., 7 Jan 2005
Why should Teachers, Trainers and Thinkers have all the fun?
I purchased this book having attended and been stimulated by one of the author's "Communicating with Influence" courses.
The course very quickly swept away my preconceptions and the book did likewise. Instead of studiously wiling away the daily commute for a couple of days I actually found myself spending a significant majority of the time reflecting on the stories, their meanings for me and their subsequent uses.
Those lucky enough to have experienced (a carefully chosen word) Nick's storytelling first hand will find the collection particularly evocative whilst for new readers a rich multisensory experience awaits.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magic of Metaphor : 77 Stories for Teachers, Trainers, 16 April 2003
Miss Kathleen Ginn (London, N/A England) - See all my reviews
This book had a lovely twist in that it is a story in itself, and that the metaphorical stories are woven into the story. All of us seek a teacher who will inspire us and encourage us to fulfil our potential, so using the teacher/pupil to do the speaking throughout the book and leading into the metaphorical stories is very clever.
I found the stories very easy to follow, and some exceptionally humorous, which immediately raised my own spirits. I have already begun to share some of the stories found within this book on my seminars and seen others ‘get the insight’ or have their spirits raised too.
One of the strengths of this book is that it contains short anecdotal stories as well as the more long winded versions. Thereby catering for different lengths of presentations. The sub-sections are useful in that cover different aspects of leadership which is paramount to the world of self-actualisation.
Again, my personal recommendation would be that this is a book sold in audio format alongside the book, so that the reader is listening to the audio and reading at the same time. This would make a big impact in the learning of the principles that is integral to each story.
The author has also done well to recommend different ways of using the stories within different situations, which enables trainers, teachers and therapists to understand how they can adapt the stories to suit their clients needs. I also like the fact that the author understands that importance of acknowledging sources where possible. Very often people forget to acknowledge their sources and as a result many people believe that the information being shared has only just been discovered, where in fact it has existed for millennia, and the magic is when each of us is able to bring that higher truth interpretation to the ears and hearts of others that inspires, touches and motivates them to take up a call to action.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful storey for every situation.., 13 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I use the stories in this book as introductions to training sessions, refelections on the day and as a way of preparing myself for meetings. The stories are rich, varied in length and all have profound messages which can be adapted for many uses. A fantastic resource for any trainer, manager, parent or teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A companion for those who want to inspire and transform., 5 Aug 2001
By A Customer
As an experienced independant trainer I have been sceptical about the benefit of books like these. The great thing about this book is the way I could actually visulize the author helping me to become a great story teller and therefore use the stories in my training/delivery events. This book has added a huge richness to what I do and given me a positive energy and will to try the stories in many different contexts. without exception, my delegates have found meaning in the stories I've used from this book and many of them have found meanings I would not have expected. The author has thought of many of the issues a novice to story telling might be concerned with and uses accessible language to help you. This book is exciting, fun and its contents will help me become even more indispensable to my clients.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Magic of Metaphor, 15 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars a great resource for trainers all who seek to influence, 22 Jun 2001
I love this book, both in terms of its content and the style in which it is written. The variety in the stories provides a huge source of material for anyone who seeks to influence or entertain others through story telling. I found the spiritual depth of many of the stories very thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic of Metaphor is a useful book for teachers of English, 14 Sep 2001
By A Customer
1. Book review by Jim Wingate - The Magic of Metaphor: 77 stories for Teachers, Trainers and Thinkers by Nick Owen.
This is a very useful book for teachers of English. You can use it privately as an entertaining read for your own self-development. You can publicly apply the wisdom and challenges of the stories in your teaching. You can publicly tell the stories as they are (or read them aloud or adapt or translate them) as rich, deep, stimulus material for your learners. And you can give the stories as text for your learners' self-development and their responses in groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars took this book to convince me of the value of storytelling, 19 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I have always loved to tell stories to my children when they were little and when they finally grew older it was this special ritual of story time that I missed a lot. Now I know that story time is not over for me at all. It took Nick Owen's book to convince me of the value and benefits of stories not only for my own inspiration but as a wonderful resource in my field as a teacher and trainer. Although familiar with some of the stories, I was surprised about the new insights I gained through having them presented in this way. More than that, this book has given me the courage to believe that I can be just as good a story teller to adults and furthermore it supplies sufficient tips of how to go about it. They do work, as I found out to my great relief when I first tried them out in a training. Now I am pondering about the question if my almost adult kids might be as responsive as well!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›