5.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly fish
Published on 30 Jan 2010 by heliwr

3.0 out of 5 stars may give it away
This looks an interesting book. I did buy it as a gift for someone but I may be tempted to keep it for myself.
Published on 12 April 2011 by H. BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly fish, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Paper Automata: Four Working Models to Cut Out and Glue Together (Make Shapes Series) (Paperback)
Enjoyed making these models, they need to be cut accurately with a craft knife and steel rule so they wre not suitable for young children although my 6 yr old was able to help with the glueing. We made the models in the order of the book, prancing sheep followed by pecking hen, then flying fish. The Motley man will have to wait for half term or the next snow storm. Unlike Mr Eldridge in the review above I think the Flying fish is by far the trickiest of the first three models and it did not work too well. The chicken (in my opinion the easiest) is good fun as are the sheep. Overall good value for money giving quite a few hours of enjoyment.
So after a bit of fiddling the fish flies well, you just need to concentrate on being accurate and letting the glue dry properly. The motley man was completed over the Easter school holidays and works well. I'm looking forward to the release of Amazing Paper Pets by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fumbling with sticky fingers, 29 Dec 2003
Mr David W Eldridge (Leyburn, N.Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Thankyou Santa! Of the strange things people choose to buy for their friends as presents, this was up there with the best. Each model is individual and quirkey. The instructions are clear and the end results are very pleasing. I would suggest starting with the 'flying fish' model as that is the simplest to construct, moving on to the three 'hopping sheep', that my children find richly entertaining. Perhaps my favourite of the models in this collection is the 'flying fish', it has a gorgeous sinuous movement that seems to defy logic when in motion. The final model 'motley man' has an ingenius and I think unique mechanism. A good deal of care is needed when constucting it. The final novel chin stretch reminds me of a thoughtful Stephen Fry! Perhaps a collection of famous people would lend themselves to Mr. Ives' creative skills? The quality of production is good, the only possible draw back is that one needs an extra copy of the book for the bookshelf. Splendid entertainment, an absolute bargain, that I would recommend to anyone trying to escape unattractive t.v schedules.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paper Automata, 14 July 2010
This book contains four models to cut out and glue together. The cutting out needs to be done accurately (idealy with a craft knife) so this is not suitable for small children. However, I cut out all the parts and had great fun sticking them together with my six year old son. You need to use a glue that dries clear. We used Copydex which sets quickly so you don't have to hold the parts together for too long and also, if your carefull, allows you to undo your mistakes. So far we've made the jumping sheep and look forward to doing the rest. This book is well written and the pages are colourful and thick enough to give parts the rigidity necessary to construct an automata. Ideal for a patient parent to have on the shelf ready to bring out on one of those wet rainy summer holiday afternoons! ENJOY

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 12 April 2013
ruth (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Found these quite straightforward and absorbing to make. They are cut from good quality card so they look like they won't fall apart easily. Looking forward to trying his new book now. Having said that my house is getting a bit full of strange little things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Paper Fun, 13 Mar 2013
My daughter really enjoyed making these models. I would recommend using a fast grab pva with it (i.e. Evo Stik Resin W wood glue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully entertaining, fun to put together for children and adults, 19 April 2012
I can't remember how this book turned up in our household, and it did sit on the shelf for a while being admired, but one day when my 6 year old son was 'bored', we sat down and made his choice of puppets first (the hopping sheep). We've since done the pecking hen, and each time I'm not sure who had more fun. We both found it worked best for him to roughly cut out the shapes (as advised), then I scored them with the help of a ruler, and then he was able to accurately cut out the outside of the shapes afterwards - no need for special equipment, the fiddly internal cutouts I did with a sharp small fruit knife, leaning on a clean chopping board. He then folded the pieces, and helped me find the right pieces to glue together - we used some UHU and then changed to Bostik clear, with a toothpick to help dab onto the smaller areas. The whole process takes some hours, usually over a couple of sessions, but we both found it relaxing and rewarding, and truly the results are worth it! The mechanics are great, and the movements of the sheep hilarious (their funny expressions help), and the kids have had great fun putting peas and seeds in the feeding bowl for the hen to peck at. I'm looking forward to the next rainy afternoon to complete the next project, and my son has taken each one into show and tell, with a great deal of pride. Highly recommended, and would get more of the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob Ives the Paper world Genius, 8 May 2007
Each model is amazing fun to put together, usually I hate making things because I'm extremely clumsy, but the models are a fantastic way of relaxing and having fun.

A lovely present for a friends birthday or for Christmas and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, 11 July 2014
Excellent fun book for hours of enjoyment

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 July 2014
Great!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paper Automata, 2 Dec 2013
I bought this book for my daughter in law as one of her birthday presents this year, she is very creative and loves origami. I know she will love making things for her 3 year old son Daniel.