4.0 out of 5 stars A runner's worldview, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Running on Empty (Kindle Edition)
I followed Andy Blackford's regular column in Runner's World magazine for several years.
I had been quite good at cross-country running at school, and sometimes fantasised about trying a marathon, unfit and pathologically lazy as I was, but my exertions were limited to buying the magazine and reading about it.
And actually that was all I needed to do, because Blackford was there to do the running for us.
Not just that, but over the years he seemed to take part in every worthwhile race, wherever it was in the world: however far, however remote. The combination of pain-filled travelogue (Petra, the Sahara, the Himalayas, the Arctic Circle, South America...) with pitiless, self-deprecating analysis of his motives and mental and physical state, meant one could marathon from an armchair, and even better, while laughing.
Indeed the columns were (and are) very funny, and when read in this collection definitely stand the test of time. As it is a collection, you can pick it up, read a chapter and then come back a few weeks later, but you probably won't wait that long.
All in all this is a great book for those who are interested in running, and even - as entertainment - for those who are not. Like honey on the energy bar (or those extra plasters on the heel) we also get the author's musings on the modern world - on city life versus "the country", for example - so each column becomes a mini-essay on some interesting aspect of our crazy modern "civilisation".

It's also ideal for those occasions when we would of course normally be blistering our feet and jarring our knees running to work, but for some unknown reason find ourselves on the bus, on the train, or best of all, in a limousine with a well-stocked drinks cabinet and a bevy of beautiful transvestites - but nothing to read.
Read it on Kindle, it's lighter than a printed book and even less effort to turn the pages...

5.0 out of 5 stars Running On Empty Review, 10 Jun. 2009
Mr. J. S. Hil - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running on Empty (Paperback)
Whether you're a seasoned runner or a complete novice I can guarantee you will chuckle at the musings of Andy Blackford. His writing style brings you right into his runs and races and takes you on the journey of some of the most gruelling endurance races out there. The book is in a rough chronological order of his monthly articles from Runners World magazine. It is split into various sections and is a joy to read, taking me just 2 days to finish.

One of the most endearing aspects of the book is the continuing relationship between Blackford and his editor Seaton. The use of the editors comments in an article has never been put to better use than in AB's columns.

To sum up, this is a great read for any runner of any ability and may even re-ignite the lost spark for running!

5.0 out of 5 stars The antithesis of 'The Complete Book Of Running' by Jim Fixx and 'From Last To First' by Charlie Spedding, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Running on Empty (Paperback)
This book will do nothing for your fitness, motivation or running style, nor will it inspire you to get out of the door on a bleak winter evening.
It is however, probably the funniest book ever written on running, and on breaking into a giggle in the armchair, you are in serious risk of a hernia.

5.0 out of 5 stars RUNNING ON EMPTY, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Running on Empty (Paperback)
SPEAKING AS A NUTTY RUNNER MYSELF i COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WITH ANY INTEREST IN RUNNING VERY WELL WRITTEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Blackford's "Running on Empty", 1 April 2007
B. Dietrich (Norwich, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running on Empty (Paperback)
Andy Blackford is a regular columnist in the "Diver" magazine, and, as I just found out through reading "Running on Empty", also in "Runner's World" magazine. When the editorial in the most recent "Diver" (April 2007) mentioned that Andy Blackford had another book published, I had to get a copy immediately since I immensely enjoy his monthly column in "Diver" and I have read and re-read the two previous, absolutely hilarious, collections of his "Diver" articles ("Blackford's Diving Life and Times" and "Deeper with Blackford") repeatedly.

"Running on Empty" is a collection of Blackford's most humourous columns from "Runner's World". As in his "Diver" columns, Blackford's style is unmistakeable: a thick broth of sarcasm, irony, self-depreciation, and fantasy, with a sprinkle of factuality and enlightened observation just sufficient not to dismiss his writings as those of a raving nincompoop. And that's exactly what makes reading his columns in "Diver" (and "Running on Empty") so alluring! He freely makes light of his own incompetencies in his chosen sports, something that allows us to admit and laugh at our own. (Although I suspect that he's far less incompetent at those sports than he'd like us to believe: I couldn't run a half-marathon even if I had an inclination to do so, not to mention a full one! I'd much rather be in a pub, as does Andy Blackford, by his own, and frequent, admissions) His sarcastic wit and oftentimes unexpectedly tangential gems of humour could make you (at least for the time it takes to read his column) forget that your whole family has just been taken to Guantanamo, Bush has been granted a third term in office, and proper science (not creationist "science") had just found conclusive proof of the existence of god! (Granted, this is very subjective, but these three would make me peruse of the potassium cyanide in my lab)

Being a scuba diver myself and being not at all connected to the world of running (marathon or otherwise), I was eagerly expecting some scuba diving-related story at each turn of page when reading "Running on Empty", at least until it had sunk in (some ten pages in or so) that this book was not about scuba diving, but about running. Nonetheless, this did not detract from the inherent humour and "Blackford-style" that I have grown used to from his column in "Diver" magazine and the two diving-related books mentioned earlier. Fair enough, reading "Running on Empty" will in no way persuade me to take up running or even contemplate running marathons, but that is not the purpose of the book. Having no connection whatsoever with the sport of running, I still thoroughly enjoyed reading "Running on Empty", and finished it in one weekend (having done none of the work I was planning to complete during that time). If you like wit, sarcasm and irony, and especially if you have ever read and enjoyed Andy Blackford's monthly column in "Diver" magazine or the two books mentioned in the first paragraph, I can only recommend "Running on Empty", whether you're into running or not. It WILL make you laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackford Charm, 14 Sept. 2007
Ms. L. Kerrigan (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running on Empty (Paperback)
If you want to see more about Andy Blackford he has a great website [...] - Its a collection of all his many talents - running, diving, childrens books, advertising. Its a very funny read.

Running on Empty
Running on Empty by Andy Blackford (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01