5.0 out of 5 stars A smashing book for fans of ALL football clubs, 24 Oct 2008
Mr. Peter J. Paterson (Lake District England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tie Me to the Mast: The Football Season Has Begun (Paperback)
What a great book this is. As a Stoke City fan I bought it to help me to re-live a season in which we got promoted to the Premier League, but to fans of ALL football clubs this book would be a welcome addition to their bookshelf. As David says, the whole football experience is as much about the great world wide family of fans as it is about the players or the owners of clubs. David succeeds in lifting the lid on the passion, tension and divided loyalties experienced by any follower of a football club. I had to keep on reminding myself that this was his first book - so well does he capture the mood swings, the highs and lows and the downright idiocy of being a fan. And his wry observations on fatherhood, friendship and family life suggest that, if he wants to write it, there is another great book in there itching to get out if he can persuade Alison that it can help pay for more kitchen equipment! Well done David on giving me my most enjoyable read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great read, 16 Sep 2008
A. J. Lowe - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book. It's funny and intelligent and it captures the drama of last season perfectly. As a Stoke fan it was brilliant to re-live such a historic season and this book means we'll always have a souvenir, no matter what happens in the Premier League. I agree with Stevo from Glasgow - the parts away from the games are hilarious and sometimes quite moving. It's not a dull list of stats and game reports, thank god, it's a book that will appeal to all Stokies, to all football fans, and to anyone who just wants a laugh. I saw a review in the Telegraph and they were raving about it as well, saying it deserved to travel far beyond the Potteries - couldn't agree more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 16 Sep 2008
A superb read that I couldn't put down.

Wonderfully observed and very funny indeed.

Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best football fan books I've read, 30 Nov 2009
S. Mifflin (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
I guess as a Stoke fan myself I am biased on the subject of football fan books. However, regardless of my affiliation I can highly recommend this book as an easy to read, amusing and passionate insight that will appeal to fans of any club. The fact it captures the season that Stoke got promoted to The Premier League for the first time means it is also has lasting appeal, as it is one of the few books written that covers the historic 07/08 season. Needless to say it is a book every Stoke fan will love. The fact David is a locally based Stoke fan coupled with his proven writing ability as a seasoned journalist means the end product delivers superbly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 23 Sep 2008
I really enjoyed this book. Couldn't put it down once I'd started. It's very funny and also very moving in parts. The agonies and comedies of following the fortunes of a football club will be recognised by all football fans and the stories from the author's personal life are equally as good. I agree with others that this book deserves an audience far wider than the Potteries

A really great read

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must read!, 22 Sep 2008
When i bought this book i thought it was just going to be a recollection of Stoke City's promotion season (which i was really looking forward to), but it turned out to be much more than that! Yes, the season's review is very good, especially the build up over the last few games towards the climax of the season, but this is intertwined with honest and often hilarious anecdotes of the author's personal life (and that of his family and friends)! It really is a great read - don't think you have to be a Stoke fan to enjoy it, it has a much wider appeal (as the review from the Ranger's fan shows) than just the Potteries! Great stuff Mr Johnson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and hilarious read, 16 Sep 2008
Mr. S. P. Robinson "Robo10" (Stoke on Trent) - See all my reviews
Johnsons book is both cringeworthingly close to the knuckle of the ups and downs of domestic life, mixed in with the despair, joy and general stress of following a smaller football club.

Personal dramas, honesty and self assessment (or character assassination) of himself and his life to date, and thats just before the first away game.

His wife must be a saint (although I understand his point about kitchens), but all in all this is a tale of woe, frustration, dishwashers, kitchens, drink and two things that money cant buy - fatherhood and your football team actually achieving something.

I await the sequel detailing Stokes qualification and subsequent venture into the Champions League with interest...

5.0 out of 5 stars Super read, 6 Aug 2013
Very entertaining, not only for Stoke City fans but for anyone with a sense of humour.
Can't wait for the sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great read 4 seasons down the line, 2 Dec 2011
Lisa Carter "Zozozela" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I was passed this book by a friend and read it cover to cover on a Spa day with some non-football fan friends who do not even come from Stoke.

I made them listen to me recite Pottermouth's Battle Cry (ever so slightly misty eyed as I read it), told them about watching the final game of the season against Leicester alone in Portugal having begged a pub to show the match and how I cried over the phone to my dad at how excited I was that we would get at least 1 season playing in the big league. The book totally recaptures the mood of the time beautifully and I think the reference made to other important facets of his life serve to show how being a football fan is a self-descriptor on a par with being a father and a son, for the author, myself and countless other football fans not just of Stoke.

Well written and engaging, I loved it.

Zozozela

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the FAN in FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!!!, 23 Jan 2010
The day I received this book I read it....all 192 pages in 6 hours after my tea!! I just couldnt put it down. I live alone and laughed out loud on numerous occasions. Whilst I knew the ending and had that strange inkling, just like the author, that Stoke would indeed fail and do what stoke always do to us long suffering fans. The book describes perfectly the season that started in such pessimism and rose to a great wave of manic support for OUR team. But this just isnt a football book but a wonderful observation of everyday life through the eyes of a man, his wife and his son. Thank you David Johnson for one of the most satisfying nights of my life!!

ARRAY(0xae9402a0)

Tie Me to the Mast: The Football Season Has Begun
Tie Me to the Mast: The Football Season Has Begun by David Johnson (Paperback - 2 Sep 2008)
6.69