5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!
I've read novels that weren't as engaging as the introduction to Rick Bayless' new book. Informative, educational, and entertaining, this is the first authentic Mexican cookbook I've bought that had me rushing into the kitchen to start cooking.
Published on 27 Oct 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, but...
This is a good cookbook and I'm not here to dote on the author. The only gripes I have with the copy I own are that: there are no pictures (as I own the paperback) and the measurements are in American terms i.e. cups.

Published on 9 April 2008 by Mr. Lee R. Bale

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 27 Oct 1997
By A Customer
I started with one of the 14 essentials -- a divine ancho chili paste that was very easy and quick to prepare. Then, I took one of his recommendations from "Simple Ideas from My American Home." He titled it "Very, Very Good Chili." Not letting my husband know I'd tried a new chili recipe, he took two bites and announced, "This is very good chili." I couldn't resist correcting him: "No, it's very, VERY good chili."

Can't wait to move on to the rest of the recipes! Hope you enjoy this book as much I know I will over the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars From introduction to index, this is one of the best!!, 6 July 1997
By A Customer
It is not often that an introduction written in a cookbook captures your
attention, and most people probably don't even read them yet the one in
Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen really sets the tone of this book. The
publication claims over 150 recipes but with Bayless's 'variations and
improvisations' section after almost every recipe, there are many more
possibilities to choose from.
True Mexican cuisine jumps from each page and each menu item also
contains words from the heart, giving history to each. Recipes include:
Shrimp Seviche with Roasted Cactus, Ripe Plantain Turnovers with Fresh
Cheese Filling, Mexican-Style Sweet Roasted Garlic Soup, Spicy Yucatecan
Beef "Salad" Tacos, Smoky Braised Mexican Pumpkin with Seared White
Onion, Chipotle Shrimp, Lamb Barbacoa from the Backyard Grill and Modern
Mexican Chocolate Flan with Kahlua.
A lot of heart and soul as well as time went into this book. Most
recipes not only contain variations and improvisations, but also include
some shortcuts and many with advanced preparation ideas to help today's
busy cook. With 150 recipes in over 420 pages these recipes were written
in complete detail. Ingredients are almost all available in regular
grocery stores with only a few at specialty stores. Mexican Kitchen is
definitely a cookbook to add to your collection.
Mexican Kitchen by Rick Bayless is published by Scribner Publishing.
Exceptional recipes written with a lot of passion and love for food. A
good book to add to any shelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, but..., 9 April 2008
Mr. Lee R. Bale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexican Kitchen (Paperback)

I'm not saying don't buy this book as I made some wonderful enchiladas from one of the recipes, and it does provide an insight into the mexican kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every kitchen!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
For anyone who likes Mexican food, Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen is a must! Easy to follow recipes using ingredients found in most supermarkets makes it a pleasure to use this informative and enjoyable cookbook!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but...., 17 Sep 1998
By A Customer
...the writing style is pretty chatty and the recipes are often original rather than traditional. This may be what you prefer.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has become my cooking bible., 3 Nov 1997
By A Customer
If you have only had fast food tacos and burritos, this book and its marvelous recipes will change your perceptions about Mexican food forever. Once you've made some of the "essential" salsas, you may never look at bottled salsa again. I have attempted several of the recipes in this book, both from the rice and bean basics to more of the complex and rich mole sauces. One mole recipe in particular was a smash at a recent dinner party where I fed 25 people. As I finished up desert in the kitchen, I noticed the noise in my living room was replaced with silence as everyone was eating away, soon followed by general agreement that it was some of the best food they ever had. There were several requests for the recipes and I passed the book around and urged everyone to get it. There are many more recipes I look forward to trying and even then, I cannot wait for Bayless's next book. Bayless expresses his opinion on the need to seek out such rare and/or misunderstood ingredients such as epazote and lard. He makes this book a pleasure to read and fun for the reader to use his/her own imagination to experiment with flavors as one seeks to put their own individual stamp on the recipes. My only recommendation would be to include more mail order places for readers to order seeds and hard-to-find ingrediants at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 23 Jan 1997
By A Customer
I'm an avid cook and voracious reader of cook books and this is one of the best. The 14 "essential" building blocks of mexican cooking provide rare insight into the flavors of mexico that are so good my fridge is now filled with small bowls of Ancho, pasilla and the unbelievable chipotle pastes. I now use them everywhere. each wonderful recipe ends with a list of ideas about variations and substitutes. If you haven't discovered the wonders of chiles this will give you a great intro, if you have, it will give you a whole new approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, eat it, love it!, 14 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Coming from LA I grew up with great Mexican food. Now living in NZ I miss it. Rick Bayless's book turned our home into the best Mexican food spot in the country. I highly recommend this book to any lover of Mexican food....and especially those who do not have easy access to Mexican restaraunts. The recipes are simple to follow and, in most cases, not too time consuming. I now pre-make many of the basics and keep them on hand so a Mexican meal is only minutes away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 6 Mar 2014
Mr. G. Snow - See all my reviews
Lovingly (and very well) written but perhaps not the book for those who only want to dabble in the occasional Mexican meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bayless's enthusiasm makes the book, 19 April 1999
By A Customer
Simply read a recipe from Bayless's book and you'll want to hit the kitchen and start cooking! His teaching style is unpretentious - quite welcome - and you can literally feel textures and smell aromas of the recipes simply by reading their descriptions. This volume is fairly complete as it comes with many sidebars about ingredients and special cooking techniques. His creations are authentic, yet most are quite accessible for the adventurous and curious home cook. This is another cookbook where you can simply sit and read - but you'll have difficulty avoiding the kitchen.

Mexican Kitchen: Rick Bayless's
Mexican Kitchen: Rick Bayless's by Rick Bayless (Hardcover - 1998)
Used & New from: 7.67