5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever!
I bought this book when I first moved out of home into digs in 1992! Little did I realise how much I would use it, and I still use it now when I need to know the most basic of things (after 12 years of living on my own, there are still plenty of things I don't know how to do in the kitchen, even tho' I love cooking!).
My copy is now so battered, so when I found my...
Published on 22 Jun. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but ignores the invention of microwave cooking
I wanted to "expand my horizons" so I got this before my first year but in the end had no need to use it, didn't use it.

Published 15 months ago by Miami

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever!, 22 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
My copy is now so battered, so when I found my little sister was moving into her own place for the first time, I had to buy her a copy. What a bargain and what an investment - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not assume you know anything!, 19 Feb. 2007
Ms. Claire L. Stringer (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
Does not assume you know anything! The book is the best money spent ever!! Even what other cook books would class as basic knowledge is explained - I'm not a student (I just cannot cook) and bought this book on recommendation from a friend, the best recommendation I have ever acted upon. Things explained such as basic cheese sauce, spag bol and everything that I always thought I would need to buy in packets/jars are easily made. The only downside is a lack of pictures but directions are so simple you do not need to see what it is supposed to look like, it just looks like it! An amazing buy - buy it for yourself and then you will want to buy it and hand it out to everyone you meet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grub for Everyone!, 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
A better title would be "Grub for Everyone"! Although Amazon are selling this at a giveaway price, especially if you buy enough copies to avoid postage, it has cost me loads! I have indeed given copies to students, but also kept a copy for myself. Good nourishing basic economical cooking, with new ideas for a cook of over 50 years' experience. I meet folk on the bus etc. struggling to make ends meet, no longer affording TakeAways during the recession. This book is often a life-belt. Some people don't know how to cook, no-one has ever shown them. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is sensible, no stuffing pheasants in this cook book, or marinated oysters, in this one. Sorry I can't lend you one to look at! Busy Lizzie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great help to all amateurs without any cash, 5 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
A really useful guide to complete beginners. Jan Arkless can make tinned (CHEAP!) meat taste good in a recipe. I especially recommend the shepherds pie.
If you're looking for a way to learn and you're on a shoe string this is the book to start with definately! Worth getting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead good., 12 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
This book really did help me through uni. It's got millions of recipe ideas and variations and I'm even using it now I've left uni. Come on! At a price like that you can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and Brilliant!, 16 Feb. 2010
K. Andrews (Derby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
Like another reviewer, I bought my copy years ago, possibly AFTER leaving university, but still use it regularly now because it's such a great reference guide for cooking simple food. I used it mostly for roast times (modern labels tend to advise far too long in the oven so that they don't get sued for food poisoning, when someone's oven is less powerful than the average) and instructions on cooking new vegetables, as most of my meals are not done from scratch, but I will soon be using it to expand my repertoire as I'm off work on maternity leave and want more variety and healthier meals on my weekly menu. I recently found a recipe for bread and butter pudding in there and it was so simple, I'm tempted to cook it every week!

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever!, 10 Mar. 2008
J. A. Griffiths "johnantoni" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
simply the best cookbook bar none, bin the rest keep this.

also pancakes filled with bolognase is excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but ignores the invention of microwave cooking, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)

My college at university provided for any food I needed (allegedly subsidised), and this book was unused - it really ignores the invention of the microwave - which is in every student kitchen and convenient. It tells you how to cook beans on toast using a saucepan but folks beans can be microwaved in three minutes and it's the preferred cooking method on the manufacturer's guidelines! Many food and veg can be microwaved and you will inevitably discover the benefits of instant cooking when shopping in the supermarkets. The student in a dorm or shared flat has little time to get out lots of pans and saucepans and heat things up in a kitchen (which, by the way, is being used as well by many other people) so why produce a book for this audience if you just ignore 21st century living.

I think the author should integrate microwave cooking and focus on food hygiene and technicalities in cooking (timings etc). She should get rid of stupid things like "beans on toast" and focus on cooking basic foods - like the stuff on eggs - are there other ways of cooking the food and what about cooking lentils for example, and what about cooking themed foods like thai food?

3.0 out of 5 stars Student Grub, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
Good book but dont make the mistake I made and buy How To Boil An Egg by same auther as the books contain the same recipies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your teenager cooking, 7 Feb. 2009
purplelorri (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Student Grub (Paperback)
This is a great book for the getting your reluctant teenagers cooking for themselves or the family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Student Grub
Student Grub by Jan Arkless (Paperback - 31 May 1966)